Now we aren't doing the dining plan and I don't know how to plan, help!

I drink quite a bit on vacation. But strangely enough I don’t always want a drink with my TS meal. But if I did it’s still not enough to make the math work. Most drinks are from QS places and stands and wouldn’t be covered by the dining plan. I also keep a good stash in my room 😎

I do order the most wine/cocktails/sake/champagne/etc. while wandering around the parks. At dinner I just get a glass of wine. Also wine in hotel room!

Did find a bonus to all of this - was thinking of where to eat on one of the MK days - now we can take the boat to Wilderness Lodge and eat the Geyser Point Bar and Grill, the lounge/pub part (appetizers and drinks) We've been wanting to try it out. :)

Last edited:
I do order the most wine/cocktails/sake/champagne/etc. while wandering around the parks. At dinner I just get a glass of wine. Also wine in hotel room!

Did find a bonus to all of this - was thinking of where to eat on one of the MK days - now we can take the boat to Wilderness Lodge and eat the Geyser Point Bar and Grill, the lounge/pub part (appetizers and drinks) We've been wanting to try it out. :)

That sounds great. Haven't tried Geyser Point.

We have done a similar thing at Nomad Lounge. A few small plates and a couple of drinks make a nice dinner.

From reading your earlier posts on this thread, it sounds like there's another bonus to paying OOP. You've stated a couple of times, you'd order appetizers rather than dessert, which makes it appear using DDP is forcing you to eat differently than you'd prefer. Just a though. :)

For a few years I saved every receipt, checked the hotel folio/CC statement etc to see why people are so loving the dining plan. I found that we never ever even came close to the cost of the dining plan-and believe me hubs is not one to deprive himself on vacation-and the kids got snacks whenever they wanted. I'd buy a couple mugs from the resort and they did come in handy but for 5 of us it would have been another waste. And we drink alcohol as well. I put the receipts into spread sheets-even including groceries for room and ALL the drinks (alcohol or not) and the price of 2 mugs we still saved money-usually about $200 on average.
This past weekend was sooooo hot that I didn't feel like eating all day, and in fact had to force myself to eat at night when we got back to resort. And disney portions are huge at some places-my DD and I split an app and entree at Kona, we each had a drink and a dessert. The plan isn't made for that kind of style of eating. We split a Mickey waffle platter one morning at quick service (no way can I eat 4 waffles and bacon and have room to enjoy my Joffrey's).

Nomad is one of my favorite places to eat and hang out! Also Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar in DS!

Question about Disney gift cards?

I never use them. Can I buy one and just keep adding money to it? So say I purchase one using $500 from my checking, but I want to add $100 from another account, $50 from a different credit card, etc. - is that possible? Or do I need to buy a separate one each time - that would be a pain.

@Farro, I thought of another bonus. Foregoing DDP on your next trip will give you the perfect opportunity to try what we think are the best restaurants at WDW. This would be the perfect time to try the Swan/Dolphin restaurants &/or lounges in case you decide to go back to the DDP for subsequent trips.

@Farro, I thought of another bonus. Foregoing DDP on your next trip will give you the perfect opportunity to try what we think are the best restaurants at WDW. This would be the perfect time to try the Swan/Dolphin restaurants &/or lounges in case you decide to go back to the DDP for subsequent trips.

Good idea, thanks! :)

I never use them. Can I buy one and just keep adding money to it? So say I purchase one using $500 from my checking, but I want to add $100 from another account, $50 from a different credit card, etc. - is that possible? Or do I need to buy a separate one each time - that would be a pain.

You can combine Disney gift cards on the Disney gift card website. You can put up to $1,000 on each card. You could just buy the different gift cards with whatever source you want to use and later transfer from one card to another. It’s really easy.

yes as Travel already stated-however you can only have up to 5 cards on the account at one time. Easy enough to delete cards as you combine them. I get discount cards from Sam's club or Disney movie rewards (those $5 cards add up to a some nice treats). I like to combine as many cards as I can, but keep an empty one on the account (and the empty physical one in safe place) in case the "loaded" ones are lost or stolen-easy to quickly transfer the balance to safety card.

