NoKidsNoSpousesNoCOVID!! Adults only girls trip May 2021

Peach026

Mouseketeer
Hi Disboards!

Now that I've got shot #1 down I was happy to book a last minute - very spontaneous - mom's only trip with a girlfriend for next month. No kids, no husbands, hopefully no COVID ... fingers crossed! We'll be heading to Dockside Inn May 16-19, flying in from two different parts of New England. First trip in a long time (pre Diagon Alley) for my friend, first trip without kids for me! We have four day park tickets, no hoppers because $$$. I know we can't ride the Hogwarts Express, but I'm cool with it and feel super confident we'll be able to do plenty without hopping.

On the agenda..
Sunday: Universal Orlando, Toothsome for dinner, try to get as much done outside of Diagon Alley, maybe if crowds are lighter, hitting it up late in the day
Monday - IOA at the crack of dawn, will try to ride Hagrids and then see as much of Hogsmeade as possible before it gets too nuts. Need dinner recs here... I was thinking a late breakfast at the Three Broomsticks.
Tuesday - Back to UO for early entry into Diagon Alley if its offered... I vaguely remember only IOA being open for early hours during my last trip in 2019... Will have to look into it! Revisit any stops we loved from Sunday
Wednesday - back to IOA, not sure if we'll get in early. Will play it by ear, we fly out in the early afternoon. Hope to at least get some shops and fun in before we head home to reality!

Few notable details.
- I'm EXTRA SQUISHY AKA BIG MAMA! I haven't done any real coasters at the Universal parks since 2015, at the time I remember being VERY uncomfortable in Gringotts, but that was the only major ride we did (via rider swap since I had kiddos with me). I'm up about 30 lbs since that time and I'm ... nervous. Luckily I know universal is good about having test seats out in the open. I fit OK on ALL the disney rides (minetrain is tight, but I'm in!, space mountain is fine, Everest fine...). I haven't tried any of the "alternative" seating on any coasters... Anyways you get it. I'm nervous. On a STRICT diet here, but let's face it there's only so much one woman can do about her waistline in a month. It'll be interesting to compare UO and IOA to my normal WDW parks. Plus sized and proud, but I'm really hoping it doesn't put too much of a damper on our trip.
- I need ALL the snacks and drink deets! I am a WDW expert (read: I AM THE MAP) but Universal is just not in wheelhouse. I've done several one day trips since 2010, but one day trips move fast and word on the street (aka Craig and Rhino) say the food has gotten way better! So what are my must do's? On my list so far is Central Park Crepes and a Butterbeer of course.
- I know the month of April has brought Spring Break crowds to Orlando. Really hoping our dates are late enough that the parks done hit capacity. The plan is to head in at opening most days, go back to the hotel to relax midday, and then head back in late.

Send all your tips! I'm so excited!

I don't have any tips, because I too haven't been in a long time. However, I will be there the same week as you, with my DD20. Really looking forward to it. I am also larger, and watched some Youtube videos by Pammie Parks Plus, which made me feel better -- she gives a lot of detailed information about the various rides, seating, fit, etc. I hope you have fun!

Fellow plus size human here (albeit I do not look it especially since my genetics gave me broad shoulders and no chest). It honestly depends on the ride for me at universal. If it has a test seat test it out. Keep in mind if you are like me with a plus size body that is weird the bigger seats might swallow you in other areas. The only rides I have ever felt uncomfortable with were Revenge of the Mummy and because I am short, my feet don't touch the bottom of the ride vehicle on Gringotts (but I still love it!). There are lots of plant based and healthy food options and don't be afraid to ask! You have to get the Granny Smith Apple or the Earl Grey&Lavendar ice cream from Florean Fortescues in Diagon Alley. Also Leaky Cauldron has excellent breakfast and lunch options, and I do love the food at Simpsons Fast Food Boulevard.
Above all remember to have fun!

I will be there then as well. I saw the hours came out today for 5/16 and I was happy to see a 9pm closing for UO. I thought I saw 7pm closings somewhere.

I don't have any solid recs on restaurants as I have never been there before, but I, too, am a WDW pro! This will be new for many of us! We have a toothsome reservation one day and big fire reservation another day. I also thought the menu Lombard's seafood grille looked really good.

Regarding the crowds, I did see they were predicted to be "moderate" on some website I looked at (can't remember which now). That was the second lowest out of four, so that is great!

Citywalk: Cowfish is a really good meal. Antojitos also a very good meal! Voodoo donuts look really cool but are only moderate as far as actual tasty donut-ness. Tasty & cost effective quick meals: Red Oven Pizza & Breadbox sandwiches.

As BroadwayHermione indicated, Florean Fortescues is not to be missed - yum soft serve! Although, that donut sundae is also in Universal Studios side - why don't they spread the ice cream out? A sundae made on a split donut is just a wonderful idea & quite a lovely snack... or lunch. Note that calories don't count on vacation when you're doing a lot of walking.

I don't have any tips, because I too haven't been in a long time. However, I will be there the same week as you, with my DD20. Really looking forward to it. I am also larger, and watched some Youtube videos by Pammie Parks Plus, which made me feel better -- she gives a lot of detailed information about the various rides, seating, fit, etc. I hope you have fun!
Thank you!! I'll def be checking out those videos. It must be fun traveling with an adult child! I've done mommy/kid trips before and every stage changes. Isn't it awesome!

Fellow plus size human here (albeit I do not look it especially since my genetics gave me broad shoulders and no chest). It honestly depends on the ride for me at universal. If it has a test seat test it out. Keep in mind if you are like me with a plus size body that is weird the bigger seats might swallow you in other areas. The only rides I have ever felt uncomfortable with were Revenge of the Mummy and because I am short, my feet don't touch the bottom of the ride vehicle on Gringotts (but I still love it!). There are lots of plant based and healthy food options and don't be afraid to ask! You have to get the Granny Smith Apple or the Earl Grey&Lavendar ice cream from Florean Fortescues in Diagon Alley. Also Leaky Cauldron has excellent breakfast and lunch options, and I do love the food at Simpsons Fast Food Boulevard.
Above all remember to have fun!
MMMM a granny smith ice cream DOES sound good, and with the Fl heat I'll def need a cool down! I remember eating at the Simpsons place years ago.... but gosh I don't remember what I had. It was like 4 or 5 different "booths" or food areas all in one building right? I remember thinking it just looked really cool. Where did my memory go, I'm only 35!

I will be there then as well. I saw the hours came out today for 5/16 and I was happy to see a 9pm closing for UO. I thought I saw 7pm closings somewhere.

I don't have any solid recs on restaurants as I have never been there before, but I, too, am a WDW pro! This will be new for many of us! We have a toothsome reservation one day and big fire reservation another day. I also thought the menu Lombard's seafood grille looked really good.

Regarding the crowds, I did see they were predicted to be "moderate" on some website I looked at (can't remember which now). That was the second lowest out of four, so that is great!

WOOOOO YOU MADE MY MORNING! I DID see a 7pm closing a few days ago and was bummed. Now the rest of the week needs to open up! It'll be fun to close the park if its open later! Did you see Craig/Rhino's review on Big Fire? I'm thinking about trying it out too. "Moderate" isn't too bad I feel like. Right now it seems bananas in Florida at all the parks! If I keep watching how crowded it is it'll get me happy about moderate haha

Citywalk: Cowfish is a really good meal. Antojitos also a very good meal! Voodoo donuts look really cool but are only moderate as far as actual tasty donut-ness. Tasty & cost effective quick meals: Red Oven Pizza & Breadbox sandwiches.

As BroadwayHermione indicated, Florean Fortescues is not to be missed - yum soft serve! Although, that donut sundae is also in Universal Studios side - why don't they spread the ice cream out? A sundae made on a split donut is just a wonderful idea & quite a lovely snack... or lunch. Note that calories don't count on vacation when you're doing a lot of walking.
Donut Sundae?! Yes please! I've heard so many good things about Cowfish... we might need to check that one out too!

Donut Sundae?! Yes please! I've heard so many good things about Cowfish... we might need to check that one out too!

Cowfish is wonderful, it was probably my favorite meal when we went in 2017. Their cocktails are really nice as well.

MMMM a granny smith ice cream DOES sound good, and with the Fl heat I'll def need a cool down! I remember eating at the Simpsons place years ago.... but gosh I don't remember what I had. It was like 4 or 5 different "booths" or food areas all in one building right? I remember thinking it just looked really cool. Where did my memory go, I'm only 35!
Its sooooo good! Yes Fast Food Boulevard is in the building that also houses Moe's right next to the ride. It has changed how things operate multiple times and idk about Covid with mobile ordering or not but yeah its great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter