Off-site transportation to parks

timon 99

Earning My Ears
We have stayed on-site now at Disney four times and have loved it. My sister and her family are planning their first trip to Disney in October and debating about whether to stay on or off site since they have a family of 5 which makes it hard to get one room on site unless they get the Port Orleans trundle bed room. I am concerned about how well the shuttle services to Disney work at the off-site hotels. We have learned how nice it is to hop a bus back to your room for a mid-day break. Would they be able to do this with the shuttle buses (they'd prefer not to rent a car)? Do you have to schedule specific pick-up times with the hotels? Where do you get dropped off - at the TTC and other parking lots? Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated. I want my sister to have a great time. It seems to me staying at Disney would be less stressful for getting around.

We always rent a car and do not rely on the hotel shuttle service so I have never personally experienced them but....

I seem to recall that most of the threads I read are not very complimentary....some hotels charge; at others the bus makes stops along the way and is not direct from your hotel to the parks --or it stops at several parks; I have witnessed very upset people in the lobby of a hotel because the bus was late/didn't come/was full; and at others they have morning and evening pick up only.

I would have them contact the hotel and find out who provides the bus service and then call them directly. Do they pick up at more than one hotel? What is their schedule? Is there a fee--does the driver expect to be tipped? Is it an air conditioned bus or not (some people report buses actually being old school bus type buses wihtout ac).

Check out mousesavers.com for hints on getting a cheap rental car maybe they can afford more than they think.

You sister can solve her problem by renting a car.

You will be in control of your own schedule and don't have to wait for a bus onsite or offsite.

Another thought is reserving a room at the Doubletree suites in dt disney. Room for 5 and their buses run every 30 min or so. They all let you right off at each park except for Magic Kingdom, where you are let off at the TTC.

Also, I thought the cabins at Fort Wilderness slept 5 people.

Herc.

I think it depends where she's staying. I've stayed at the Grosvenor and had excellent transportation. Most of the buses ran every 30 minutes. I think this is true for any of the Downtown Disney resorts.

I've read on the boards about other services not being as frequent.

Carolyn

I stayed at the Nikki Bird and the "free" transportation was pathetic!

Hot buses, filled, always cramped, always late, stopping at more than three resorts even if filled, picking you and dropping you far from the park gates, some even had broken seats, just absolutely pitiful! If you won't stay onsite, rent a car instead.

Wanda

they are 'scheduled' transportations; they are not at your beck and call. We used the buses when we stayed in the Marriott Village and they were 'wonderful'! Comfy, relaxing and Disney movies played. Can't wait to use it again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter