Observations from DisneyLand trip - WDW planning has take away some of the joy

ckb_nc

DIS Veteran
MLK weekend so it was plenty busy at DLR; plus Rise opened Friday so it's not like the crowds were not there. But we were able to make dinner reservations in the park for Saturday night on Friday afternoon at DL, something that is virtually impossible at WDW. MaxPass was incredible easy to use, and for $15 a person really worth it. I don't think MaxPass would work at WDW frankly but I came away with a sense that the current WDW planning process (180 days for dining, 60 or 30 for FP+, and for us the DVC windows at 11 and 7 months) has taken some the true spontaneity and joy of touring away. I wish a WDW version of MaxPass would exist. I think it might make for more spontaneity.

I am not saying you can't score a great FP on the day of at WDW but its not easy, not is it really often an option. The irony is we spend less time in the parks now with FP+. DLR felt like a throw back to my childhood or WDW years ago. Lately WDW seems to be a chore, not a pleasure. I might be jaded but this weekend reminded how much fun Disney parks could truly be. Magical moments, full of pixie dust, tears and laughter.

After 6 years of DLR trips we just returned for 10 days at WDW.

I couldn't agree more.

I personally would have to disagree. I love and need the planning of WDW. I went to DLR last October and couldn't stand the spontaneity of it. I felt lost and honestly miserable. Knowing where I will eat, having all my fastpasses planned and ready is what fits my touring style better.

But yes if someone wants more spontaneity I feel DLR is a much better place for it.

I personally would have to disagree. I love and need the planning of WDW. I went to DLR last October and couldn't stand the spontaneity of it. I felt lost and honestly miserable. Knowing where I will eat, having all my fastpasses planned and ready is what fits my touring style better.

But yes if someone wants more spontaneity I feel DLR is a much better place for it.

My oldest DD turns 24 in May - her first trip was when she turned 5 in 2001 and the rule was never leave MK without a paper FP to Pooh in your pocket. DKR reminded me of the simpler trips to WDW of yore. When you could get multiple FP to a single ride each day, and some days have way more the 4 FP.

I think the stress from my last big WDW trip planning FP/Park days for a party of 12 in October of 2018 took its toll on me. We added my two now adult daughters to the DLR trip in late November - couldn't imagine the challenges and trade-offs we would have made had when gone to WDW versus DLR.

I agree from an attractions standpoint, that if spontaneity is what you want DLR is where you should go. With time and some luck you can get a lot of same day FP at WDW if your party is small enough, but it still is not as carefree and easy as DLR seems to be.

I have to disagree with you on the food though. WDW has come a long way with that. What once may have been virtually impossible, is now pretty easy. ADRs are plentiful day of and night before. If you're looking for a specific restaurant it may or may not be there, but save for a couple places there's not much trouble finding a same/next day ADR. Plenty of in park choices available at regular dinner hour tomorrow night (for a party of 4), as well as popular out of park restaurants such as Chef Mickeys, Ohana, and California Grill. Be Our Guest and Via Napoli seem to be the only in park restaurants not available at the moment for tomorrow.

We added my two now adult daughters to the DLR trip in late November - couldn't imagine the challenges and trade-offs we would have made had when gone to WDW versus DLR
The trade off would have been they could have watched you eat your meals from outside the restaurants and watched you walk by them, while using FP, while they were in standby :P haha
We have a trip with 12 this April and my brother asked if a friend who lives in Florida could be added to a reservation 3 months after I made them. A totally legitimate question in the real world. But a joke in DW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!