I was going to suggest Geyser Point! The setting is so lovely. I haven’t eaten there but people seem to love it. I just love the setting!

At Disney Springs, I think Jock Lindsay’s could be a good fit to get drinks and shareable bites.

Honestly, I really think you’ll like the flexibility of not doing the DDP. I know it is a change from what you’re used to, but not having to work around so many ADRs may be refreshing!

We are trying the DDP for the first time on our next trip and while I’m excited for all the TS meals, I don’t like having too many things scheduled. An ADR every day is a lot for us just in terms of scheduling and working around it. Typically we do an ADR every other day.

It will be hard to narrow down your initial list of TS meals, but there are so many great QS and lounge options around, I don’t think you will go wrong.

Yeah, that's my thought process.

I do think I we will eat less table service.
I guess it works that if we have days where we just dont feel that hungry, not having plan will be better

Micky keeps telling me I dont eat as much as I think I do. :D

I think you are looking at this through the DDP lens. If your goal is to save money on your food budget, you have to change how and where you plan to eat. There is no getting around it. My family usually buys the plan because our vacation dining habits mirror how the plan is set up so we at least always break even. If you plan meals as if you are on the plan, perhaps the only places you will save is on snacks and desserts.

The first thing I would do is set your food budget. How much do you want to pare off your vacation cost to address the vet bills, and what is left after paying for tickets and lodging?

Now that you know what you want to work with, look at CS meals. I think that I would avoid TS as much as possible because no matter what your bill is, you add a gratuity, and that increases your food costs. I would also look at the lounges in the parks and in the resorts. If you do book a TS meal, would you be happy with appetizers and a cocktail? If not, do not book them, you will add food on and your budget will soar off the charts. I cannot count in an appetizer only meal with my family. WE say we want appetizers but when we get to a restaurant we end up having dinner and appetizers. No savings for us there. WE are pathetic. LOL!

I think in order to accomplish this savings you have to really change your mindset and make this a quest. How to eat and drink wel, and stay within your dining budget. My DD and DSIL did this with snacks. They "studied" DDP snacks in advance of our trip like it was their job! They wanted to see the ones that "got away" in previous trips, especially the delicious pricy ones we never knew existed. What fun when we started touring the parks!

ONe other consideration is to purchase the QS plan. I never buy it so I do not knwo if yu woudl realize a savings, however you woudl have your outline to follow, have snacks built in and alcohol included.

I have a Starbucks visa debit card. It worked really well on my last vacation. I can load money from my checking and it is available almost immediately to use. The bonus is that I get Stars to use towards beverages, which is a treat for me. There is a limit per day, $2000 or something like that.

The nice thing is that it works anywhere, is attached to my checking debit card so I move money instantly, and it never interferes with my available finds in my checking account. I can control how much I have on it at any given time, and if I was to lose it, I can have it shut off. No need to worry about gift card numbers, etc.

I get GC for dining. Mostly do QS and snacking. Upcoming trip have two TS.

I budget $100 a day for QS and snacks
Then add in our TS and tips. Don’t drink alcohol or sodas. DD and I sometimes split meals.
The months leading up to our trip I purchase the GC to spread out the costs.
This has worked great for our last 5 trips. Dining plan is just too much food for us.

I create a spreadsheet (nerd alert!), which I also do when I have the DDP. I plot in our must-do table services (usually one per day) and estimate the cost of each based on what we think we might order, including tax and tip. The cost of buffets are in a sticky at the top of this forum. There are 3 of us, so I estimate $30 for QS breakfast each morning (because we like our hot breakfasts) and $50 for each QS. We will have the refillable mugs, but will opt for water at most meals. Add in an extra $50 a day for snacks/drinks which can also be used as a kind of buffer for price differences.

Take that number, round up, and buy some gift cards loaded with that amount. Tip: You can buy e-gift cards and load the money onto a physical card using the disneygiftcard.com site.

The best part is whatever you don't use you'll have on a gift card for future visits. No need to make a mad rush to use up points.

My suggestion is to budget the same amount of money you would pay for the dining plan. Even if you do not change your eating and drinking plans, you most likely will spend less or break even.

