October W.I.S.H. Challenge - Being Our Best Selves

I am both a sweet and salty snacker. So I like my chocolate, cookies & brownies....as well as my chips, pretzels and popcorn. So I'm often looking for things to substitute that also cover my cravings. @PollyannaMom you reminded me that I used to snack on sea salted almonds! I think that is what I am missing mid-afternoon. I have to admit, I had to look up sesame chips. Turns out I've had them in snack mixes, just didn't know that's what they were called. For sweet, I can usually go to fruit...or a protein bar since they often have chocolate. Or I'm USUALLY okay to just have one little piece of chocolate. It's more the salty snacks where I just keep going and going and going.

For meals, I feel like I've been stuck in a routine of the same weekly meals. It's usually crockpot chicken, turkey tacos, crockpot pork tenderloin, pasta night, stir-fry (chicken, beef or shrimp...depending on the weekly budget), soup, or ham steaks. This week, I brought back fish (daughter is not a huge fan, so I often skip it). I also tried Hello Fresh in the past, so I pulled out some of those recipes. But I reminded myself that I used to go to skinnytaste.com. So I searched there again. I found this recipe that I think the whole family might like and is something we've never tried before. Plus it's in a crock pot, so that makes it a little more convenient for our busy schedule. It's called Crock Pot Picadillo.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-picadillo/
I also keep wanting to try spaghetti squash, but am a little nervous about making it since I don't feel like my cooking skills are all that great. And I don't know what the family's reaction will be either. @PollyannaMom I'm impressed with your son discovering tofu at college! You'll have to let us know if you find a good recipe. Honestly, that's one food I just never could get into. But maybe you could convince me ;)

I am not much of a snacker. I don't snack during the day.At night around 8 I will have a small snack. Usually some tortilla chips plain. Sometimes I will eat them with salsa but that is only if I make my own. Lately though I have been either having a mickey bar ice cream or a pack of Little Debbie Ho-Ho's.

Dinners have been a lot of the same lately. Though for breakfast this week we made an old casserole. On Sunday we made an egg, potato, ham, green pepper and onion casserole. We then make 10 breakfasts out of them. Very easy to just grab a container and go. I eat after I get to work. I leave my house 6:30 and it is way to early to eat. so this is great. You can change what you put in it. Different meats, veggies or even add some spices. We have used fresh cilantro before and also spinach. We cook about 5 potatoes in the oven until they are soft. We let them cool then peel, and cube. We then fry (with just a little bit of olive oil) the potatoes with the what ever else we are adding besides the eggs. then we whisk 12 eggs with some milk and salt and pepper. In a casserole dish (spray with cooking spray) add the potato mix and then pour the eggs over top. Cook on 350-375 until it is cooked. We usually start at 30 minutes and add time as needed. It is super easy.

Snacking is a real challenge for me because most snack food are off the list. Last time I was at the doctor's we came up with olives and smoked salmon as options. I've found some sweet potato crackers that are gluten free and not over packed with seeds, that I'll munch on in a pinch. I also got a box of Quest bars, which are high in protein and low sugar, that I use as snacks and as meal replacements, but they are really not that great so I don't think I"ll get any more.

When at home my dinners are very light, same sweet potato crackers, goat cheese and smoked salmon is my current go-to.

Since the change in my eating I have found that most days IF I have set up my meals well with the protein, fat, carb I am feel less snacky as the good fats must be satisfying me. However, if I have not done that well or it is little on the light side I get hungry and am looking for something. I am also snacking a little habitually with chocolate rather than a true I'm hungry it can be more like I gonna have some chocolate - if that makes sense. Things that I have traditionally had as snacks I have cut back on that were high carb or pretzels, chips, cookies (although I do sneak some cookies every so often) etc plus after having a bit of a reaction to the chicken twisties the other week it has kind of scared me off having other chips the kids might have in the house like doritos etc. So its kind of a good and bad thing as it is actually making me think even harder about some of my food choices and taking some extra care at the moment.

Mostly at the moment when feeling snacky I will have some berries, nuts (usually macadamia), dollop cream - and sometimes a little sprinkle of dark chop chips to meet my chocolate craving. Its not a giant portion - I have a small bowl I put it in but it is yummy. Or honestly its chocolate - I have been trying to mostly have dark chocolate for that though.

I have been using the diet doctor website as you all know and I am also starting to feel a little repetitive on some meals so I am going to start looking for other LCHF recipes out there :surfweb:

Wednesday Woohoos -

Health-related:
I was up early yesterday, so I walked on the treadmill before starting the day. :) (With the earlier sunsets, my evening plan is not working as well as it was.)

General:
I subbed in 1st grade yesterday afternoon, and it went really well. :) The kids were sweet and clever, and the teacher asked for my number to request me again!

Wednesday Woohoos -

Health-related:
I was up early yesterday, so I walked on the treadmill before starting the day. :) (With the earlier sunsets, my evening plan is not working as well as it was.)

General:
I subbed in 1st grade yesterday afternoon, and it went really well. :) The kids were sweet and clever, and the teacher asked for my number to request me again!
These are both awesome celebrations! I agree with you about the earlier sunsets. I enjoy the different seasons, but they definitely do cause a change in my routine and sometimes my emotions as well.

And I wish you were closer and could sub for me. We are having an awful time getting subs this year. And they are usually more geared towards the intermediate or upper grades. Seems to be much harder to find subs that enjoy the primary grades...especially kindergarten. That's wonderful that you found a class that you connected with so well and that the teacher wants to request you! :goodvibes

My woohoos:
-I have logged my food each day so far this week...even the few bad snack choices. But it's definitely determined from snacking more.
-I have bumped up my weights this week and am feeling good about my lifting
-I am down a few pounds this week (although I was up a few last week...)
-I'm also working on being more positive and I think it's helping us all get along better, both at school and at home.

Oh Wednesday, thank you for showing up. Have to admit its been a challenging week, as in too much work and not enough time to do it in. I'm really scrambling right now, and would dearly love some quiet leave-me-alone time to sink in to a couple tasks.

On the positive side, after deciding the sweater I'm knitting was way too big, I've now re-knit past the point where I started ripping out and am ready to start the shoulder decreases on the front.

When I was gone last week the pet nanny could only come one of the days, so I decided to try it as a test. I put out an extra litter box, and several extra bowls of water and food. It was not a success. Mike was really upset when I got home, and really didn't seem to feel well. I think having to eat dry food was too hard on his system. But he's recovered and was feeling well enough for a little wrestle with sister yesterday.

The rain seems to have tapered off, so will try to get more outside time the remainder of the week.

When I was gone last week the pet nanny could only come one of the days, so I decided to try it as a test. I put out an extra litter box, and several extra bowls of water and food. It was not a success. Mike was really upset when I got home, and really didn't seem to feel well. I think having to eat dry food was too hard on his system. But he's recovered and was feeling well enough for a little wrestle with sister yesterday.

Awww - poor baby. ((':cat:' )) <-Kitty hugs

I'm glad he's feeling better now!

Last edited:
Today I am thankful for good friends. My husband reached out to some of his friends to get a group together to go to our son's baseball Trivia Night fundraiser. So thankful for their support. My kids were picked up by my friend this morning for a ride to school since my husband, who usually drives the kids to school, had to go into work early. She was driving her daughter anyway since her husband is away for work this week. But this way I could still do my usual morning routine with workout, breakfast, shower, dress and get to work at usual time. I'm thankful that my kids have such a great group of friends. They will be going to their first high school Homecoming Dance with a large group of friends, many of whom they have known since kindergarten :)

I'm thankful Mike is feeling so much better. Yesterday I went to the pet store and picked out a new dry food that's easy on digestion, and also found a de-hyrdrated brand to try. Both are fish, instead of chicken which the old dry food was, thinking maybe his itchiness might be caused by chicken. They both loved the de-hydrated food, so that's exciting.

Also thankful for my follow up doctor appointment yesterday. The new labs all looked good except for the one cardiac marker. She thinks it's due to a high level of toxicity, so next month there will be a series of tests to try and identify what's it is.

Also thankful that I was able to carve out time yesterday to actually sit at my desk and do some work.

I am thankful for supportive work colleagues. I am also thankful DS15 come home from camp safe. He had so much fun. When I asked if there were any injuries he said some minor ones from falling off mountain bikes on the first day - he said one of the areas they rode through had lots of sticks around after the fires last month and a few people including him got sticks in their front wheel spokes - he said when it happened to him he went over the handle bars but some how completely flipped and he landed on his feet! Phew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter