• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Off topic, but I need help - Whistler

sloneta

Mouseketeer
We are DVC-ers who have traded into Club Intrawest-Whistler/Blackcomb for October 12 - 19. I am having difficulty finding information about things to do at that time of year in Whistler. I know the mountains will be closed and that it could be rainy, but what will we be able to do/see? Can anyone help?

Hi, Try these two sites for sure:

www.whistler-blackcomb.com
www.mywhistler.com

last day for golf and gondola rides is Oct. 13 or so (do the gondola ride)
these sites will tell you about festivals , nature trails that lead to lakes, waterfalls, restaurants, etc. and it is fun to spend a couple days walking around the village window shoping and drinking coffee as you people watch.
You can rent bikes quite inexpensively or even go whitewater rafting - if it's open at this time of year. Have fun.

One outing we enjoy when we go in October or November is to go hiking at Cheakamus Lake. It is close to Whistler and gives you an up-close-and-personal look at one of our beautiful B.C. forests. If you can, bring a picnic lunch to enjoy at the lake.

I don't know if you're planning to rent a car, but if you drive a little bit north on the Squamish highway, you'll find Alta Lake. It is a beautiful lake where you can rent canoes (not sure if you still can in Oct., but you can ask at your hotel).

You can go ice-skating, check out the cuisine at one of their fine restaurants, go shopping (some sales, I think, at that time of year before their winter stock comes in), soak at your hotel's hot tub, take a swim, visit the beautiful Chateau Whistler Resort, etc.

Have fun!!!

I had seen those websites and they have great information, just not about October. I guess that is what we get for going in the off season. We will have a rental car, so theoretically we can go anywhere - we just don't know what the "must-dos" are for Whistler when the mountains are closed. Apparently, they close the day we arrive - Oct. 12th.

Another question - it appears that we will be there for Canadian Thanksgiving. Will we have difficulty finding a place to eat dinner? Should we make a reservation now? What is a traditional Thanksgiving meal?

Thanks for all the help.

Canadian Thanksgiving is celebrated much the same as the American. You might want to check out places now to eat. I know places get booked quickly for Easter meals.
Good luck and enjoy your holiday!

A place we like to eat is the informal restaurant connected to the Chateau Whistler Resort Hotel. I think it's called Portobello. It is yummy. My friend who also loves to go there raves about their soups. We've tried it for breakfasts and lunches. Really good.

I'd call and make reservations--better safe than sorry. A traditional thanksgiving feast in our home is turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, wild rice, pumpkin pie, apple pie, anything cranberry, since it's cranberry season coming up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter