Now they're going after Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't usually bring up the if you don't have kids you shouldn't comment statement, but in this case it fits. If you don't have kids in school that have participated in these types of celebrations then you shouldn't comment. You have no idea what you are talking about here.

Concession accepted

I'm sure the majority of kids thought it was fun. But I don't think the majority should rule in every instance. I do believe the claim the teachers wanted to do something that ALL kids can enjoy.

You're right that the majority shouldn't rule every instance but since we're talking about a friggin class party where candy gets passed out, yes, the majority here should decide.

These are still nonstories. One of the linked articles is from September. I haven't heard anything about either of them on local news, people aren't talking about it on social media. It's not at all the big deal some here are making it out to be.

These are still nonstories. One of the linked articles is from September. I haven't heard anything about either of them on local news, people aren't talking about it on social media. It's not at all the big deal some here are making it out to be.

Has anyone said it's that big of a deal? I think we're all just debating the merits of the school's decision.

Historically, attempts to ban or limit the celebration of Halloween have pretty much been minor, isolated ones where a house of worship made some noise about it. Or a neighborhood association put formal limitations on the hours allowed for trick or treating.

But now municipalities in MA are getting on that bandwagon, as two school principals there decide Halloween has to go, because is not "inclusive" and can be "difficult" for some students. In one it will be replaced by "Black and Orange Spirit Day" and the other by some vaguely defined "community day event" in November.

Thankfully, the municipalities involved in banning Halloween do not include Salem. The local chamber of commerce there would have a collective heart attack if anyone even hinted at the idea of "cancelling" that holiday

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/10/17/walpole-elementary-school-cancels-halloween-parade/

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/29/needham-elementary-school-cancels-halloween-festivities/

They turned ours into "Fall Parties" when my dd's were in middle and elementary school. They are 26 and 21 now.

My sons go to a secular private school. The school has an evening carnival that is a Halloween carnival in all but name. There's a haunted house, a mad scientist, elaborate Halloween decorations, a pumpkin carving contest and adults and kids in costume. The kids can also wear their costumes sans weapons and masks on Halloween to school. Many of the teachers dress up too. Some of the kids do Halloween crafts in class. In kindergarten each parent signs up to be the mystery reader on a Friday. When I did it I chose October and dressed up as a witch. I read fall and Halloween books and brought pumpkin muffins and apple juice boxes for class snack. The kids and teachers loved it.

The school doesn't celebrate Christmas and Easter though because those are religious holidays and we have a religiously diverse school. The classes have winter parties and the kindergarten has an egg hunt. Their 8th grade buddies hide the eggs. Parents can come up to the school to talk to the kids about their religious and cultural holidays though as an educational exercise. I was planning to get a few other families together to give a talk about Diwali this year until I hurt my knee.

I have no problem with celebrating Halloween and Thanksgiving at school because I view them as part of the American cultural tradition. I think religious holidays such as Christmas, Easter and Chanukah have no place in public schools because they are still tied to their religions.

My elementary school had a huge Halloween carnival but no costumes during the school day.

I have no problem with celebrating Halloween and Thanksgiving at school because I view them as part of the American cultural tradition.
Just for the record, I don't care if they have a Halloween party or costume parade. I just think it's ridiculous to be so up in arms about it.

Just for the record, I don't care if they have a Halloween party or costume parade. I just think it's ridiculous to be so up in arms about it.

Then you must think it equally ridiculous for the teachers to have made a big deal about the parties in the first place.

Then you must think it equally ridiculous for the teachers to have made a big deal about the parties in the first place.
No. Because the teachers are IN THE CLASSROOM. They know what's happening. A teacher in another school is no different than a parent or someone on an anonymous message board. If you don't trust the teachers to do the right thing for all kids, then I suggest taking your kids out of that school.

Oh, and how do you know the teachers "made a big deal"? I can easily see the following conversation during a staff meeting:

Principal: "OK, when do we want to do our Halloween Party?"
Teacher1: "You know, getting the kids in costume is such a pain."
Teacher2: "Yea, and Joe and Sally's parents won't let them participate so they have to sit in the hall."
Teacher3: "I have a couple in my class that are the same."
Teacher4: "How about we do a "Orange and Black" (or Fall Festival or whatever) day instead of a Halloween Party?"
Other teachers: "OK, makes sense".
Principal: "I'm sold. Next item?"

lol, gotcha, so it's only ridiculous for one side to be upset, but not the other, even when the upset side is the majority side. Hilarious Sam.
So you take the first three characters of my response and ignore the rest, and the subsequent post (which explains my reasoning). Gotcha. "Hilarious". :sad2:

lol, gotcha, so it's only ridiculous for one side to be upset, but not the other, even when the upset side is the majority side. Hilarious Sam.

What makes you think a majority is upset by it?

Why are you assuming the decisions were made because people were upset. The articles don't say that.

THE. TEACHERS. DIDN'T. WANT. THE. PARTY.

I'm sure all the parents and anonymous message board posters know better than the teachers on what works in their classroom.

I would have to poll the students to find out. My guess is they are.

So you don't know that anyone is really all that upset by it. You don't know the decision was made to appease some minority of people who were upset by it either. You just want to assume that's the case because it's what you think is true.
Why do that? Why take two random stories about two schools and create a whole narrative about how the majority is upset and it was done to appease a minority when you don't know if any of that is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!