After each trip I total up our expenses for all food, beverages and tips, and the total always is less than the cost of the dining plan. We do not deprive ourselves and order exactly what we want when we want. We have a table service dinner almost every day, usually at a signature restaurant. We eat counter-service breakfast and lunch almost every day. We rarely split meals or snacks.

It seems counterintuitive to many people, but paying out of pocket always is cheaper for us.

I think Nancyg56 said it best. If you forego the ddp to save $$$ you cannot plan on eating the same way with TS and alcoholic drinks which are extremely expensive plus the added tip on those prices. You will probably save very little, if any, and be very stressed about it anyways. What is your end goal in terms of savings by not doing the regular ddp? The QS plan is $21/pp/pday less expensive and includes an alcoholic drink with each meal plus snacks. It is a good deal if you utilise it properly and order more expensive meals/drinks/snacks. You would be giving up the TS experience but it will be stress free. We have enjoyed some wonderful qs meals. Or, take the allocated amount of cash for food and work with that planning out where to eat each day with TS and alcohol as far as your budget will allow. Either way adjustments will have to be made, there is no way around it. Have a wonderful vacation.

You could squirrel away the approx cost of the DDP for your party, use your MB and just charge everything to the room and pay upon checkout. That's what we did when we were OOP. You will likely end up slightly under that amount.

I think Nancyg56 said it best. If you forego the ddp to save $$$ you cannot plan on eating the same way with TS and alcoholic drinks which are extremely expensive plus the added tip on those prices. You will probably save very little, if any, and be very stressed about it anyways. What is your end goal in terms of savings by not doing the regular ddp? The QS plan is $21/pp/pday less expensive and includes an alcoholic drink with each meal plus snacks. It is a good deal if you utilise it properly and order more expensive meals/drinks/snacks. You would be giving up the TS experience but it will be stress free. We have enjoyed some wonderful qs meals. Or, take the allocated amount of cash for food and work with that planning out where to eat each day with TS and alcohol as far as your budget will allow. Either way adjustments will have to be made, there is no way around it. Have a wonderful vacation.

Yes, we won't eat table service every night. I will still be getting the same amount of alcoholic drinks that I normally do on vacation. :)

What I'm realizing will change is that we will eat the way we normally do at home. I'll eat smaller meals during day, my lunch will probably be a snack size instead of a full quick service as I don't eat that much normally. He will get a full quick service I'm sure. We always ate breakfast in the room (and a pastry at a park!)

And we will schedule 5 sit downs instead of 9. The other nights may be a bar, a quick service or who knows, popcorn? It will be a change to play it by ear and have no "real" dinner plans.
Dinners I'll be able to just eat an appetizer if I want and I don't normally get dessert, so no loss there.
I was (gently) reminded how last trip I did end up cancelling two dinners near the end because we just didn't want to eat anymore! (if you can't tell, I've been whining a bit at home :D)

It won't be so bad! :)

Last edited:
I have a Starbucks visa debit card. It worked really well on my last vacation. I can load money from my checking and it is available almost immediately to use. The bonus is that I get Stars to use towards beverages, which is a treat for me. There is a limit per day, $2000 or something like that.

The nice thing is that it works anywhere, is attached to my checking debit card so I move money instantly, and it never interferes with my available finds in my checking account. I can control how much I have on it at any given time, and if I was to lose it, I can have it shut off. No need to worry about gift card numbers, etc.

Interesting. Is it a credit card? Or a card you load the money yourself?

If you load money - can I load from a different credit card? We use Amex for dinners, but if I just want to make sure I stay under a certain amount, can I put that amount on to the Starbucks card?

I like this idea better than a Disney gift card because if we have money leftover, we can just use it normally at home.

Last edited:
We always come out ahead on the dining plan too--it all boils down to where you like to eat. But 9 days at WDW is a LOT (the most we've ever stayed is 5). An alternative would be to cut it back to a 7 day trip. The hotel savings on the last two nights should be a big boost to dining budget. When we go to Disney World and walk miles and miles all day, the last thing I would want to do is feel I didn't have enough food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter