Of course we're going back to Disney - where else would I be? A July, '19 PTR - Updated 07-01

Ruthie5671

DIS Veteran
Hello friends old and new and welcome to another pre-trip report! I know you're probably thinking that when anyone last heard from me, it was going to be 2020 or 2021 before we would be going back to the wonderful world of Disney. Well, that was supposed to be the plan. We were going to save up, be responsible and plan the mega-trip when all the financial stars in the sky lined up.

And then life happened.

But before I tell you how life happened, allow me to introduce the cast of characters that make up the Kellogg family!

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_412363022133.jpg

I'm Ruthie and I will be your hostess and story teller. I've been a Disney addict all my life. There was a long pause of trips between childhood and adulthood and I've been making up for that lapse in the past two years! This will be our third trip in two years. Yup, we're those people. By day I am a social worker for the state of Kentucky and drive part-time for a ride sharing company. That side gig helps to buy me pretty things!!! That cute guy next to me who looks like Rick from Pawn Stars is my sweet husband Tony. He has never had the obsession of Disney that I have had, but he has since started drinking the kool-aid and now he is as obsessed with going as I am. He is a part-time security guard and a recent college graduate. His goal in life is to be the personal security guard for Ariel or Cinderella. Dream big honey - dream big.

So as I said, this trip originally was not in the cards for us this year. But a few things happened - AKA life unfortunate events - that made us decide that there is no reason to just wait around to do the fun things. Basically, we've had a rough year (yes, it is just the end of March). My dear husband had two car accidents earlier this year with the second one totaling out our vehicle. He also blew out the motor in his car, basically making it worthless. He has also been battling sickness basically since Christmas. Tony had a kidney transplant 4 1/2 years ago and he takes anti-rejection medicine, but taking those meds also has him more susceptible to being sick. He is on his third bout of pneumonia and he came seriously close to being admitted to the hospital earlier this week. But he is finally feeling somewhat better today and I hope that a pulmonologist will be able to keep his lungs infection free. But the saddest thing that sent us over the edge is that Tony's nephew passed away earlier this month. He sadly took his own life after battling substance abuse and mental health issues. He was only 21 years old and left behind two small kiddos. It is something we will never have the full understanding of the "why" but it was just soul crushing to Tony to lose his first nephew and best fishing buddy. It was shortly after that we decided that we most definitely needed a vacation. It was actually Tony's idea to go back to Disney (I figured we would be headed to the beach), but who am I to say no to my happy spot. And it made him smile, which is hard to accomplish these days.

So hang on to your personal belongings my friends as we navigate the planning of our trip. Basically all I've managed to do is get our hotel scheduled - All Star Music from July 5-12. An entire week at Disney! I cannot wait!

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRESORTSANDMORE_412308708571.jpg

I am so sorry to hear about your nephew, as well as all the other troubles you've had these last several weeks. {{{Hugs}}} My daughter had a bone marrow transplant and took the anti-rejection drugs, so I can relate somewhat to those problems.

It's so funny, but JUST LAST NIGHT we were watching Pawn Stars and I thought of you. I'm sorry if that makes me weird, it's just that I did read your other TR's :rotfl2:.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your July trip.

I thought before moving onward I would post the links to my previous trip reports. I can be fairly entertaining and you can read about our antics! In 2018 we went to Disney twice - the first time in January - https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...18-trip-report-updated-06-26-the-end.3658353/ and the second time in July - https://www.disboards.com/threads/y...a-july-2018-tr-updated-11-15-the-end.3694555/.

So we are going to be at Disney from July 5-12. I really wanted to go in June and have us be in Disney over our anniversary, but there were slim pickings when it came to resort options. Or rather, we could stay at Bay Lake Tower or the Poly with no problem, but my frugal heart just wouldn't allow it. I had even priced out some moderate resorts and trying to justify the cost in my head. But I kept thinking that the extra $400 we would be spending to stay in a moderate would buy a whole lot of pretty things. And I like buying pretty things. The ultimate decision was that we are value resort people. Yes, there are a lot of kids. And travel groups. And kids. But as long as the room is clean and the bed is comfortable, I am good with anywhere on the property.

