Off-Site Hotels for Universal

tiberius

DIS Veteran
We are taking a short trip down to Orlando next May/June and will be staying at Disney's Beach Club Villas and then either RPR or HRH at Universal. It looks like we will be able to add a few days on the front side of our trip and I was considering some extra Universal and touring Orlando days.

I have never been to Universal, so I am not familiar with reasonable off-site hotels convenient to the area. I am nearly overwhelmed by the hotel options through sites such as hotel kingdom and undercover tourist. Therefore, I am seeking some advice here on reasonable options without ending up in a dump. I would prefer to be conveniently located for Universal, but am will to take shuttles, bus, etc.. if it is better than driving myself.

We recently stayed at the Sleep Inn and Suites on Major Blvd which is literally right across the street from an entrance to Universal. Free shuttle to UO available, although you could also walk. Continental B'fast (looked pretty decent--but we skipped it to go to a character meal at Confisco) was included. We paid $38 + tax for the night we stayed. Booked through HotelKingdom. Very nice place. Although they did not have hair dryers in the room, I would stay again.

Thanks for the tip on the Sleep Inn. Hopefully, some others will chime in here with some other hotels right by the front gates.

heres a great option.... homewood suites on hospitality way is right around the corner from universal(literally) and is brand new.. and so nice. we received a great rate last year and had a lovely room (s) that accomodated six with a separate bedroom, full kitchen, livingroom area etc. mon thru thurs they have a "social" or managers reception from 5-7 i think where they had free hot dogs, salad, mac and cheese ,snacks, some lemonade , cookies etc. all complimentary. breakfast is included each day and it is a hot buffet not just the usual continental fare. we couldnt have been more pleased. enjoy!:sunny:

TO Jodyluvsdisney and imgonnabe40

When you say these hotels are close within walking distance do your really mean you would walk? Do they have shuttles? We have never been to Universal so I don't know what to expect in terms of walking. Would you stay at one of these places without a rental car to park at the Studios? We usually do Disney with just a towncar from the airport but not sure about Universal. Would appreciate any suggetions or comments,

Thanks!

ALso has anyone stayed at the COMFORT Suites on Major boulevard?

Thanks again!

hmmm... i dont think i would tell you to walk it (and i love to walk), its a hike and theres tons of traffic... pretty urban. we had a car and it was literally around the corner, excellent area. i do think i read they had a shuttle... just call the front desk of this particular homewood suites and ask . by the way... i think they may have raised their prices just a bit from what i am reading... they are well worth it though i believe... i appreciate clean, bright, and safe :) ! good luck!

I would add those extra nights to on site for FOTL if you are going to the parks, but if you are considering being frugal with your money......;) you can try the Crowne Plaza which is close by. Some people have reported staying there for $69. It's new and very nice.

we're looking for the same thing - off site /20-2/22 -close and clean. any other suggestions?

I couldn't agree more with SpideyHulk24. The FOTL Access is more then worth the extra money. If you can afford Disney's Beach Club Villas then stay on-site and enjoy not waiting in lines for your entire stay.

A second vote for the Homewood Suites on Hospitality Way. We stayed there last summer. Very nice and clean. We only stayed for 1 night before checking in to RPH. It was around the corner but I would not recommend trying to walk to Universal. As the previous poster said, the area is very heavily traveled by autos.

I'm trying to find a hotel close to Universal to spend the night after we check out of HRH. Does anyone know if the 1br suites at Homewood has a sleeper sofa in the living room? I don't see a sleeper listed in the room description.

How does Homewood compare with Sleep Inn? I'm assuming that the room at Homewood is bigger and that it is a nicer hotel. We really just want a room to sleep that will fit our family of 5.

I would stay the extra night at HRH, but we need two rooms there and are paying $242/night per room, so I can't afford that (and we won't be going to the parks the next day so don't need the FOTL).

Thanks, T&B

T&B - We are staying the night before we check into the HRH at the Holiday Inn - Universal. It is right across the street from Universal. We got a two bedroom suite with 4 dbl beds and a pullout sofa for $85. We had a one bedroom suite with 2 dbl beds and the sofa for $69, but we decided for $16 we would go with more room. There are five of us also. Those are entertainment rates and I made the reservation on Holiday Inn's website. Date is 5/30, which is Memorial Day weekend, so I'm pretty happy with that rate.

No11'sMom, that sounds like a good rate and lots of room for you. I'll check it out. Thanks!

T&B

I just checked on their site and I was able to get an Entertainment rate of $79.50 + tax. Sounds like a very good rate, especially for a place to only sleep. I'm assuming that breakfast is not included, but that's fine.

I'll do a little reading about the place and then reserve.

Thanks, T&B

My favorite is the Radisson Universal, opposite corner to the Holiday Inn. This hotel will soon be a Doubletree by the way. Paramount travel usually have the rate as $69 + tax. Its the same shuttle as the HI to Universal and also both hotels are on the I ride. I usually walk to the parks and just get a car for a few days at the end of the holiday for shopping and getting to the airport. Its about just over a mile to the entrance of citywalk from both the Rad and HI.

I can get an entertainment rate at Holiday inn Universal for $84.50 for a @ 2 bedroom suite for the end of June. I have 2 rooms booked at PBH for 4 nights. Was thinking canceling the last night at PBH and staying at Holiday Inn Universal. I would still have FOTL on that day so that would not be a problem. I leave for the airport the next morning. The 2 rooms at PBH total $480,for the last night, compared to the $84.50 for Holiday Inn. Holiday Inn does not charge extra for extra people in room, This 2 bedroom suite will sleep up to 10. This is a savings of 395.00. Pretty tempting don't you think? Anyone stayed at this hotel? Thanks for any advice.

IMO the hotel would have to be pretty bad not to justify saving almost $400. I haven't been there, but we have ressies there for our first night in May, and I haven't heard any bad things about it. As long as you are not going to the parks that next day, and don't need the FOTL, I would switch for that last night and use that money on some nice meals, souviners, or to save for the next trip.

Originally posted by TGC
I can get an entertainment rate at Holiday inn Universal for $84.50 for a @ 2 bedroom suite for the end of June. I have 2 rooms booked at PBH for 4 nights. Was thinking canceling the last night at PBH and staying at Holiday Inn Universal. I would still have FOTL on that day so that would not be a problem. I leave for the airport the next morning. The 2 rooms at PBH total $480,for the last night, compared to the $84.50 for Holiday Inn. Holiday Inn does not charge extra for extra people in room, This 2 bedroom suite will sleep up to 10. This is a savings of 395.00. Pretty tempting don't you think? Anyone stayed at this hotel? Thanks for any advice.

That's exactly what I'll be doing. Since we are a family of 6 we really get hit hard since we need to have two rooms at the Universal onsite hotels. We'll stay onsite for 2 nights and then move to the Holiday Inn.

T&B

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter