Now they're going after Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take that what the thread is mostly about is the majority having to give in to just a few.

Or you could take it as the majority has embraced the fact that there are also the minority and there is nothing wrong with doing something for all of us, not just some of us.
I'll never understand why that is such a problem for people. Please tell me just what is so bad about doing something for everyone instead of just some? And remember we are talking about kids, so really what kind of person has a problem with that?

Or you could take it as the majority has embraced the fact that there are also the minority and there is nothing wrong with doing something for all of us, not just some of us.
I'll never understand why that is such a problem for people. Please tell me just what is so bad about doing something for everyone instead of just some? And remember we are talking about kids, so really what kind of person has a problem with that?

Many kids enjoy dressing up and passing out candies at school on Halloween. How is eliminating that "doing something for all of us?" It sounds like doing nothing for all of us, not something.

Many kids enjoy dressing up and passing out candies at school on Halloween. How is eliminating that "doing something for all of us?" It sounds like doing nothing for all of us, not something.

So, you didn't read the articles then.
Many does not equal all, but thanks for showing us you are the kind of person who does have a problem with doing something that includes all kids.

So, you didn't read the articles then.
Many does not equal all, but thanks for showing us you are the kind of person who does have a problem with something that includes all kids.

"Traditionally, Halloween at Mitchell has been celebrated with class parties and a parade of kids in costumes. But some families who don’t celebrate kept their kids home. This year, teachers told the principal it felt awkward planning something not everyone would enjoy." That's from the Needham article.

How does that include all? It's just nothing. The school scrapped the classroom parties.

So please explain what you mean when you keep posting "something that includes all kids."

"Traditionally, Halloween at Mitchell has been celebrated with class parties and a parade of kids in costumes. But some families who don’t celebrate kept their kids home. This year, teachers told the principal it felt awkward planning something not everyone would enjoy." That's from the Needham article.

How does that include all? It's just nothing. The school scrapped the classroom parties.

So please explain what you mean when you keep posting "something that includes all kids."

I'm not really sure that will make much of a difference, you read the articles and still didn't get it.

I'm not really sure that will make much of a difference, you read the articles and still didn't get it.

Again, I'll quote from the Needham article. "Traditionally, Halloween at Mitchell has been celebrated with class parties and a parade of kids in costumes. But some families who don’t celebrate kept their kids home. This year, teachers told the principal it felt awkward planning something not everyone would enjoy." They scrapped all Halloween festivities meaning "nothing for everyone." That doesn't mean "something that includes all kids" as you keep putting it.

They're have a different celebration a week later that includes all.

In its place, the first annual William Mitchell Day will celebrate the school community and autumn on November 9

I do have to say I can't believe this is a news story. One elementary school canceling Halloween parties. Seriously?

My sister stopped teaching 16 or 17 years ago but when she was teaching, she usually had 1-5 children in her class each year that's were of a certain faith. They celebrated nothing but Easter. And could have nothing to do with anything that had even a hint of magic. She always said she never realized how many children's books had magic in them until she had the task of finding one without it.

Anyway, these parents always told her that they knew there would be a lot of things the rest of the class would do that they could not but it was ok. They never expected her to change everything for the class. So the kids of this faith had a set of books that they knew they could choose from. They just stayed home on party days. (The school just made it a preplanned absence that didn't count against them). If the class was doing a project that was Halloween or Christmas, they just did a different one but that used the same skills. There was never a word peeped from either group of kids. If anything some of the others would be asking about the project the children of this faith did and wanting to do it too. If the room was decorated for a holiday, the parents took the task of explaining to their children what it was and why they did not participate. And no one complained.

I don't think the schools in the OP have done a thing wrong. Halloween is a pain in the neck at school with costumes and such so there are many reasons why a teacher would certainly support these decisions. But I do think times have changed. And sometimes the majority does give up for the minority. But as my example shows, it worked in the pst without this being necessary.

Yup. Unfortunately there are some people who won't be satisfied until we all live robotic lives with minimal human interaction so as not to risk offending anyone.
Yup. It's the end of the world as we know it. First they did away with Christmas parties, then they put in dress codes, now they want to take away Halloween. Everyone needs to look and act the same.

Going back to "majority rules", I wasn't going to bring up the majority being wrong in history, but thanks for playing. It's not hard to imagine "the majority" saying "let's start the school day off with a prayer. It can be non-denominational". I'm sure there are other things "the majority" could decide that really wouldn't be the best.

Shouldn't school leaders LISTEN to what the teachers say? You keep quoting the article and it was the TEACHERS (note: not a parent) who said "this isn't fun". Should the teachers be forced to have a party?

Oh, wait, I forgot, kids and parents are going to be emotionally scarred if you eliminate a Halloween party. So, yup, better reinstate it.

It's just a made up nonsense day that isn't related to Halloween in the least. They scrapped Halloween and replaced it with a fantasy celebration.

Maybe, but it is one for ALL the kids to celebrate. Why do you have such a problem with that?

Maybe, but it is one for ALL the kids to celebrate. Why do you have such a problem with that?

ALL the kids would celebrate Halloween if it were up to them. But unfortunately there are enough crazy parents out there who brainwash their kids into thinking it's a satanic celebration or that nonsense. Why would I want to celebrate an "autumn" day on November 9th? What is that garbage?

It's just a made up nonsense day that isn't related to Halloween in the least. They scrapped Halloween and replaced it with a fantasy celebration.
So what? Of course it's not related to Halloween. That's the whole point, they want to include all. They felt that Halloween celebrations didn't do that.

I have 3 kids that went to the same elementary school. We got a new principal when my youngest was in 4th grade. There were certain things that were done every year that she changed. There were trips or parties that my daughter looked forward to because she knew her siblings did it. When the new principal changed the traditions we said "oh well".

This is such a non issue. They're not canceling Halloween. Kids can celebrate all the want after school.

You keep quoting the article and it was the TEACHERS (note: not a parent) who said "this isn't fun". Should the teachers be forced to have a party?

I'm very skeptical about that claim. I believe they're saying "this isn't fun" because not all kids were involved or something. But I bet the great majority of kids thought it was fun. Do you doubt that?

Oh, wait, I forgot, kids and parents are going to be emotionally scarred if you eliminate a Halloween party. So, yup, better reinstate it.

Well I could also argue kids and parents are going to be emotionally scarred if you keep the Halloween parties.

So what? Of course it's not related to Halloween. That's the whole point, they want to include all. They felt that Halloween celebrations didn't do that.

An "Autumn" celebration is one of the stupidest things I've heard of. What is the point of that? Do they all sit in circles and talk about how pretty the fall colors are or perhaps they pass around a pitcher of apple cider? Absolute nonsense.

ALL the kids would celebrate Halloween if it were up to them. But unfortunately there are enough crazy parents out there who brainwash their kids into thinking it's a satanic celebration or that nonsense. Why would I want to celebrate an "autumn" day on November 9th? What is that garbage?

LOL, OK so it's about what you want for your kids all the while you have a problem with what other people want for their kids.

An "Autumn" celebration is one of the stupidest things I've heard of. What is the point of that? Do they all sit in circles and talk about how pretty the fall colors are or perhaps they pass around a pitcher of apple cider? Absolute nonsense.

You do realize schools have been having autumn and fall celebrations in place of Halloween for decades right?

I don't usually bring up the if you don't have kids you shouldn't comment statement, but in this case it fits. If you don't have kids in school that have participated in these types of celebrations then you shouldn't comment. You have no idea what you are talking about here.

I'm very skeptical about that claim. I believe they're saying "this isn't fun" because not all kids were involved or something. But I bet the great majority of kids thought it was fun. Do you doubt that?
I'm sure the majority of kids thought it was fun. But I don't think the majority should rule in every instance. I do believe the claim the teachers wanted to do something that ALL kids can enjoy.

Well I could also argue kids and parents are going to be emotionally scarred if you keep the Halloween parties.
Except no one has made that claim. The "crazy" parents (it's really nice that because someone believes something different than you makes them crazy) weren't asking for the parties to stop (according to the article). They just didn't let their children participate. Sounds pretty low scale to me. The teachers decided they'd rather do something that includes all kids. For some reason you and the OP think the teachers should be forced to hold the party even if it means kids are staying at home/sitting in the hallway/going to another class/whatever.

LOL, OK so it's about what you want for your kids all the while you have a problem with what other people want for their kids.

You do realize schools have been having autumn and fall celebrations in place of Halloween for decades right?

I don't usually bring up the if you don't have kids you shouldn't comment statement, but in this case it fits. If you don't have kids in school that have participated in these types of celebrations then you shouldn't comment. You have no idea what you are talking about here.
Yep. My kids are now in middle school and high school and have always had Fall Harvest parties instead of Halloween parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!