Disney-All-Star-Music-Exterior-001.jpg

If you've read my previous trip reports, you know that our mode of transportation to get to Disney is driving. Yes, pull out Google Maps and you will see that from Frankfort, KY to Disney is about a 13 hour drive. With no construction. HAHAHAHA!! Hello Atlanta! In reality, when you factor in construction, stops and general things that seem to always happen to us, it takes about 16 hours to get there. We do this in 2 days. I'm the only driver (see Tony's history of car accidents noted previously) and there is no way I can do all that driving in one day and still maintain my cheery disposition. We will leave at the crack of dawn on Thursday, July 4th and stop for the night in Valdosta, GA. Once we get up and moving on July 5th, there is only about 4 hours to go, which is really not too bad. I'm pretty hyper by that point, so Tony may or may not be putting in his ear buds and ignoring my constant chatter and obnoxious singing. The new van has Sirius Radio - 80's on 8 my friends - programmed on Channel #1.

Like our last trip, we have reserved a handicapped room with a king sized bed. Tony and I both use ECV's during our trip. There is no way in the world we can do all of that walking. Tony's medical issues are lengthy, and in between that and our fluffiness, an ECV is a must for us. The handicapped room has slightly wider doors and with only one bed, there is enough room to park both of the ECV's against the wall so they are out of the way. We are going to use a different ECV vendor this year - Gold Mobility. The past two times we used a different vendor, but Gold Mobility has come highly recommended and their prices are a bit less. I still need to make that reservation. There are a lot of things I still need to get going on.

Like some dining reservations!

93 more days!

I am so sorry to hear about your nephew, as well as all the other troubles you've had these last several weeks. {{{Hugs}}} My daughter had a bone marrow transplant and took the anti-rejection drugs, so I can relate somewhat to those problems.

It's so funny, but JUST LAST NIGHT we were watching Pawn Stars and I thought of you. I'm sorry if that makes me weird, it's just that I did read your other TR's :rotfl2:.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your July trip.

Okay, that is seriously funny that you thought of us while watching Pawn Stars. Not at all weird - okay, maybe weird, but more funny. Glad you're along for the ride!

Ruthie- I'm here!! Glad I found your PTR!! :cool1:

I'm so very sorry about Tony's nephew! So many stories like this- it's just heartbreaking! :hug: to you and Tony!!

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!:goodvibes

Joining in and can't wait to read more. We will also be there in July but not until the end of the month into August. Sorry about all the difficulties you are both are having so far this year. I also go into a car accident last month so I know how much it sucks. Can't wait to read more.

Following along! I've enjoyed your previous trip reports and I love that you embrace being "value resort people" (we are too!). Can't wait to read all about it!

Food - and other stuff!
Tony and I finally had a few minutes together over the weekend and mapped out our tentative eating plan. I say tentative because I could not secure the holy grail of dinner eatings - O'Hana. On our last trip I managed to get us a last minute reservation there as a surprise to Tony and he just fell in love with the place. Sometimes when I ask him what he wants for dinner, the reply I get is "dumplings from O'Hana". He's just not right. I'm checking the app several times a day to see if I can get a reservation that isn't at 9:30 at night (which is currently all I can find). I know with patience something will come open. But patience is not my strength.

We like to try new and different places every time we travel, so all of these restaurants are "new to us"!

Arrival day - The Edison Dinner at Disney Springs/The Landing
July 6th - Tony's Town Square at Magic Kingdom (this is the day I want O'Hana)
July 7th - Minnie's Beach Bash Breakfast at Cape May Café
July 8th - Boma - Flavors of Africa Diner at Animal Kingdom Lodge
July 9th - Whispering Canyon Café at Wilderness Lodge
July 10th - Coral Reef Restaurant at EPCOT
July 11th - Minnie's Seasonal Dine Dinner at Hollywood and Vine

What I really hope happens is that I can get the O'Hana dinner for the 6th and then cancel Hollywood and Vine and put Mama Melrose in there. I didn't really want to have two Italian meals scheduled, even though the menus are pretty different. I still might change them. I'm not sure. If anyone has any suggestions about other fabulous places I haven't thought of yet, let me know. I was also trying to get Storybook Dining Dinner so I can meet the Evil Queen and my secret crush Dopey. But alas, nothing available. I know that the time of year we are going makes things absolutely crazy busy, which is why the more popular places are all booked up.

Once we secured our dining, it helped us map out the plan for which park we will visit on each day. But then I was looking at the parks calendar, Magic Kingdom has evening extra magic hours on July 10th (not the paid party - real extra hours). I thought it might be fun to change around our days to have that be our MK day. I haven't done it yet. Still not sure. If I changed MK to the 10th, then I can have EPCOT day one on day one and then change the 11th to EPCOT day two. That would completely eliminate Hollywood and Vine and we would pick something else. I might like ending the trip with the very last time we will see Illuminations. And with this typing I've about talked myself into the change!!! I seriously need help. I really want to have all of this locked in before our fast pass day. Which is May 6th - my birthday. Seems appropriate.

And now for more interesting news - Tony found out last night that his boss will let him take off for two weeks instead of one, so we decided to add bonus days to the trip! Not extra Disney days - just too expensive and a week is plenty. We have had several ideas and have narrowed them down to these - what do you think??

1. Leave the Disney bubble and check into a condo (we did this on our January trip) for a couple of Sea World days. Tony has never been to Sea World and for me it has been at least 15 years. The down side to this is just simply the cost. I haven't priced it out yet, but I'm guessing it would be expensive.

2. Spend a couple of days at Daytona Beach. Not too far of a drive from Disney and we can just relax and enjoy a couple of days before the crash of reality hits us when getting home. Other than having never been there before, I don't see that there is much of a down side.

3. Spend a couple of days at Myrtle Beach. More of a drive to get there and then get home than if we went to Daytona. But we've been there before so we're more familiar with the area.

4. Spend a couple of days in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Relatively close to home (less than 4 hours), but no ocean view. It would likely be less expensive than the other options and we are very familiar with the area.

Help me decide friends! I feel like since we will be doing these bonus days over a weekend I need to secure the lodging sooner rather than later so we don't end up somewhere that looks like it should be condemned by the Board of Health.

Sorry this post was so wordy and absolutely no pictures to include. I'll try to be more creative for my next installment.

86 more days!

Ruthie- I'm here!! Glad I found your PTR!! :cool1:

I'm so very sorry about Tony's nephew! So many stories like this- it's just heartbreaking! :hug: to you and Tony!!

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!:goodvibes

Hi Patty!!! It has been a rough start to the year for us and so many other people. It is the "why" that is so hard to understand. Thanks for the kind words.

Joining in and can't wait to read more. We will also be there in July but not until the end of the month into August. Sorry about all the difficulties you are both are having so far this year. I also go into a car accident last month so I know how much it sucks. Can't wait to read more.

Hi Corrine and :welcome:. We actually like traveling in the summer months. I know it will be hot and rain every afternoon. Winter months are too unpredictable. Mother Nature hates me. Sorry to hear about your car accident. I hope you are on the mend!

Following along! I've enjoyed your previous trip reports and I love that you embrace being "value resort people" (we are too!). Can't wait to read all about it!

:welcome: - I'm glad that you're reading along. I'm sure I could easily be a deluxe resort person, but my budget just screams "NOOOOOOO". And honestly I just adore the cuteness of the theming of the values. I'm secretly a five year old child disguised as an adult. Don't tell anyone!

It would be my dream if my hubby would fall in love with O'Hana, but alas...not going to happen!

My vote for your post vacation rest would be Daytona. I've never been there, but the ocean does sound very relaxing after Disney! And if it's closer all around for your drive, it sounds like a win.

Hi Ruthie! :D Glad to have found your TR and I am joining in! I am very sorry that Tom's nephew took his life and I pray that G-d is watching over him, you, Tom, and the rest of his family and those close to him. I hope Tom's health is improving and I cannot wait for you both to have an amazing trip! :D Your trip plans sound excellent and your dining choices look very good! :D As far as a trip after Disney I think that based on your choices, Daytona Beach is an excellent choice, as the beach is very nice, it is not too far from WDW being only about 1.5-hours northeast via I-4, and has some other nice things to do like checking out NASCAR, a boardwalk, and the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse. Cannot wait for more updates! :D

I've read your other TR's - glad I found your PTR! Nothing better than a Disney trip to lift your spirits. Your plans sound great. The price of rooms has gone a little crazy - even the moderates have gone up so much. A deluxe is definitely a budget buster! Daytona sounds good to me for your post Disney days. I'll be watching for updates to see how your plans fall into place!

Trip update and real life jabbering . .
The thing about pre-trip reports is that there are times where literally nothing is going on.

We are at that time.

I'm still three weeks away from being able to make fast passes. I've mentally made a list of all the top rides we want to get FP for, but until the clock strikes 7:00 AM on May 6th, they are just thoughts in my head. Tony very much likes roller coasters and the simulator rides. I could spend my day on Spaceship Earth and Safari. Throw in a character meet and a parade, and it is my idea of heaven. So the idea when scheduling FP is all about balance. If I throw in a roller coaster first and then slide in a character meet with a promise of another roller coaster for him later, it is a good combination. It is our opposite likes that makes us a good couple.

I did ask Tony about shuffling up our days so that we can have the evening extra magic hours at Magic Kingdom. He was surprisingly on board with this plan. I gently reminded him that on most nights he is snoring on the couch by 9:00, and with this new plan we would be closing down the park at midnight and then fighting the crowds to get back to the resort. His response to me was "babe, don't worry about it - I can stay awake!". Okay honey, I forgot you were a party animal.

animal-muppet.png

So it looks like we are going to have day #1 be EPCOT, day #2 be HS, day #3 still AK, day #4 still rest day, day #5 be MK and day #6 be EPCOT. We need to change some dining reservations. Well, most of our reservations. I signed up for a touring plan and put in a request for 'Ohana for our MK day. The only thing that has popped up so far is 9:30 PM. I found that on my own - I just cannot have dinner that late. Besides that would defeat the whole purpose of the extra hours. So hopefully something will pop up.

We also finally decided what we wanted to do with our bonus days of vacation. Tony's initial thought was to add days to Disney. Honey you're a genius - I'll call right now!

Side note - I love calling Disney. The cast members are so friendly and the on-hold music makes me happy.

Anyway, I talked to this super nice cast member who did some typing and math. And she told me that would could absolutely extend our trip a couple of days. For an additional $900. Now I realize we're spending a crap ton of money on this trip. I missed the window for the summer discount and I haven't received any unique offer codes, so we are paying rack rate. But I just had a hard time paying that kind of money for just two more days when we will have already been there a week. So I thanked the CM for all of her help and we had to decide what else we could do. I told him what my previous options were and then my brilliant husband asked me a question - had I ever been to Saint Augustine? Well, no, I haven't ever been there. And then bonus days were born.

Fountain of youth.jpg

I haven't made any hotel reservations yet, but I did find a Groupon for a hop on/hop off trolley in Saint Augustine that will show us all of the cool things. Like the Fountain of Youth. Yes, I will touch the water and magically make all the wrinkles vanish! Or something like that!

As for real life stuff, we may have a bump in the road for all of these plans. Tony draws Social Security due to his many health issues and participates in a program where he works part-time. He can only earn a certain amount of money each month or the government determines that he is able bodied enough to work full time and he does not need the additional benefits. My sweet husband would work 70 hours a week if his physical health limitations didn't fight him at every turn. As it is, he does his 21 hours a week and it takes him a day or two to feel like he is rested (he has multiple sclerosis on top of everything else, which exhausts him). So in the mail the other day we get a letter from Social Security stating that they are "reviewing his case" to determine that he still qualifies for benefits. We have to submit all of his pay stubs so they can go over them to ensure that he is in compliance. Now we know that he is in compliance, but this is not our first rodeo with Social Security. They have taken away his benefits before and we had to fight and fight to get them back. If for some reason they decide he no longer qualifies, the trip is off and we will be living in our van. Well, we might not be living in the van, but it will be a significant hit to our monthly income that we don't have to spare. And the trip will be off. So Tony is bringing all of the paperwork to the Social Security office on Wednesday and then we wait.

I'm not a patient person. At all. So while there is a big part of me that is over the moon excited about the trip, there is an even bigger part of me that is worried that the long arm of the government is going to kill our plans and make our lives miserable. I'm trying to think happy thoughts.

80 more days.

It would be my dream if my hubby would fall in love with O'Hana, but alas...not going to happen!

My vote for your post vacation rest would be Daytona. I've never been there, but the ocean does sound very relaxing after Disney! And if it's closer all around for your drive, it sounds like a win.

Tony just loved 'Ohana the first time we walked in there. Hawaii is on his bucket list to visit, so this was the closest he's ever gotten. We decided to do Saint Augustine for our bonus days. About an hour north of Daytona - I'm really excited.

Hi Ruthie! :D Glad to have found your TR and I am joining in! I am very sorry that Tom's nephew took his life and I pray that G-d is watching over him, you, Tom, and the rest of his family and those close to him. I hope Tom's health is improving and I cannot wait for you both to have an amazing trip! :D Your trip plans sound excellent and your dining choices look very good! :D As far as a trip after Disney I think that based on your choices, Daytona Beach is an excellent choice, as the beach is very nice, it is not too far from WDW being only about 1.5-hours northeast via I-4, and has some other nice things to do like checking out NASCAR, a boardwalk, and the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse. Cannot wait for more updates! :D

:welcome: to the party!!! Tony has finally recovered from his many bouts of pneumonia. He gets better from one thing and then generally has issues with his chronic illnesses. He has a good attitude though. He's a pretty fabulous person. When he's not bothering me!

I've read your other TR's - glad I found your PTR! Nothing better than a Disney trip to lift your spirits. Your plans sound great. The price of rooms has gone a little crazy - even the moderates have gone up so much. A deluxe is definitely a budget buster! Daytona sounds good to me for your post Disney days. I'll be watching for updates to see how your plans fall into place!

:welcome:- thanks for following along with my craziness! The price of the rooms have gotten crazy. I'm so irritated with myself to have missed the deadline for the summer discounts. I cannot imagine paying for a deluxe.

Dining changes!!
Remember how a couple of posts ago I had practically talked myself into changing the majority of our plans to align up with evening extra magic hours at Magic Kingdom? I talked to Tony and argued with myself back and forth - for all of about five minutes - and then we decided, yes - we need to close down the Magic Kingdom! Of course that meant we needed to adjust our park days and then adjust our dining reservations.

Tony and I would also have to be in the same room at the same time without one of us either falling asleep or running out the door for whoever's turn it is to go to work.

Seriously folks - I feel like we hardly see each other! This is why we need this vacay!

Well on Saturday I fired up the laptop to begin changing things around. After some clicking and I might add - some amazingly good luck - here is what we have finally got for our park and dining plans:

July 5th - Arrival day - Disney Springs - The Edison Dinner
July 6th - EPCOT - Chefs de France
July 7th - Hollywood Studios - Minnie's Beach Bash Breakfast at Cape May Café
July 8th - Animal Kingdom - Boma - Flavors of Africa
July 9th - Rest/pool day - Whispering Canyon Café
July 10th - Magic Kingdom - 'Ohana
July 11th - EPCOT - Teppan Edo
July 12th - Checking out

Oh wait - did you catch what I said up there? I'll repeat . . . .

I got 'Ohana!!!!!

And I got it at 6:55 PM!!!!

On our Magic Kingdom day!!!

Wife points.png

I almost jumped off of the couch when I searched and found this reservation. I had planned on booking Liberty Tree Tavern or something else around the MK and then just keep stalking the site for the 'Ohana reservation. My only issue is the time - 6:55 PM. If we are running behind and knowing how long dinner can take there, I don't want to be rushing in order to get back over to MK for fireworks. And I love Happily Ever After fireworks. I really love all of Disney's fireworks. So I'm going to keep checking for something earlier. But even if I cannot find an earlier slot, it won't matter, cause I got 'Ohana!!!

My next steps are to reserve our ECV's and I can reserve fast passes in two weeks. I've also been looking at VRBO for St. Augustine, but most of those require a weeks reservation, and we only plan to stay three nights. I'm going to keep looking. Something will come up!

In the meantime . . . 72 more days!

Your plans sound great - I'm jealous. My plan was to go back this year but it may not happen. If not, next year for sure! Good luck with the benefits drama. I deal with my 96 year old Mom's benefits and it can be so frustrating to say the least! Sad that your DH working PT could derail him qualifying. Keep thinking positive thoughts!

Okay honey, I forgot you were a party animal.

:laughing: So Tony has a party animal side- yay!!party:

had I ever been to Saint Augustine? Well, no, I haven't ever been there. And then bonus days were born.

St. Augustine sounds so wonderful! I've heard so much about it- would love to go there sometime!! Can't wait to hear all about it!:thumbsup2

I'm trying to think happy thoughts.

Sending positive thoughts and pixiedust: that all goes well for Tony!

I got 'Ohana!!!!!

:jumping1: Wonderful news!!

Your plans sound great!! Yummy restaurants!!:)

Just a quick pop in to say I was able to take advantage of the room-only discount offer that dropped this morning. I called first, but the wait was going to be over an hour, and while I love listening to the Disney music, I was at work and just couldn't be on the phone waiting that long. So I went on-line and was able to modify our reservation and it was very easy. We were able to save $150, which will cover our tips for our sit down dinners! Score for me!

Your plans sound great - I'm jealous. My plan was to go back this year but it may not happen. If not, next year for sure! Good luck with the benefits drama. I deal with my 96 year old Mom's benefits and it can be so frustrating to say the least! Sad that your DH working PT could derail him qualifying. Keep thinking positive thoughts!

We weren't going to go back this year, especially after our double dip last year. I could have said no when Tony suggested the trip. But who am I kidding? I cannot say no to Disney.

Hi Ruthie, I am loving your PTR! You are so funny and have a great attitude. I'll be following along.
Question: How do you deal with the heat in July? We will be there the first week of July and I am worried I'll wilt and melt into oblivion by afternoon each day. Not to mention the rain.
We have only been in October or November. Last October was hot and humid enough!

Hi Ruthie, I am loving your PTR! You are so funny and have a great attitude. I'll be following along.
Question: How do you deal with the heat in July? We will be there the first week of July and I am worried I'll wilt and melt into oblivion by afternoon each day. Not to mention the rain.
We have only been in October or November. Last October was hot and humid enough!

Oh, Disney in July. The truth be told - I enjoy the summer months better than when we went in January. Basically because I know what to expect in July - hot, hot, hot and at least one rain shower mid-afternoon. January was crazy unpredictable. For me, my first thing is comfortable and light colored clothes. Even though I'm a fluffy gal, I do not hesitate to wear sleeveless shirts and capri leggings and just let my fluffiness fly free. Most of my tops are flowy so that way things are not sticking to me. We also pack a small cooler with frozen washcloths. Some people swear by cooling cloths, but my mom used to always take just your average washcloth and completely soak it in cold water, but them in baggies and throw them in the freezer. We do this and put them in the cooler and by the time we need them later, they are cool and refreshing on my neck, back, Tony's poor bald head, whatever we might need. I also throw water bottles in the cooler also. You've absolutely got to stay hydrated. And the good thing is that if it just gets too miserable, that is the perfect time to see a show in a nice air conditioned theater. And yes, it will rain. Bring a poncho! You will have a blast!!!

Nothing new to write about today, but I just wanted to check in. I'm still stalking the dining site to see for a slightly better time for 'Ohana. My guess is that I'll find something a day or two before. But as long as we have something, I will take it. My plans for this week is to pay off the trip (not sure why I haven't done it yet - probably because the balance in our savings account right now is very happy!), order the ECV's and order a special gift for Tony. I found a Groupon for the hot air balloon at Disney Springs and with a coupon, it will be dirt cheap, so I'm going to order that for him. I am not going on that death trap in the sky. Yeah, I'm afraid of heights. Like ridiculously scary afraid of heights. Tony got me on the Orlando Eye last year and that was barely tolerable only because we were in an enclosed container. My fears and angst were documented well in my trip report - feel free to go back and read! There is no way in the world I'm stepping foot into a hot air balloon with nothing between me and the ground. So Tony will get to go and enjoy. He will take pictures. And hopefully not drop his phone.

65 more days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!