October W.I.S.H. Challenge - Being Our Best Selves

Good morning and happy Tuesday, everyone!

I know many of us walk regularly, so what are your plans to keep active during the colder months (except for Sam! You will be a good source of advice!)?

@sjrec I love that leaf covered path. The kids were having fun throwing the leaves at recess yesterday. My teacher instinct was to tell them to stop throwing them. But then I saw the joy in their innocent little eyes as they just watched all the leaves float down. So precious! So yes, I have been enjoying the outside including taking some walks, bike rides or runs. But I do NOT like the cold. So as the weather gets colder, I will most likely just be doing my indoor workouts for my daily exercise. If needed, I can always double up and do two workouts if I want more exercise on days when we are really stuck inside (ex. snow days).

I don't walk to much outside. I like the treadmill much better. I am not an outdoorsy type of person. The picture with the leaves is beautiful to look at but all I can think about if I was walking it would be is there a snake hiding in them. I will walk outside sometimes but I try to avoid the metroparks as much as possible for this reason. My DH does not help either as he will tease me and say that he saw a snake. I am really bad at Disney to with this. At the resorts I walk in the middle of the walk way and away from the sides as much as possible.

Good morning and happy Tuesday, everyone!

I know many of us walk regularly, so what are your plans to keep active during the colder months (except for Sam! You will be a good source of advice!)?

Treadmill here, too. Though I enjoy walking outside (especially with others), sometimes the timing is just not right and the treadmill works better for me.

This morning the sidewalk behind the bus stop was covered with leaves, as thick as the picture. Hopefully no one rakes them up today and I can kick them around tomorrow morning... wish I had thought of it today!

I do find being out of doors invigorating and need to do more of it. This week is predicted to be dry and cold, perfect for getting out for walks before time changes this weekend and sunset starts happening an hour earlier - which means 5pm! I like to bundle up and be snugly. It's a happy day when I can start wearing my puffy coat in the fall. I bought a new puffy coat on clearance the end of last winter, but it's just a tiny bit small so I haven't been wearing it much yet, just enough to realize how much puff has disappeared from my old coat.

Had a hard time settling in to work yesterday and I can tell today is going to be the same. I'm toying with the idea of taking Friday off, nothing planned just kind of feel like I want to.

I don't walk to much outside. I like the treadmill much better. I am not an outdoorsy type of person. The picture with the leaves is beautiful to look at but all I can think about if I was walking it would be is there a snake hiding in them. I will walk outside sometimes but I try to avoid the metroparks as much as possible for this reason. My DH does not help either as he will tease me and say that he saw a snake. I am really bad at Disney to with this. At the resorts I walk in the middle of the walk way and away from the sides as much as possible.
I have seen one occasionally, but they zoom off before you get near them. I see lots of chipmunks-they’re so cute! And then there’s usually a hawk lurking nearby looking for a snack.

This morning the sidewalk behind the bus stop was covered with leaves, as thick as the picture. Hopefully no one rakes them up today and I can kick them around tomorrow morning... wish I had thought of it today!

I do find being out of doors invigorating and need to do more of it. This week is predicted to be dry and cold, perfect for getting out for walks before time changes this weekend and sunset starts happening an hour earlier - which means 5pm! I like to bundle up and be snugly. It's a happy day when I can start wearing my puffy coat in the fall. I bought a new puffy coat on clearance the end of last winter, but it's just a tiny bit small so I haven't been wearing it much yet, just enough to realize how much puff has disappeared from my old coat.

Had a hard time settling in to work yesterday and I can tell today is going to be the same. I'm toying with the idea of taking Friday off, nothing planned just kind of feel like I want to.
I forgot about the time change this weekend! Thanks for the reminder.
I love my puffy coat-I think it will be coming out soon.
Friday’s off are always a good idea-unless it’s a Monday!

@sjrec I love that leaf covered path. The kids were having fun throwing the leaves at recess yesterday. My teacher instinct was to tell them to stop throwing them. But then I saw the joy in their innocent little eyes as they just watched all the leaves float down. So precious! So yes, I have been enjoying the outside including taking some walks, bike rides or runs. But I do NOT like the cold. So as the weather gets colder, I will most likely just be doing my indoor workouts for my daily exercise. If needed, I can always double up and do two workouts if I want more exercise on days when we are really stuck inside (ex. snow days).
I love this! With all the electronics, isn’t it fun to watch kids just play outdoors?

I have seen one occasionally, but they zoom off before you get near them. I see lots of chipmunks-they’re so cute! And then there’s usually a hawk lurking nearby looking for a snack.

OMG if I saw a snake I would lose it. I had a friend that brought one out once. It was a baby gater snake. Like the size of a pencil. I froze. I couldn't even open the door that was behind me and I couldn't stop the tears. My fear is bad.

Chipmunks I can do. They are kind of cute. We have one that lives under our front patio. We have tried everything to get rid of it without killing it. It always comes back. My husband works from home and sits where he can look out the window that looks out to the front yard and the patio. This chipmunk will sit and stare at him all day teasing him. It is funny.

WooHoo! I'll woohoo about Mike again. He had a pretty rough weekend, then I realized I was still giving him chicken in his wet food (sometimes I'm a little slow), so switched that out as well and he seems much more comfortable. Still scratching, but not as much.

Several weeks ago I bought a box of fabric scraps from a sustainable clothing company I like, wonderful linen dyed with natural dyes. I also ordered some white linen, which should arrive in a day or two... the plan is to spend the winter slow stitching a quilt together. I'm going to do a super simple pattern:

Some of the white linen I'm going to dye myself... first time I'll do my own dyeing after all of the classes I've taken. Quite excited about it all. The need for stillness and quiet is something that came up during the card reading and is so in-line with how I've been feeling about things like sweeping instead of using the vacuum and hand stitching instead of using the sewing machine. Of course I do need to finish knitting my sweater, and the scarf I'm working on...

WooHoo! I'll woohoo about Mike again. He had a pretty rough weekend, then I realized I was still giving him chicken in his wet food (sometimes I'm a little slow), so switched that out as well and he seems much more comfortable. Still scratching, but not as much.

Several weeks ago I bought a box of fabric scraps from a sustainable clothing company I like, wonderful linen dyed with natural dyes. I also ordered some white linen, which should arrive in a day or two... the plan is to spend the winter slow stitching a quilt together. I'm going to do a super simple pattern:

View attachment 448805

Some of the white linen I'm going to dye myself... first time I'll do my own dyeing after all of the classes I've taken. Quite excited about it all. The need for stillness and quiet is something that came up during the card reading and is so in-line with how I've been feeling about things like sweeping instead of using the vacuum and hand stitching instead of using the sewing machine. Of course I do need to finish knitting my sweater, and the scarf I'm working on...
Oh, Oneanne that will be beautiful!

My Woohoo -- Today a friend of mine (former co-worker) came up to work and had lunch with a few of us. She left after she had her first baby to stay home. We have been trying to get together for what feels like a year. We took about a 2 hour lunch. It was such a nice time hanging out for a bit.

Hello everyone,

Things have been busy! As for walking in winter - for me winter is pretty mild compared to the conditions many of you experience! But the darker for longer does impact with shorter days. I did also find that some days we just did it - walking in the dark (only when with my friend) and others I did a you-tube clip for the cardio.

The picture with the leaves is beautiful to look at but all I can think about if I was walking it would be is there a snake hiding in them
Haha you sound like me - we have so many beautiful walking areas around here that I don't do - because I worry about the snakes too!

This week is ugh! I have not had the time for my walking, by eating is slightly off and I think peri-menopause is playing with my cycle again which means I have not lost what I wanted to lose by the end of October and have even slightly increased since last week. I am so finding this small yoyoing right near the the 90kg barrier so frustrating - I think mentally if I could just get under 90kg that would feel like an achievement and help with the journey! Right now I feel like I am stuck in the 90s (and not in a good way haha).

In other news - my scratch test was not all that helpful - I reacted to the dust mites - but I don't experience symptoms to that in my day to day life at the moment. Once dot was done right down near my wrist but then it made it hard to see and he thought there may have been a very slight sensitivity to egg whites - but also felt that the level of reaction on my skin did not indicate it was coming into play in the reactions I have had after eating! So there we have it - I know alot of things I didn't react to and nothing of what food I need to avoid. I did get some of the himalayan salt from the care and he mixed it with water and tested it too - no reaction - so if may have been from the nitrate free bacon. I have a list of most of the ingredients for the cure - so will do a comparison with Maccas and see if I can see any same ingredients - to be a little wary of.

@MickeyMom76 I hope you get some better answers than I did :)

Hello everyone,

Things have been busy! As for walking in winter - for me winter is pretty mild compared to the conditions many of you experience! But the darker for longer does impact with shorter days. I did also find that some days we just did it - walking in the dark (only when with my friend) and others I did a you-tube clip for the cardio.

Haha you sound like me - we have so many beautiful walking areas around here that I don't do - because I worry about the snakes too!

This week is ugh! I have not had the time for my walking, by eating is slightly off and I think peri-menopause is playing with my cycle again which means I have not lost what I wanted to lose by the end of October and have even slightly increased since last week. I am so finding this small yoyoing right near the the 90kg barrier so frustrating - I think mentally if I could just get under 90kg that would feel like an achievement and help with the journey! Right now I feel like I am stuck in the 90s (and not in a good way haha).

In other news - my scratch test was not all that helpful - I reacted to the dust mites - but I don't experience symptoms to that in my day to day life at the moment. Once dot was done right down near my wrist but then it made it hard to see and he thought there may have been a very slight sensitivity to egg whites - but also felt that the level of reaction on my skin did not indicate it was coming into play in the reactions I have had after eating! So there we have it - I know alot of things I didn't react to and nothing of what food I need to avoid. I did get some of the himalayan salt from the care and he mixed it with water and tested it too - no reaction - so if may have been from the nitrate free bacon. I have a list of most of the ingredients for the cure - so will do a comparison with Maccas and see if I can see any same ingredients - to be a little wary of.

That’s a lot to go through and not get any definitive answers. I had a friend whose doctor had her keep a food diary (I want to say for a month?) and her reaction to what she ate-it took a while to determine what she was allergic to, so hoping you will get it figured out as well.
I like your suggestions re YouTube for a cardio workout-it’s been a while since I have worked with my weights so will have to dig out the light ones!

Hello everyone,

I was just logging in to check in with you to see how you made out! So sorry it didn't give you answers. I'm feeling a little anxious about tomorrow since it is the first day I have to stop all my allergy medications because of the testing on Tuesday. And this week has been worse in terms of sinus pressure, congestion, and headaches. And that's while I'm on my allergy meds. Plus tomorrow brings extra excitement in kindergarten with it being Halloween. And Saturday is my nephews first birthday, so I don't want to be all allergy miserable. But I'm also trying to stay positive and hoping all of that will just distract me from all of the allergy symptoms.

View attachment 448798

Woohoo! It’s Wednesday-what are you celebrating?
Things to woohoo - a quiet night with no plans, still getting my workouts in each morning (even though it's super dark outside and I just want to stay in bed), Halloween will soon be over and hopefully my class will calm back down afterwards, I tried that new recipe tonight (Crock Pot Picadillo) and the family liked it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!