Now they're going after Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understood exactly what the OP was saying by the title. Merry Christmas Sunshinehighway

Oddly, most of the people I have heard who complain about Halloween parties say it's because of its Satanic nature.

Oh, and then there are people who don't celebrate any holiday.

Or you could take it as the majority has embraced the fact that there are also the minority and there is nothing wrong with doing something for all of us, not just some of us.
I'll never understand why that is such a problem for people. Please tell me just what is so bad about doing something for everyone instead of just some? And remember we are talking about kids, so really what kind of person has a problem with that?
No I still take the thread to be about the majority needing to give in to a small vocal mintority that is out to change accepted norms. Of course if the norms are harmful it could be a good thing, usually the norms are fine. I also have no problem with children learning the lesson that the world does not revolve around them, if their ideas are different then the norms or majority, oh well. I don't think a Roman Catholic would have much success going to the KSA and try to change how school holidays function there.

No I still take the thread to be about the majority needing to give in to a small vocal mintority that is out to change accepted norms. Of course if the norms are harmful it could be a good thing, usually the norms are fine. I also have no problem with children learning the lesson that the world does not revolve around them, if their ideas are different then the norms or majority, oh well. I don't think a Roman Catholic would have much success going to the KSA and try to change how school holidays function there.
Do you have any more information than the articles in the OP? From what I read, the TEACHERS decided the party wasn't fun since not everyone could participate. It wasn't a parent or a child.

So you don't know that anyone is really all that upset by it. You don't know the decision was made to appease some minority of people who were upset by it either. You just want to assume that's the case because it's what you think is true.
Why do that? Why take two random stories about two schools and create a whole narrative about how the majority is upset and it was done to appease a minority when you don't know if any of that is true?

Welcome to the dis.

As if those complaining about Halloween parties being called something else aren't themselves also a vocal minority. Sheesh. It's only Halloween. Most of us don't really care either way. Truth be told, when I was a kid, I just liked getting the candy. Truth be told as a parent, after I grew up, I wonder why we even counted that as a school day when we didn't even do anything but have a party and field games and a school carnival.

Do you have any more information than the articles in the OP? From what I read, the TEACHERS decided the party wasn't fun since not everyone could participate. It wasn't a parent or a child.
No not about this. Just general knowledge that most people see what's happening around them. My guess would be it's mostly too much extra bother for the teachers.

So you don't know that anyone is really all that upset by it. You don't know the decision was made to appease some minority of people who were upset by it either. You just want to assume that's the case because it's what you think is true.
Why do that? Why take two random stories about two schools and create a whole narrative about how the majority is upset and it was done to appease a minority when you don't know if any of that is true?
I don't know the poster you quote, my guess is he doesn't live with his head in the sand.

Too long of a post to read it all but I find it totally stupid. I bet a million bucks the ones complaining sure enjoyed it when they were young. Society is getting ridiculous. What's next to pick on?

The only people complaining are posters here that have nothing to do with the school and are just jumping to conclusions based on what they think is going on.

LOL yep, they milk it for all its worth...

With all due respect, saying Salem, MA has no connection to Halloween is patently absurd, and is like saying Plymouth, MA has no connection to Thanksgiving. Over a quarter million people visit Salem in the fall, specifically to soak up all the "Haunted Happenings" events (parade example below). Those include costume balls, ghost tours, scores of haunted houses, live music, and a bunch chilling theatrical presentations.

Or put another way, Salem in Sept-Oct. is absolutely the last place any humorless, spoilsport Halloween hater would ever want to be.

greenwhich-village-us-halloween-celebrations-590-590x393.jpg

I wouldn't say that, I hate Halloween but if there are drinks and parties, haunted tours and ghost stories I'm all in.

As a Salem resident you who hate Halloween are kindly uninvited to attend the month of October - all the rest meet you at the Main Spot for a pint, ghost tour & costume contest!!!! I'll be dressed in as Neegan & carrying Lucille.

I understood exactly what the OP was saying by the title. Merry Christmas Sunshinehighway

There's a lovely bit of irony in this post, since in this case it tends to be the militant Merry Christmas-ers who are "going after" Halloween. An inclusive holiday greeting in December is a declaration of war on tradition, but tradition is meaningless when it comes to the devils and witches in October...

There's a lovely bit of irony in this post, since in this case it tends to be the militant Merry Christmas-ers who are "going after" Halloween. An inclusive holiday greeting in December is a declaration of war on tradition, but tradition is meaningless when it comes to the devils and witches in October...

You know I didn't get this at first - very astute! I mean that not sarcasm, wish I had picked up on that.

As a Salem resident you who hate Halloween are kindly uninvited to attend the month of October - all the rest meet you at the Main Spot for a pint, ghost tour & costume contest!!!! I'll be dressed in as Neegan & carrying Lucille.

Pics or it didn't happen, or I just love Neegan (sidenote: I just love Neegan.)

I can post the Salem pics but the Neegan will be on 28the at the ball at Hawthorne Hotel - which is 3 blocks from our home:hmghost::maleficen

A few years ago my husband and I stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel in late September for a wedding in the area, the hotel was great, and Salem was one of the most fun/interesting places that I have visited, I would love to go back! I bought a beautiful hand made witch's hat that I put out as an art piece every Halloween season, and wear to give out candy. Amazing place to visit and I didn't even make it there in October.

A few years ago my husband and I stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel in late September for a wedding in the area, the hotel was great, and Salem was one of the most fun/interesting places that I have visited, I would love to go back! I bought a beautiful hand made witch's hat that I put out as an art piece every Halloween season, and wear to give out candy. Amazing place to visit and I didn't even make it there in October.

Comeback anytime. Maybe a DIS meet in Salem next October would be cool. I fell in love with this city when I fell in love with DH. He grew up in the area. We fell in love with Washington Sq area - never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!