Not very excited to be going back

tink20

DIS Veteran
The last time we went was in June 2016. We had fun, but we had been the previous summer (which we had an awesome time) and the 2016 trip was just okay, with some "not fun" moments. (Very crowded, couldn't find anywhere to sit for meals, lots of rain and rides broke down and hot, but we are used to that)

So, we skipped this year and did a relaxing beach vacation close to home. We are going back to Disney in June 2018, everyone is excited except me (which I haven't told anyone)

I am the one that has to do the planning & I just don't feel like doing it. My plans never seem to work out once we are there. I try to go with the flow, but when plan after plan fails it is discouraging.

Also, I don't feel like driving the long drive to Disney (about 8hrs). Lately I have developed an anxiety with traffic. I've seen many accidents and an 18 wheeler almost came over on us. The traffic on 75 terrifies me. Seriously considering flying, which would not save us that much time and cost a lot for all 5 of us.

I just don't feel like the hassle. DH would do it, but he would be asking me tons of questions, so I just as well do it myself. I know once I'm there, I'll have fun, but right now, I'm not feeling it. (I lost that loving feeling LOL)

Anyone else have these issues?

Can't solve the rest, but are you anywhere near the auto train? Leaves a little south of D.C. We wouldn't get to Florida any other way.

If you feel like your plans fail then don't make one. Maybe an adr here and there and/or just the priority FP. Then make the rest as you go.

Or if you really aren't feeling it go back to the beach (and if you watch Back to the Beach while you are there you will have a little Disney with you).

We are just short of 7 hours, about 460 miles away. I prefer driving overnight. Far less traffic if the driver can handle staying awake while rest of the family sleeps. Only time I have to come off cruise control is to gas up. We usually pull into resort around 7am. I dislike driving in heavy traffic also. No anxiety or anything, just road rage issues.

Honestly I don't have any of those hassle feeling because we make very limited plans. And even most of those plans get tossed as soon as we get there.

The only things I need to know for certain are our dates of travel, where we are staying and flight times. That's it. The rest is vacation and I don't like to schedule or plan my vacations. Some days we choose the park we are going to based on which bus shows up next (blasphemy I know ;)).

We had free dining on one trip many moons ago when I was young and naive and thought it was a great deal for us. We were absolutely miserable that trip having be certain places at certain times. Never again.

I know this "plan" of attack isn't popular opinion on these boards but it's what works for us. Maybe try something different. Less planning a little more fly by the seat of your pants. You might find you like it. Come to the Dark Side we have cookies. And bacon.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a great time! :goodvibes

The last time we went was in June 2016. We had fun, but we had been the previous summer (which we had an awesome time) and the 2016 trip was just okay, with some "not fun" moments. (Very crowded, couldn't find anywhere to sit for meals, lots of rain and rides broke down and hot, but we are used to that)

So, we skipped this year and did a relaxing beach vacation close to home. We are going back to Disney in June 2018, everyone is excited except me (which I haven't told anyone)

I am the one that has to do the planning & I just don't feel like doing it. My plans never seem to work out once we are there. I try to go with the flow, but when plan after plan fails it is discouraging.

Also, I don't feel like driving the long drive to Disney (about 8hrs). Lately I have developed an anxiety with traffic. I've seen many accidents and an 18 wheeler almost came over on us. The traffic on 75 terrifies me. Seriously considering flying, which would not save us that much time and cost a lot for all 5 of us.

I just don't feel like the hassle. DH would do it, but he would be asking me tons of questions, so I just as well do it myself. I know once I'm there, I'll have fun, but right now, I'm not feeling it. (I lost that loving feeling LOL)

Anyone else have these issues?
I recommend vacationing somewhere else until you get a longing to come back. That, or fly to get there. Even if you don't want to fly the whole family in, you could just fly yourself and meet them there, due to your anxiety.

If everyone else is dying to go and you really don't want to let them down, maybe we can help with planning advice. What part of your plans didn't work last time?

As another question , if you want theme park happiness, what about Universal at am express pass hotel? Maybe with a discovery cove add on, which gives Sea world? All planning stress gone. Amd dining table s abundantly available. Not the Disney magic, but zero advance planning needed.

I recommend vacationing somewhere else until you get a longing to come back. That, or fly to get there. Even if you don't want to fly the whole family in, you could just fly yourself and meet them there, due to your anxiety.

If everyone else is dying to go and you really don't want to let them down, maybe we can help with planning advice. What part of your plans didn't work last time?
Last time, things that really were out of our control. I tried to not let it bother me, because we have been several times, so it's not like it was a once in a life time trip, but it starts to get frustrating when one thing after another go wrong. Like: rush to do early morning so we can ride TSM, and it's down. Rope drop to do Splash & BTM, and Splash is down, go get in line for HM (15 min wait turns to 45) Splash starts up, get back over there & wait almost an hour. Make a special trip back to HS for Fantasmic & it's down for technical problems. Lines at the CS are out the door and no tables to sit at. The server at 50's was kind of rude to me (not part of the act) and it kind of ruined that meal for me. That's all I can think of right now. It just felt like all my hard work & planning wasn't working out very well.

My husband wants to go the most & he wouldn't go without me and since we skipped this year, that's all he talks about, going back to WDW.

Can't solve the rest, but are you anywhere near the auto train? Leaves a little south of D.C. We wouldn't get to Florida any other way.
I wish that was an option, but no train near us

As another question , if you want theme park happiness, what about Universal at am express pass hotel? Maybe with a discovery cove add on, which gives Sea world? All planning stress gone. Amd dining table s abundantly available. Not the Disney magic, but zero advance planning needed.

We went there a few years ago, and loved it, very relaxing. But, DH wants Disney.

My recommendation would be to take it easy on the planning. Make a loose schedule of which park you'll hit each day just so you can make your three fast passes for the rides that you want the most. Then just watch the lines app while you are there and go where you have the least amount of waiting for the rest of the day. If you typically do park hoppers, it may be better just to go to one park a day so there's not as much running around. Do one or two dining reservations if there are any restaurants that you really want and then just check the app once in a while to see if there's anything else interesting open for a particular day. You can also plan on eating at off times at quick service locations and then the lines won't be so bad and you should be able to find a table. They also have mobile ordering for quick service now so that will save a ton of time waiting in line. And make sure that you go back to the hotel once in a while for a swim or nap. Because you've been there before and probably will go again there is no reason for you to have to be a park commando. If your family wants to run around like crazy and you need a break, head back to the hotel to get refreshed and then meet them later in the parks. I write this assuming that your kids are older, but if they are young, a swim or a nap is good for them too. I read these boards and see all of the amazing planning that people do, but sometimes I wonder if they're actually setting themselves up for too much disappointment. Inevitably, something will not go according to plan. My traveling partners and I tend to do the minimal amount of planning, go with the flow during the day, and if something is not going well, we just change course, take a break, have a drink, and relax. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

What we do is plan, but then hold them lightly. I have given up on getting my family to rope drop anything. I have fun booking the FPs and dining, and then probably half of it changes. Other than the really hard to get FPs, there is a lot of availability that constantly shows up. The big thing we have found is if it goes down, get out of line and move on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter