No more volunteers for DLR races?

I think that DL was a bit more free with the free park tickets than WDW is (I have one "credit" with the disney volunteer group for doing Princess 5K a couple years ago and need a few more before I can get a ticket, but I think it was easier with DL), and they have to make all those shirts and snackboxes for the volunteers.

So it might even out. They might still have shirts BUT the employees would give them back once their temp assignment was done. No snackboxes. No free tickets.

Then again, it's Disney. They create a problem, they add it, then they charge for it. Doesn't matter if it changes the prices at all for them.

I'm interested to see how this plays out in terms of both experience (for the runners) and cost of races. I hope WDW doesn't do this, I love the volunteers there! But time will tell.

I would think it may well impact the interaction with the workers. Volunteers are usually so awesome because they obviously really want to be there. I'm not sure that someone doing it for a paycheck will be quite as committed to the fun of the event. Of course, I'm hoping we don't see this add to the already high prices, but it sure seems like that would be likely. At least for now, looks like WDW isn't planning on going that route.

Does this lawsuit against Competitor have anything to do with this? :scratchin

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/race-volunteers-lawsuit-against-competitor-group-will-go-forward

(GOOD LORD, Runner's World has so many ads!)

The Mouseplanet article says the DL decision was not related to this lawsuit. Or rather, that is what Disney told Mouseplanet. I think there is some connection here between the dismissed lawsuit and DL decision to go with paid "volunteers." In CA, many of the locals were volunteering to get the DL ticket to the point that the volunteer spots were filled almost immediately. The volunteers had no or limited connection with a charity and it would have been an uphill battle for Disney to connect the volunteers to a charitable entity. WDW races are more organized and have a stronger connection to charities. When I ran Goofy 2009 for the Children's A-T Project, I know that the charity was assigned an aid station. Thus, a direct connection between a charity and the volunteers. I am sure there are exceptions of course on both coasts, but Disney saw something that makes it worth their while to contract for temporary employees instead of providing a free ticket and other incidental perks.

Or maybe DL wants to phase out the free park tickets for volunteering in advance of Star Wars Land as a way to get the local market to pay for tickets during Southern California AP Blackout periods.

Last edited:
That's an interesting development.

My initial thought is that the water stations and other staffed area won't be as energetic as when they were staffed with charity volunteers. I could be (and hope I am) wrong.

I am really sad to see this and hope they don't bring it to WDW. I agree with the concerns about the workers not being the same as volunteers. I wouldn't think it is a cost saving measure because I think the cost of the ticket and the amount they are going to pay are pretty similar. Plus they have to pay a staffing agency now. And if they are giving people a ticket aren't they more likely to come back and spend money? I will be anxious to hear what people think about it after Tinker Bell.

This may seem like a really silly question, but as one who tries to thank volunteers at every opportunity, should I still do this if I know the support staff is paid? I imagine I would because they are still providing a much needed service to me, but it seems a little weird if they are only there for a pay check.

"Disney says the change was made, 'in order to continue to provide the world-class experience our race participants have come to expect.'"

This sentence is bizarre to me. Not sure how this is an improvement for runners? I've had nothing but great experiences with race volunteers (though I know that is not true for everyone).

The article does say that past volunteers can apply for these new temp positions, which is making me think more and more that this is either their way of not having to give out park tickets or that it does have to do with the Competitor lawsuit and they just don't want to say so. :confused3 It also sounds like the application process is more stringent now (criminal background checks, etc.).

that it does have to do with the Competitor lawsuit and they just don't want to say so
This just reminded of something said when I volunteered at Wine and Dine. Our leader said Disney really wants to highlight the charities now and she gave us a big spiel about the charity. She also mentioned they changed the shirts to focus on the charity and not the event. I thought they were really trying to focus on the charity but after reading that article about the lawsuit and the complaint that they are just using the charities makes me say hmmmmmm :scratchin

I know they say officially it has nothing to do with the lawsuits but I bet it does. Easier to get ahead of a problem then face it in court even when you are as big as Disney.

Also what went into being a volunteer before? Did the background check the people who were handing out water or food items? Also it is easy to hold people accountable if they are employees (even temp) then volunteers. Hopefully since it is a paid position there will be a little more training involved before hand and less what I experienced from a few runner relations volunteers who felt like they need to be the runDisney police even though runDisney officials were okaying what was happening.

This may seem like a really silly question, but as one who tries to thank volunteers at every opportunity, should I still do this if I know the support staff is paid? I imagine I would because they are still providing a much needed service to me, but it seems a little weird if they are only there for a pay check.

I thank employees of businesses all the time. I am happy when I am thanked at my job. It's not something you have to do in this situation, but I wouldn't feel weird about it. If the moment moves you to say Thanks! for a cup of water I think that's fine even if they are paid to be there. Especially if they do it in a nice manner to you.

Guess us Tinkerbells are the guinea pigs. Will report back!

WDW races are more organized and have a stronger connection to charities.

?

When I volunteered January 2015 I was just a volunteer. I had no connection. Heck, disney hardly had a charity connection. They put the name on the shirts but there's no transparency of if or how much they donate. Imo their charity thing is just for the awareness and not much else.

Do you thank the police officers who work races? They are getting paid.

"Disney says the change was made, 'in order to continue to provide the world-class experience our race participants have come to expect.'"

This sentence is bizarre to me. Not sure how this is an improvement for runners? I've had nothing but great experiences with race volunteers (though I know that is not true for everyone).

I'm going to guess that Disney knows what was going on more than we do. Perhaps they've had problems that we don't know about.

I just remembered that the recent volunteers at a run were really lackluster and unhelpful. The volunteers at Hot Chocolate Seattle...some were great. The others had their faces in their phones or were just talking to each other. Maybe if they are employees they have more say over behavior.

And maybe weird stuff was happening.

Did the background check the people who were handing out water or food items?

Not when I volunteered. At Light Side and I think Princess this year I noticed that the volunteers had big official lanyards with name tags in them. I thought that was a nice step up.

?
I just remembered that the recent volunteers at a run were really lackluster and unhelpful. The volunteers at Hot Chocolate Seattle...some were great. The others had their faces in their phones or were just talking to each other. Maybe if they are employees they have more say over behavior.

And maybe weird stuff was happening..

I know for a fact volunteers have a habit of stealing medals. Maybe since people will be paid they can police that. I know I've worked many retail jobs where you had to turn out pockets and have bags inspected every night when you left. Even Disney does random searches of park CMs both coming and going from work.

Going from memory the issue with Competitor is that the fees for the races never went to the charities. The fees went to Competitor and the charities were really only allowed to be a presence. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I am not sure exactly how that works with Disney. If even a portion of the registration fees go the charities then I suspect this has nothing to do with that lawsuit. Of course I think all profit from the races should go to the charities like most races do after operating and promotional costs are deducted but that is something I previously mentioned on the saturation thread so I won't rehash it further here.

The accounting works differently at DL than WDW so this very well might not make it to WDW. At DL I suspect Disney is less likely to recuperate the lost ticket revenue with other in park purchases. This is because more guests (and I would bet as an extension more volunteers) are locals, more stay off property, more leave to eat, and more stay a shorter duration. At WDW giving away a single park day to someone more likely to be staying in your hotel, eating every meal in your restaurants, and paying to get into the parks more days before and/or after your one comped day makes more financial sense.

Back during the give a day get a Disney day promotion I volunteered and got a free day in the parks. Because I had that free day I registered for and ran the Wine & Dine half, stayed two nights in a Disney resort, ate every meal for two days in Disney restaurants, and bought merchandise. I would not have even made the trip without that free day. Disney made their single park admission back many times over on me. At WDW I think the free single park admission is a loss leader that translates better to net positive revenue than it does at DL.

Just some speculation on my part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter