Official 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend Thread

I had the same thought. As far as changes go, this one is a pretty minor inconvenience to runners and less likely to get the same backlash at the Tink experiment. And there will be people like me who actually prefer the earlier start.

My main concern for disneyland half would be what if this time change is not the only experiment. What if they have others or are trying to couple this early start time with less to no characters on the course. Also, I don't think the selfie stations were to accommodate people that cannot get in line because they cannot keep pace. I am starting to think its because they want to get these people off the course faster and selfie stations take less time than character stops. I would hate to see less to no character stops and more selfie stations as part of this experiment.

I'm with you guys - love the earlier start and how this could help offset any heat fatigue for the back of the pack corrals.

I'm also okay if they make the characters more selfie stations than lines. I don't stop for pics but I like waving to them as I go by. It's a tough call for Disneyland and anything they can do to keep the magic moving is great. We aren't owed anything so.. :confused3

I'm with you guys - love the earlier start and how this could help offset any heat fatigue for the back of the pack corrals.

I'm also okay if they make the characters more selfie stations than lines. I don't stop for pics but I like waving to them as I go by. It's a tough call for Disneyland and anything they can do to keep the magic moving is great. We aren't owed anything so.. :confused3

I'm with you. I know it is not a popular opinion with a lot of runDisney runners, but the characters are not the most important thing for me personally. I've actually never stopped at a character stop during a race. I like seeing them on the course, but for me, the attraction is actually running through the parks. One of my fav runDisney moments was the the very first Star Wars race when I came through Disneyland at the carousel and it was being 'guarded' by storm troopers. I much prefer those little moments of pixie dust. I do however like the opportunity for a pic with characters post race when you have your medal.

At the end of the day I'd rather make these compromises to be able to ensure the race gets a permit than not be able to do the race at all. But I totally understand that for others, this hits at the core of what they love about these races and must be disappointing for them.

If they dont get the security checkpoint issues from Tink resolved, sounds like you will need to be on property by 3am just to make the 5am start time for the DL half races. blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh #notamorningperson

Last edited:

If they dont get the security checkpoint issues from Tink resolved, sounds like you will need to be on property by 3am just to make the 5am start time for the DL half races. blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh #notamorningperson

I am running Disney for the first time. I'm registered for the double dare. I'm not familiar with security issues. I'm staying at one of the Disney hotels and I'm curious about what time I need to plan to be at my corral. 3:00 seems super early but is that the safest approach?

It's a little bit hyperbole with a bit of truth. It took us nearly 30 mins to get to the corrals for Tink and we almost missed the start of the race. I'd say start heading to the corrals by 4am. That'll give you an hour - bring a race blanket with you and sit on the ground.

For Tinker we had security problems. We came in from Katella the 10k was easy but the half was crazy they would not let us in the security line at the back corrals E&F. They made us go through security up by Disneyland Hotel now we got into Downtown Disney the crowd was massive, found out we had to go through another set of security to get to the corrals. We experienced lots of unhappy people a little pushing happening this was a little scary I realize how a crowd can get out of control. Finally the just had to open the security gate and let people though because we couldn't get to the corrals on time. It took us over an hour to get into our corral and we had to walk all the way back to our corrals. We left on hotel (Anabelles ) at 3:45 . I hope they learned things from Tink !

My main concern for disneyland half would be what if this time change is not the only experiment. What if they have others or are trying to couple this early start time with less to no characters on the course. Also, I don't think the selfie stations were to accommodate people that cannot get in line because they cannot keep pace. I am starting to think its because they want to get these people off the course faster and selfie stations take less time than character stops. I would hate to see less to no character stops and more selfie stations as part of this experiment.

I think they learned their lesson about the no character thing at the 5k thing. Considering the general reaction. And the amount of people who went to the expo after the 5k (which I am guilty of, and to make the point they would lose AP holders to this kind of decision) to complain and it was fixed by the 10k.

I'm still trying to understand how I didn't run into security issues. I got to the Reunion area around 4:30 for Tink and sailed through their security. Though I'll admit since I use the Athletes with Disabilities tent (camera lights of the pre race stuff are a migraine trigger so I get put away from the cameras) so that helped.

Re: character stops on the course - I get that not everyone stops for character pics, but for some of us, it's a huge part of the experience. And I think runDisney knows this, as they even put pictures of runners posing with characters on their own webpage and their social media channels to advertise their races. They are the ones that have made us expect this, so they should deliver - especially when a bunch of us buy PhotoPass to get *real* pictures with characters and on the course. For what they are charging for their races, and based on past experiences most of us have had doing runDisney races, I personally expect a lot from them at this point to justify the cost.

Re: security - timing seemed to be everything for this. On the morning of the 10K, I went to the checkpoint near the back of Paradise Pier hotel and there were 2 bag check tables and 2 security guards wanding us (since no medal detectors). Took about 20 minutes to get through the line. On the morning of the halk, that same line was way bigger, so I went to the DTD checkpoint and breezed through. I must have arrived early enough to beat the big bottleneck. So while I don't think it's necessary to arrive at 3AM, 4AM may be a good idea.

I hope that they learn from what happened at Tink and that things are smoother for all of you!

Last edited:

I think a huge part of the issue was trying to get everyone through that tiny walkway/gate next to Earl of Sandwich. I can't remember but isn't Tink the only race that corrals us up from that direction? I don't recall the others being as bad when we are corralled up on the parking garage side. Hopefully they don't decide to use the same direction as they did for Tink.

I think a huge part of the issue was trying to get everyone through that tiny walkway/gate next to Earl of Sandwich. I can't remember but isn't Tink the only race that corrals us up from that direction? I don't recall the others being as bad when we are corralled up on the parking garage side. Hopefully they don't decide to use the same direction as they did for Tink.

I was stuck in that throng at Earl of Sandwich and was worried about making it to my corral. I did make it but only because the race started late.

i sure hope they have it together by the double dare. I have thoroughly enjoyed the California races but I sure miss the ease of getting to the corrals.

Disney in general is masterful at crowd control and they need to Employ that knowledge here. The number of people flowing through that tiny checkpoint was just not realistic.

I feel you @mrsg00fy - that crowd at Earl of Sandwich was looooooooong. I wonder if having the corrals start out at the intersection of Disneyland Drive and Magic Way will alleviate any crowding issues we faced. There also may be less security lines to go through? I'm seriously considering not bag checking this go around and leaving my stuff in the car - then changing at the car before heading to post-run victory breakfast.

Speaking off... Guuuys. We make food reservations for DLH weekend in about 3 weeks! Time to start thinking about post-race breakfasts and pre-race dinners! :cool1:

I feel you @mrsg00fy - that crowd at Earl of Sandwich was looooooooong. I wonder if having the corrals start out at the intersection of Disneyland Drive and Magic Way will alleviate any crowding issues we faced. There also may be less security lines to go through? I'm seriously considering not bag checking this go around and leaving my stuff in the car - then changing at the car before heading to post-run victory breakfast.

Speaking off... Guuuys. We make food reservations for DLH weekend in about 3 weeks! Time to start thinking about post-race breakfasts and pre-race dinners! :cool1:

I know I want to do breakfast either Sat or Sun at Steakhouse 55, and I want to do Sunday night dinner at Napa Rose - but other than that I am having trouble making up my mind.

What are people's go to breakfast option at DL beside Steakhouse 55? Last time I was thee for a race weekend I did S55 and iHop, but the lining up for the latter after a race was a little painful, so I'd rather do something wh a reservation this time around...

@bellrae - if you like characters, we had a BLAST at Breakfast with Minnie & Friends at the Plaza inside Disneyland. We got a reservation before the park opened and were the first in the restaurant ... and SO many characters with such great interaction! My friend actually had to go buy a second autograph book for her daughter.

Well worth it! And after that, the park was still pretty empty so we got great medal pictures with the castle and Partners Statue!

Hi there I will be running the Double dare challenge, and completing my Coast to Coast as well :)
I did have a question, because this is my first Disneyland race, im from WDW how do they know you are completing Coast to Coast if they did not ask in your original registration like WDW does when you register for one here.

please and thank you :)

Hi there I will be running the Double dare challenge, and completing my Coast to Coast as well :)
I did have a question, because this is my first Disneyland race, im from WDW how do they know you are completing Coast to Coast if they did not ask in your original registration like WDW does when you register for one here.

please and thank you :)

Hi, Rosalind -

The process is automatic -- there's no place to indicate a Coast-to-Coast anymore whether you register for a Disneyland race or a Walt Disney World-based one.

When you go to pick up your bib, there will be a line to initial next to your name indicating that you are doing a Coast-to-Coast and the person working the booth will put a wristband on you that you have to wear until the end of the half on Sunday. If that line isn't there and you ran a half or longer at Walt Disney World this year, go to Runner's Relations and they can clear it up. But in all honesty, they just have the information and have already done the work preparing you for getting your medal before you arrive in almost every case. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Enjoy your races!

74 days out and still no sneak peak at the medals - all of the other races have had theirs well in advance of this timing recently, or am I just getting impatient? (or both! :D)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts