Non-Theme Park activities

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi guys!

My DH and I (no kids) would like to do "non-theme parks activities" in the Universal area --no cars, no intention to get out of the area-- between 6:00 PM and 10:00 PM for 2 nights in a row.

Free or cheap/affordable activities are the best...

What are your favorite places to take walks or hang out?

Thanks in advance!

p.s.: We already planned to play mini-golf on one of those nights.

Bowling Alley at Cabana Bay is fun. Bar 17 (the rooftop bar on top of Aventura) I also hear is great. They have a DJ up there Thurs - Sat from 8:00pm to Midnight and I hear the views are spectacular.

Strong Water Tavern is a nice place to get a drink and some small plates and sit outside overlooking the resort. Catch a movie at City Walk. I’ve heard Pat O’briens is a really fun night with the piano bar vibe.

I used my AP discount for a Blue Man Group ticket last trip. I enjoyed the show but wish I had earplugs it was so loud (I'm definitely getting old!) Not cheap though.

Several of the bars/restaurants have live music but there can be a cover charge after a certain time.

I used my AP discount for a Blue Man Group ticket last trip. I enjoyed the show but wish I had earplugs it was so loud (I'm definitely getting old!) Not cheap though.

Several of the bars/restaurants have live music but there can be a cover charge after a certain time.

I'd have a hard time bringing my husband to a concert (he's very picky)... But a bar or a restaurant could be nice.

We were thinking of Margaritaville (we love Margaritaville).

I wonder how the walk is between Endless Summer Resort and Cabana Bay/Sapphire Falls?

It'll be a good 20-30 minute walk, and crossing the highway overpass so it's likely not an easy trek.

I'm guessing you would best take the free transport that drops you off at citywalk to then transfer to another shuttle to take you to CB or Sapphire Falls

It'll be a good 20-30 minute walk, and crossing the highway overpass so it's likely not an easy trek.

I'm guessing you would best take the free transport that drops you off at citywalk to then transfer to another shuttle to take you to CB or Sapphire Falls

I did not know we could do that.

Rising star Tuesday-Saturday has live band for the karaoke
(Sunday/Monday recorded tracks)

Small cover charge and closes at 2 am

Fun way to spend an evening there

Sit and enjoy!

I wonder how the walk is between Endless Summer Resort and Cabana Bay/Sapphire Falls?
Not sure it’s very walkable. It’s on the other side of the highway. It will have a shuttle to Citywalk so I’d use that to transfer to Cabana Bay bus. We passed those resorts on our way to returning rental car to the Four Points with the big globe on roof. They were away from the main Universal property.

Not sure it’s very walkable. It’s on the other side of the highway. It will have a shuttle to Citywalk so I’d use that to transfer to Cabana Bay bus. We passed those resorts on our way to returning rental car to the Four Points with the big globe on roof. They were away from the main Universal property.

That was my concern. I heard you can get to all the hotels from City Walk (takes about 30 minutes) but going from one hotel to another can be a bit more complicated.

That was my concern. I heard you can get to all the hotels from City Walk (takes about 30 minutes) but going from one hotel to another can be a bit more complicated.
Yes. By busses at city walk and the 3 Deluxe hotels have water taxi and Sapphire Falls also.
It’s easy to get between Royal Pacific, Sapphire Falls and Cabana Bay. They’re fairly close to each other connected by walking path. Hard Rock and Portofino Bay are near each other also connected by walking path.

Hard Rock Cafe has a VIP tour (or at least called that when I did it, either way the tour still exists). It's free. It's amazing for someone who is into rock / music history. You learn a lot. See a lot of things the public typically doesn't see, as well as the Hard Rock Live areas. However, I got my original tour from Jeff Nolan, so it might be a different experience now when it comes to the information / stories. Regardless, it's cool seeing some of the things you get to see.

Hard Rock Cafe has a VIP tour (or at least called that when I did it, either way the tour still exists). It's free. It's amazing for someone who is into rock / music history. You learn a lot. See a lot of things the public typically doesn't see, as well as the Hard Rock Live areas. However, I got my original tour from Jeff Nolan, so it might be a different experience now when it comes to the information / stories. Regardless, it's cool seeing some of the things you get to see.

Do you just need to ask the host about taking the tour? We've never taken the tour (nor been in the HRC at USO), but our kiddo is now into music big-time, so I this this will be a good use of time.

Do you just need to ask the host about taking the tour? We've never taken the tour (nor been in the HRC at USO), but our kiddo is now into music big-time, so I this this will be a good use of time.

Mine was a surprise, so unfortunately I do not know the process of making arrangements. We were having dinner when he came to the table and let me know that afterward I would be having the VIP tour. However, whenever I go eat there, I do ask if they still have it, and confirm they have it and they seem pretty casual about it.

I would suggest calling to ask how it would work, as I do not know if you can ask the hostess and they would be able to have someone almost immediately to do the tour, or you can say something, but have enough time for lunch/dinner before doing the tour, or have to make an appointment (whether same day, or at another day).

I believe for us it took us a couple of hours, so as casual and laid back as the waiters seem about it when I ask, I would imagine they would need a little bit of a warning so they have the right person available for it. As you're not just having someone guide you into these areas, but someone who knows their knowledge about music / rock and has stories to tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!