NYE at Magic Kingdom-- Tell me everything you know!

DreDis317

Earning My Ears
We are headed to the World 12/26-1/2...we know it's the busiest time of the year to visit, but it's the only time that works for us! We are planning on spending NYE at MK and I'd love to hear your experiences with it! I'm going to book (fingers crossed) the dessert party for the fireworks. Do they do anything special for NYE at the park or anywhere else?

I have two trip reports in my signature for the past two NYE.

We have not done the MK specifically on actual NYE, but have done it on 12/30. There will be two fireworks opportunities on both nights (12/30 and 31). The MK will begin early capacity closures fairly early on NYE (before noon the past two years), so if you are not an onsite guest, plan to stick it out.

There will be a DJ up by the castle, and they should hand out party hats and horns. At Epcot they have several different DJs and dance areas set up around the World Showcase and behind Spaceship Earth, and special drink tables set up. There will be a few parties held at resorts and in Disney Springs (The Contemporary has two or three different ones, dinner events with a separate cost)

My main advice to anyone going on NYE is to not be on the roads trying to get to a park after noon on NYE. Stay somewhere on the monorail loop or with ferry access if you're going to the MK, or plan to be there early and stay put.

After our first NYE I said never again, and then ended up booking for the following year! Just be prepared to be flexible, and you'll have a good time.

Have fun planning, and good luck!!

Disney is my favorite place to enjoy the New Year. Planning on heading back this year. The Magic Kingdom treats both 12/30 and 12/31 as NYE, and so many people do MK on the 30th, and Epcot on the 31st. Both parks are magical and completely different than any other time in the year as they approach the new year, with special entertainment, usually 2 firework shows that evening, special pyrotechnic finales to welcome the new year, and DJs. Epcot tends to handle the crowds a bit better on the 31st as well.

The Magic Kingdom's fireworks are also presented in full 360 for the finale, and it's absolutely beautiful.

As the previous poster said, be flexible, prepare for insane crowds and wait times, ARRIVE EARLY TO THE MAGIC KINGDOM (it will close around 10-11am), traffic will be TERRIBLE, the parking lots are a free for all, but it's one of the most amazing experiences at the World. Take it laid back, and don't expect to rush anywhere, and it will be an incredible experience.

We did MK on NYE 2 years ago. It is manic and entire areas get roped off well before midnight. We entered relatively late in the day, maybe 7:00, and if I recall we were directed through a backstage area that opened into Tomorrowland. We were there primarily for the fireworks as we had reserved the Garden View Fireworks Dessert Party. The Hub was overrun with humanity by the time we arrived. We probably will not do it again without the dessert party reservations.

Last year we went to Epcot instead.

MK has not had a Phase 4 closure on NYE as far as I know so you will be allowed in if you are a resort guest or have an ADR. The closure notices are primarily for day guests without reservations staying off-site or who live locally. The MK fireworks are more impressive than the Epcot fireworks in my opinion. Word of caution, do not even consider driving to the park on the 31st.

Following as I am planning MK on Dec 30 and Epcot on Dec 31.

A little worried as I hope to do a lot of hopping (my teens will only be there for 2 park days). On Dec 30, we hope to take the gondola from Epcot to DHS around 7pm, then take the bus from DHS to MK at 10pm. Debating dropping the stop at DHS and just going straight to MK. The only thing is it will be our one chance to watch JBJB and see the projections on the Tower of Terror. We are focused on the Christmas/NYE activities and experiences for this trip :)

We are headed to the World 12/26-1/2...we know it's the busiest time of the year to visit, but it's the only time that works for us! We are planning on spending NYE at MK and I'd love to hear your experiences with it! I'm going to book (fingers crossed) the dessert party for the fireworks. Do they do anything special for NYE at the park or anywhere else?
It is very very crowded ( FP line for space was 30+ minutes) get to the park when it opens do your ride then. Watch the first parade do the dessert party ( the latter one is better. They have DJ all over the park ( there was 3 Tomorrow land. Castle and I think by the country bears. ) lots of fun but there is a lot of people

Following as I am planning MK on Dec 30 and Epcot on Dec 31.

A little worried as I hope to do a lot of hopping (my teens will only be there for 2 park days). On Dec 30, we hope to take the gondola from Epcot to DHS around 7pm, then take the bus from DHS to MK at 10pm. Debating dropping the stop at DHS and just going straight to MK. The only thing is it will be our one chance to watch JBJB and see the projections on the Tower of Terror. We are focused on the Christmas/NYE activities and experiences for this trip :)

Hopping on 12/30 is fine, in my opinion. Busy, but manageable. For 12/31, my opinion is you want to get somewhere and stick to it unless moving via monorail, skyline, or foot. All DIS hyperbole aside, you don’t want to be on the roads too much if you can help it (that includes Disney bus).

We've done NYE at Epcot three times in the past four years. Love it. The fireworks are amazing and they have lots of grassy areas near the Future World/World Showcase transition roped off for fireworks viewing. The first show of the night tends to be around 6:30 with the traditional Illuminations (or rather its upcoming replacement) and then the Holiday tag. The second show is also Illuminations/replacement, with the NYE countdown tag.

We did MK on the 30th once as well, stayed for both fireworks. The shows are different, usually the Holiday show early and Fantasy in the Sky for midnight. Both shows have the NYE countdown tag. Last year we watched the early fireworks from the Poly on the 30th.

Personally, I'd stay FAR away from MK on the 31st. Whenever we've driven to Epcot, the cars have been backed up to the Epcot Center Drive turn off. Plus, Epcot NYE is my favorite celebration in the parks.

If you do go to Epcot and you are driving, I recommend getting a dining reservation on the Boardwalk and valet parking. Yes, it's pricey, but you won't have to wait in traffic to get out.

Limit your driving time. I don't like to hop on the 30th or 31st. Any traffic that involves a roadway is horrible, IMO. You will waste a ton of time sitting in traffic (potentially hours), then going through security, etc.

We love this time of year and spend every Christmas in the World and quite a few NYE (and are looking forward to being there this year). The busiest time is always the closer you get to NYE. Crowds build the two weeks or so before until they hit a max on NYE (again, my opinion after doing this for awhile). I don't go into it thinking I'm going to ride every ride or see every show - especially once I get to the 31st. If I have the $$, I try to take advantage of things like dessert parties for fireworks shows - we like to do the MK one on the 30th. There are a lot of people on the 31st. A LOT of people. That slows things down. I mean the line to the Mexico ride goes out of the building on the 31st. So quick things, or things you normally do as time wasters take up a lot of time. You have to adjust accordingly.

I was at MK on NYE 2016. I planned sit down meals for lunch and dinner, this way I did not have to wait on crazy counter meal lines for food. Likewise, I arrived early and booked my first 3 FP for early in the day. Once I used those 3 I took anything I could find. Having been to Disney 10 times in the past 10 years which ride I got didn't matter to me. I simply didn't want to wait on line. I also did a dessert party to watch the fireworks, so I wasn't crowded in and didn't need to stand on Main Street for hours waiting for the fireworks.

All in all I rode 5 - 6 rides that day with little to no wait, had two sit down meals, attended a dessert party and watched the fireworks. Awesome day!!

The bus lines at 1am to get back to the hotels were crazy however. I didn't get back to my room until close to 3am. That was the one thing I could not control / plan ahead of time.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread and for everyone sharing their experiences. I, too, will be at WDW for NYE. I plan to go to MK on the 30th. Thanks for the heads up about being in MK by late morning and staying put until the end of the fireworks. It will be a long day but something I want to experience once for myself. I plan to make ADRs for the 30th to help.
Besides the central hub what other spots do recommend to watch the fireworks if I don't do a dessert party?

I will be at the Outback Bowl's parade in Ybor City on the 31st but will be traveling back by car to my resort that night. My daughter's high school band is participating in the parade and the halftime show of the football game. I plan to try to watch the fireworks when I return from the Poly or somewhere where I can see some of the EPCOT show outside of either park.

Thanks for the heads up about being in MK by late morning and staying put until the end of the fireworks. It will be a long day but something I want to experience once for myself. I plan to make ADRs for the 30th to help.

There is no reason to do this if you have an ADR. We have entered MK after 7:00 pm on NYE and never had a problem. MK has never had a phase 4 closure on NYE or on the 30th. You are fine to do it that way but it is definitely not necessary. We always hop from AK and or DHS because crowds are lighter there during the day, then head to MK and Epcot in the evening. And again, we have never had a problem getting in, even when capacity closure notices are posted via MDE.

It is so fun! I did it last year, but left around 5pm to go have dinner and we watched the fireworks from our room at the Contemporary. Where are you staying? If offsite the park will most likely have some capacity closure, but it really only effects offsite guests and one day park ticket holders. I don't think the closure got very far last year, but they will send out an alert and it does sound like the entire park is closed. I recommend checking on here to see what phase it actually is in.

Driving that day will be really crowded. If you are driving I recommend getting there early. Manage expectations on how crowded it is. Make three fast passes and hope to get more, but plan for the worst of the rest being gone. Normal lines will be really long, I've never seen such crazy high wait times before. The Christmas parade is fun to watch. People watching is fun, we found places to rest and just watch the madness around us go by.

I highly recommend getting ADRs for meals. Lunch and dinner. Quick Service lines will be out the door and finding a table will be even harder. I don't think the dessert parties get released at 180 days so keep an eye on them. I remember there being a watch group on here last year so there might be another one for this year.

It really was such a fun way to ring in the new year I will definitely be back in the future to do it again.

Don't have much to add other than we are there at the exact same dates! I will be up early for ADRs this weekend! We are staying at BC so do Epcot on the 31st. I like the option of being at my resort during the crazy rush after fireworks! Still contemplating doing MK on the 30th. Desert party maybe?

Is there a set date that these appear or do you just have to watch?

This will be my third time doing this - In general you'd think it'd be 6 months out like everything else - but not always (as it's a special event). I basically start stalking around that time. :)

There is no reason to do this if you have an ADR. We have entered MK after 7:00 pm on NYE and never had a problem. MK has never had a phase 4 closure on NYE or on the 30th. You are fine to do it that way but it is definitely not necessary. We always hop from AK and or DHS because crowds are lighter there during the day, then head to MK and Epcot in the evening. And again, we have never had a problem getting in, even when capacity closure notices are posted via MDE.

I am curious - did u ever have any problems with your bus being delayed by traffic? Some other folks were recommending not being on the roads, even in a bus on Dec 30/31.

I am curious - did u ever have any problems with your bus being delayed by traffic? Some other folks were recommending not being on the roads, even in a bus on Dec 30/31.

I have never been on Dec 30/31 but if it is similar to July 3/4, there is major traffic in the early evening around the parks, particularily MK. I know we were stuck in traffic on a bus on the 3rd and missed most of the fireworks because we timed in wrong. We had left the park and went back to our resort for a break but there were long lines to get on the bus and then the traffic was insane! It was a major disappointment for me and one I want to avoid when I go for New Years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter