Oahu luau advice, please!

kickash

Mouseketeer
I have read every thread on here about the different luaus in Oahu. I've been to every website and have read over menus, looked at pictures, and yet I still cannot decide. I want to book today so that the points go on my credit card statement for this month lol.

We are a family of 4 (2 A, 2 K ages 13 and 9.5) and I am leaning towards either Chief's Luau, Fia Fia, or Paradise Cove. We are staying at Aulani for 9 nights and the Hilton Hawaiian Village for 3. I planned to do the luau while we were at Aulani simply because of distance/driving/walking.

Chief's had good reviews on here for the entertainment factor, but I am kinda hung up on the location and setting (old waterslides in the pictures seems odd to me). Paradise Cove is next door to Aulani and I love the beach setting, but the reviews are a little mixed (herded like cattle was a phrase I recall from one review). Fia Fia has good reviews but there is absolutely nothing on the Marriott website about it so I have to call today.

Any suggestions on how to decide? Anyone have any recent reviews of either? Thanks in advance!

Well, I was in the pool at the Marriott one night when the Fia Fia Luau was happening so I watched what I could. They perform on an elevated stage on a large lawn that fronts the ocean within the resort grounds. The views depend on where you sit but the stage itself sits with a backdrop of the resort. If you are looking to the stage, the ocean/sunset is to your right. Google Fia Fia Marriott Ko Olina and you will see what I mean.

we have done Fia Fia twice, no regrets it is great. They offer three tiers, I would be inclined if I were to do it again at either the most expensive tier to get right up front, or the cheapest tier. We had done the mid tier and they sat us at the same table as the cheapest tier. In fact the people at our table that were closest to the stage were the cheapest tier. We ended up moving to the front tables after asking and sat at the far edge. They don't have that many tables so no views are that bad but the second tier isn't worth the money imo. At aulani there are tons of tables and they are much further from the stage than at fia fia. I didn't do the aulani luau but our room overlooked it so we could see the whole setup down there and could hear it and watch it somewhat from our balcony

You're gonna get the same basic entertainment and food from any of them.
Chief's is the most recommended and I believe actually award winning?
It was good in my opinion.

We did Paradise Cove last year and I wish we had just done the one at Aulani. The entertainment hasn't changed in at least 15 years (DH and I went to Paradise Cove once back then). The whole experience felt outdated and cliche, and honestly, kinda boring. It's crowded, food was fine, drinks are expensive, bathrooms are sketchy. It also felt catered to large tour groups or destination wedding parties, not as fun for individual families. Still, it's a "traditional" luau, and I feel like when I was researching they all got mixed reviews about one thing or another. Just don't splurge on the VIP if you choose Paradise Cove.

I was shocked at the price of the Luaus. My kids were totally for it until I had them watch 5 minutes of u-tube video's of different luaus we would potentially go to. After watching, they had NO interest. It would have been $500-$600 for our party of 4. It seems many hotels have free entertainment so we are gonna save the $ towards a helicopter or other excursion.

I was shocked at the price of the Luaus. My kids were totally for it until I had them watch 5 minutes of u-tube video's of different luaus we would potentially go to. After watching, they had NO interest. It would have been $500-$600 for our party of 4. It seems many hotels have free entertainment so we are gonna save the $ towards a helicopter or other excursion.

There are free authentic hula shows all over the islands including an ocean front one in Waikiki on a few different nights just across the street the Hyatt Regency

http://www.waikikiimprovement.com/waikiki-calendar-of-events/kuhio-beach-hula-show

I believe there is one at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping center in the Waikiki beach area as well and I think they encourage people to get up and learn as well

My favorite is the keiki (childrens) hula at the Ala Moana mall, I think they have it on Sundays. I am pretty sure they have free hula shows every day, just the kids are on SUndays only. It is so cute!

Keep in mind you are not going to see fire elements and you wont get food.

We went to Paradise Cove ages ago and weren’t that impressed with the food or the show. The location is great but that’s about it. I can not stress how amazing the one at Aulani is. We just did that in September and were blown away. Obviously, any luau is pricey and Disney’s is no exception but we totally felt it was worth it. Germaine’s Luau was the other I had considered just because of the location(beachfront). In the end, we decided the ease of not leaving Aulani was worth it.

I have read every thread on here about the different luaus in Oahu. I've been to every website and have read over menus, looked at pictures, and yet I still cannot decide. I want to book today so that the points go on my credit card statement for this month lol.

We are a family of 4 (2 A, 2 K ages 13 and 9.5) and I am leaning towards either Chief's Luau, Fia Fia, or Paradise Cove. We are staying at Aulani for 9 nights and the Hilton Hawaiian Village for 3. I planned to do the luau while we were at Aulani simply because of distance/driving/walking.

Chief's had good reviews on here for the entertainment factor, but I am kinda hung up on the location and setting (old waterslides in the pictures seems odd to me). Paradise Cove is next door to Aulani and I love the beach setting, but the reviews are a little mixed (herded like cattle was a phrase I recall from one review). Fia Fia has good reviews but there is absolutely nothing on the Marriott website about it so I have to call today.

Any suggestions on how to decide? Anyone have any recent reviews of either? Thanks in advance!

We are also coming in July for a high school graduation present and our 18 year old has requested the Aulani one-if she wasn't so interested in it, I would say never mind, but I think it will still be fun.

Chief’s Luau and FiaFia are essentially going to be the same show. Notice on the Chief’s Luau website how they’re closed on Tuesdays and Saturdays? Saturdays are their day off, and Tuesdays they’re performing their show at the Marriott. ;)

Chief’s Luau and FiaFia are essentially going to be the same show. Notice on the Chief’s Luau website how they’re closed on Tuesdays and Saturdays? Saturdays are their day off, and Tuesdays they’re performing their show at the Marriott. ;)
Yes I am aware of this but the pricing is different and the location is different. I’m leaning towards Fia Fia for the beach setting vs the old water park.

I'm in the same situation regarding luau's. DH isn't keen because we saw the one at the Polynesian Resort at WDW many years ago, DD was quite young then so doesn't remember too much about it and would like to see one on our upcoming trip, and I think "why go all the way to Hawaii and not go to a luau?"

I'm torn between Chief's, Paradise Cove & Aulani's own one as we won't have a car, but now knowing that Fia Fia is basically the same show as Chief's just in a different location had added that one to the pot too.

I’m leaning towards Fia Fia for the beach setting vs the old water park.

Just a small note - the Fia Fia luau isn't actually on the beach. It's in the large grounds just in between the two restaurants onsite on the Marriott.

Just a small note - the Fia Fia luau isn't actually on the beach. It's in the large grounds just in between the two restaurants onsite on the Marriott.
Thank you! I am aware. I've looked up pictures on different sites for all of them.

We are debating if we should watch the luau at Aulani or the Alii Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center, we are staying 4 nights at Aulani and 2 nights on the North Shore. We are OK with a 'dry' luau and will have our 3 year old daughter. Price is negligible unless doing the VIP. The pro's of Aulani is its right at the resort in case daughter gets bored or anxious and its Mickey themed, oh, and booze. If we do Aulani, we can still visit the PCC village. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The pro's of Aulani is its right at the resort in case daughter gets bored or anxious and its Mickey themed, oh, and booze. If we do Aulani, we can still visit the PCC village. Any suggestions? Thanks.

We went with Aulani’s luau in July & enjoyed it. We took so long to decide there weren’t any VIP seats left & we were quite far back so didn’t have the best view unfortunately. I wanted you to be aware though that Moana, Mickey & Minnie only make very brief appearances at the beginning of the luau - they don’t appear again later in the show.

Thanks, we plan to do the VIP luau at Aualani, and will visit the villages at the PCC, I believe it includes a fire show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!