not sure if resort matters more than use year?

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
We have 160 SSR points we bought in 2008. August use year. We don't hate SSR, but have only stayed there twice and like other places like BWV, BLT, Poly.
I have never had any issues booking the other resorts 7 months out except I had to waitlist our Poly stay last year to get the lagoon view. It came through pretty quickly. I am a teacher so it is March, April, or summer.
I have been idly looking at resales but it seems my use year is a rare one or it is in a resort I don't care about. After our trip last week with grandchild #1 (#2 on the way) I realize I want to shore up our points (next trip is a big family one needing at least a 2BR in 2021). We usually take one big trip a year because we fly, and mostly it is just DH and I in a studio. When I retire in 2022 or 2023 hopefully we will be moving further south and can use it more.
So...should I stay hyperfocused on use year? And should I save $ and add to SSR points or try to get some BLT/Poly points with the same use year?

I see plenty of August use year for SSR, how many points you looking for? Smaller contracts 100 and under don’t come up much, when they do, you need to be looking several times a day and grab it fast, they also cost more per point usually.

I also find quite a few Aug UY SSR contracts. Just depends on the number of points your thinking of.

If you keep the same use year you will only have one membership number (meaning you will not need to transfer points from one account to another). This could be a big advantage. The resort simply sets your 11 month window. So if you have them at two different resorts you won’t be able to use all the points in on trip at the 7 month mark. That could also be an issue depending on how you plan to use your points. Though if you have enough you can always bank/borrow for one resort anyway.

If you keep the same use year you will only have one membership number (meaning you will not need to transfer points from one account to another). This could be a big advantage. The resort simply sets your 11 month window. So if you have them at two different resorts you won’t be able to use all the points in on trip at the 7 month mark. That could also be an issue depending on how you plan to use your points. Though if you have enough you can always bank/borrow for one resort anyway.
Well you could use all the points together, but you would have to transfer from one account to the other then call MS to book reservation

Well you could use all the points together, but you would have to transfer from one account to the other then call MS to book reservation
And you are limited to one transfer (in or out) per year. Manageable, but not ideal. I'd say wait for the same use year

I have no exp with this, but I thought if you are named on both contracts you can transfer as many times as you like?

I’m pretty sure it’s only one per year. But I am not
I think MS has been known to waive it when trading from yourself to yourself. Though you are correct the Rules and Regulations specifically state one transfer (in or out) but in practice DVC has been more lax on this front when the Deeds are titled the same. But this might not last, DVC could decide to change at any time.

I have no exp with this, but I thought if you are named on both contracts you can transfer as many times as you like?
The rule is "one per use year per membership, either into or out of the membership, but not both in the same use year."

That said, MS will often waive the rule for transfers between memberships owned by the same Member. We can't / shouldn't count on it, though.

Use year is so important for us to keep the same! We now have 3 contracts all with the same (hard to find) use year. I say hard to find because I remember years ago seeing a chart with the uy’s For every resort and ours was the second smallest number for every one! That just means we had to wait longer to find our ideal resale contract- but it was doable!!

Having the same use year means that for any trip less than 7 months out, we can combine points to use anywhere- so easy, no transfer...nothing! And we have planned 2 short notice trips already this year so having all those points in a “lump” was great!

When we go for our next one (if we ever have money after paying car insurance on 2 teenage drivers) we will insist on waiting for that UY again!

Use year is so important for us to keep the same! We now have 3 contracts all with the same (hard to find) use year. I say hard to find because I remember years ago seeing a chart with the uy’s For every resort and ours was the second smallest number for every one! That just means we had to wait longer to find our ideal resale contract- but it was doable!!

Having the same use year means that for any trip less than 7 months out, we can combine points to use anywhere- so easy, no transfer...nothing! And we have planned 2 short notice trips already this year so having all those points in a “lump” was great!

When we go for our next one (if we ever have money after paying car insurance on 2 teenage drivers) we will insist on waiting for that UY again!
I couldn't agree more.

It depends on how often (if at all) you expect to mix your points together. If you definitely wanted to buy at your current resort then finding the same use year would be a priority. But if you anticipate booking seperately at the 11 month windows a different use year gives you two membership numbers which in turn gives you 48 one time use points, 4 waitlists, and 2 transfers.

I have three contracts and two use years - it works well for me.

Hello, I’m hoping that my resale contract goes through for Polynesian, but I wanted to make sure I understood this correctly. Let’s say I buy 175 points at Poly, and later decide to buy 75 points at a different resort (let’s say the Riviera) with the same UY as the Poly contract. Does that mean I could, 1x a year, transfer all of my Poly points for use at Riviera so I’d have 250 points to use with the 11-month window?

I hope my question made sense. Thank you!

Hello, I’m hoping that my resale contract goes through for Polynesian, but I wanted to make sure I understood this correctly. Let’s say I buy 175 points at Poly, and later decide to buy 75 points at a different resort (let’s say the Riviera) with the same UY as the Poly contract. Does that mean I could, 1x a year, transfer all of my Poly points for use at Riviera so I’d have 250 points to use with the 11-month window?

I hope my question made sense. Thank you!
No, the home resort priority remains with the points, so you'll only have 175 pts for Poly and 75 for x resort to use during the 11 month window. At 7 months, those points can be combined for a single booking if the same UY.

No, the home resort priority remains with the points, so you'll only have 175 pts for Poly and 75 for x resort to use during the 11 month window. At 7 months, those points can be combined for a single booking if the same UY.

Ah ok, thank you.

I'd go with the same use year. I'm just a big fan of keeping it simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter