Noticed something strange on CoP

I have noticed his ascot being different from time to time in the scene where he wears one. Sometimes it looks all fluffed up and odd.

Fun fact, that the voice of of Dad or John as someone pointed above, is Jean Shepherd, the author behind the the story the movie was based on. (I think he was the narrator of the film as well. I know he was the guy in the Santa scene who told Robbie to go to the back of the line.) If you are a fan of the movie, you will enjoy the reference to Schwartz in the July scene.

When I wrote that I wasn't even thinking about the connection of Jean Shepherd between the two.

As for being a fan I:
  • Saw it in the theater in 82
  • Had my in-laws tape it off HBO when it played on that service
  • Bought the VHS
  • Bought the DVD
  • Bought the Blue Ray
  • Have visited the house in Cleveland where the exteriors were shot
  • and wore a leg lamp tie to my companies Xmas party just yesterday
But not sure what you talking about in the July scene.

OP, thanks for posting after all these years. We need more crazy/ interesting threads like these!!! That’s hilarious.

Normally I’m snoozing by that point in the ride. No offense to the ride. I love it. But it is my secret recovery/snoozing place.

Dan

When I wrote that I wasn't even thinking about the connection of Jean Shepherd between the two.

As for being a fan I:
  • Saw it in the theater in 82
  • Had my in-laws tape it off HBO when it played on that service
  • Bought the VHS
  • Bought the DVD
  • Bought the Blue Ray
  • Have visited the house in Cleveland where the exteriors were shot
  • and wore a leg lamp tie to my companies Xmas party just yesterday
But not sure what you talking about in the July scene.

It might not be the July scene, but it's DEFINITELY the scene with the electricity, I think set in the 1920s or there abouts. He refers to his neighbor, Schwartz when he blows a circuit. If I recall correctly, it's to blame him for blowing the circuit.

Schwartz, of course, being the friend he blames as to where he heard the curse words. "What'd I do, Ma? What'd I do?"

OP, thanks for posting after all these years. We need more crazy/ interesting threads like these!!! That’s hilarious.

Normally I’m snoozing by that point in the ride. No offense to the ride. I love it. But it is my secret recovery/snoozing place.

Dan

I would have ‘liked’ your post for the first part, but I can’t because of the second part! Blasphemy! :rotfl:

I don't remember which scene it happens, but I know that Sarah calls him John at least once, if not more.

I don't remember which scene it happens, but I know that Sarah calls him John at least once, if not more.

I have the complete script of the current CoP show.
Here are the characters-
Father: John
Mother: Sarah
Son: Jimmy
Daughter: Patricia
Grandma
Grandpa
Cousin Orville
Dog: Rover

In the second vignette (July 4th 1920-something)
FATHER: "There goes Schwartz in his Hupmobile. He sure loves that horn!
You know, in my new Essex, I've got an electric starter! Now I don't have to crank."

Also, another character's voice is heard (but not seen) after the blackout due to a blown fuse.
WOMAN OUTSIDE OF WINDOW: Henry! He did it again! Go over and give that neighbor of ours what for!

Also, at the end of this vignette, John calls his wife "Martha"
(because she is dressing as Martha Washington for the July 4th town celebration.)

In the third vignette (Fall 1940-something)
Another character's voice is heard (but not seen)
"Babs" is the voice on the phone with daughter Patricia.
The high school gals are discussing two guys, Wilfred and Howard.

In the last vignette we get a reprise of Cousin Orville's "No privacy a'tall around this place!"
(And, the oven talks, of course.)

Last edited:

Dan

I absolutely LOVE Carousel of Progress, but I've lost count of how many times I have missed half of it because I fell asleep lol.

Next time I ride, I will have to take photos of every scene to scour the details. Thanks for this OP.

That is interesting. The big question is how long will that can of hairspray remain in the scene?

Ok time to steer this thread in a new direction. Isn't Paul Mitchell a premium hair care product. Maybe if they used Aquanet a day at the MK would be $100. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter