Official 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend Thread

Funny how people differ. I looked at the post and thought "well, at least there's no reason to stand in the official merch line this year". I don't know why rD has decided that "I Did It" shirts weren't enough and now they have to plaster it all over pins and car magnets, too. I used to love the car magnets and they were an automatic buy for me. But the "I Did It" has taken over the motif and become the focal point of the graphics rather than the event itself.

The other thing that bugs me, small as it may be is the insistence on using Monsters University characters. Monsters Inc was far more popular than University, but the characters seem all seem to be presented in their University form now. I love Mike, but the stupid "MU" hat and often braces just kills it for me.

ETA: I do very much like the classic DL shoe ornament, though, and the medal hanger is nice.

Last edited:

So do we think that first black jacket is the preorder jacket?? Also I hope there is way more stuff that's less busy... I like simple and classy... this stuff is mostly busy and cheesy looking.

So do we think that first black jacket is the preorder jacket?? Also I hope there is way more stuff that's less busy... I like simple and classy... this stuff is mostly busy and cheesy looking.

The pre-order jacket is usually a different design that is only available to those who pre-ordered. The items in these posts are available for general purchase.

I'm super jealous of those running this weekend. I'm loving the merch. I've also never seen runDisney do their own medal hanger before.

They had a medal hanger at Tink.

My brain is torn between 'I want a whole bunch of this.' And 'Ehhh not sure what I want.' Only definete things right now are the black DDD tank and the I Did It Shirt (which I was on the fence about but since it's the 5th and I'm legacy I have this want for it), the weird circle thing, and the ornament. Everything else is wait and see at the expo

I am suddenly very glad I'm flying into John Wayne and not LAX.

Funny how people differ. I looked at the post and thought "well, at least there's no reason to stand in the official merch line this year". I don't know why rD has decided that "I Did It" shirts weren't enough and now they have to plaster it all over pins and car magnets, too. I used to love the car magnets and they were an automatic buy for me. But the "I Did It" has taken over the motif and become the focal point of the graphics rather than the event itself.

The other thing that bugs me, small as it may be is the insistence on using Monsters University characters. Monsters Inc was far more popular than University, but the characters seem all seem to be presented in their University form now. I love Mike, but the stupid "MU" hat and often braces just kills it for me.

ETA: I do very much like the classic DL shoe ornament, though, and the medal hanger is nice.

I was kind of meh, too--especially about the gray jacket! I'm so over all the gray they keep doing. It seems like every race I've done lately has been gray. They always seem to do the fun colors for the combo races or the 5k. Oh well. Saves me money :) I do like the black jacket so I hope that isn't pre-order.

Update: I just read the Parks Blog article again and it says that the black zip-up is the pre-order jacket but it would be available for those who didn't pre-order it.

I really like the black jacket as well and I hope that it wasn't the pre-order one.

I am getting so excited y'all!!!!!!! The heat has totally jacked up my training (upper 90s-low 100s) but I have been able to keep my cardio level up with swimming and going out for long runs as soon as the sun comes up on the weekends (going to my local park at night or even dawn, is kinda sketchy).

My costumes are finally coming together and I have nothing to say but glowing things about SparkleSkirts. They did custom arm sleeves for me and made sure I would get everything on time. Their customer service is amazing!!!!!!!! I also got custom arm sleeves for my 10K costume through IGlowRunning's Etsy shop and she did a fantastic job. I will post pictures as soon as everything is finished (I need to paint Mr. Incredible's logo on my tank top). My BFF and I are doing the 5K as Elastigirl and Mr. Incredible (blue original outfit). I will also be running the 10K as Art from Monsters University (fav character!!!!!)

I can't remember - do we have a meetup scheduled?

My heart is saying :sad1:

My bank account is saying :love::worship::yay:.

Yeah that was pretty much my reaction.

On another note I'm starting to think Disney doesn't realize just how much they are setting off West Coast racers. Or if they are do they are underestimating it. Lack of communication on 2018 has gone past the point of frustration now and the to the point of anger for me.

Yeah, I mean - I get what people are frustrated about because I was kind of in that same place too ... not over Light Side, but because of Tink and then how abruptly they shut down registration for DLH Weekend, which after seeing corrals and race capacity we KNOW was not because the race weekend was sold out.

If I had a registration for Light Side, I would be upset because they're just holding my money interest-free without giving me any information. I probably would've gone through RD demanding a regund already or escalated it to my credit card company at this point because it just seems like they're no longer interested in producing that event.

But as for TInk and future DLH Weekends? Obviously, I want them to happen because I want to run them in 2018. But if they don't happen? Yeah, total sad trombone - but it's up to RunDisney to decide whether to offer the weekend or not, so I can't be upset.

I keep asking myself what I'd do if they offered 2018 early registration for runners right after Disneyland Half weekend this year ... would I do it? It's an annual trip for my husband and I and one of our best couple friends, so if the race is happening we're going to be there. But I sure don't want to plunk down race registration fees in advance without concrete information about the race weekend will happen. I'd probably just wait until general registration.

The Dooney thing is interesting...I'm not sure who decides whether a race weekend gets Dooneys. Is it runDisney, or Disney Merchandising? The merchandise preview post was from the merchandise guy, not a runDisney guy, so that makes me think it's the merchandise department that decides.

The Tink and Princess Dooneys pretty much always sell out during the races, and sometimes the Star Wars ones. But the past 2 years, the DLH Dooneys have ended up at the Orlando outlets, significantly marked down after the race weekend (just saw a post on Facebook from someone who picked up the bag and 2 wristlets from 2016's DLH weekend, along with a wristlet from this year's Dark Side race weekend). And there are TONS of non-race Dooneys out right now - the market is crazy-saturated. So maybe that factored into it (just like how I think they have never done a Wine & Dine weekend bag because there's always a Food & Wine festival bag - they must not think they need 2 Food & Wine-like patterns out at the same time).

However...I have never seen a Pixar Dooney, so this is still a head-scratcher for me. I wouldn't have bought one since I'm not participating in this weekend, but I was looking forward to seeing what they would come up with. There's a theory on Facebook that maybe it was an issue with Pixar licensing, like the permission wasn't there? I don't totally get that because I have seen other brands release Pixar bags, so maybe it's just Dooney that doesn't have permission? Who knows. It's all very weird.

I think its kinda sad that there might be a slight "dark cloud" hanging over this race weekend because of the uncertainty regarding next year on the West coast. It makes me scratch my head how a company can be top of the line when it comes to theme parks, entertainment, movies and, marketing... and yet have the people who are over the races appear to be so disorganized at times. (Yes I know its a totally different department/team, but still you think they could be a little more organized.)

So even with that uncertainty I'm excited for the fun that will soon be here. My training is wrapping up and seems to be going well, I've had my dining reservations since the 60 days out mark ;) and my costume is ready to go.

And for any first timers or for anyone who is still getting their costume together I put together a little video of some tips and tricks that have helped me with runDisney costumes over the past few years. I'm sure many of you could have added some other great insights, but these are some things I've found that help.

Excited to see many of you on the race courses and in the parks in under 10 days!

However...I have never seen a Pixar Dooney, so this is still a head-scratcher for me. I wouldn't have bought one since I'm not participating in this weekend, but I was looking forward to seeing what they would come up with. There's a theory on Facebook that maybe it was an issue with Pixar licensing, like the permission wasn't there? I don't totally get that because I have seen other brands release Pixar bags, so maybe it's just Dooney that doesn't have permission? Who knows. It's all very weird.

I completely agree - there are a bunch of Dooneys out right now and they seem like they are releasing a princess line as well right now (Tiana and now Snow White) but I would have thought Pixar would have been unique enough theme that it would have been a given to have that produced. I saw that theory on one of the RD FB groups as well. Not knowing very much how merchandising rights work between multiple companies, I would have thought it was easily done because Dooney and Disney already have an agreement and Pixar pretty much is run by Disney at this point (not like how it was when Steve Jobs was still there and it was a partnership with Disney). Who knows though - I do think they missed out a on a major money grab from all of us though. :confused3

I completely agree - there are a bunch of Dooneys out right now and they seem like they are releasing a princess line as well right now (Tiana and now Snow White) but I would have thought Pixar would have been unique enough theme that it would have been a given to have that produced. I saw that theory on one of the RD FB groups as well. Not knowing very much how merchandising rights work between multiple companies, I would have thought it was easily done because Dooney and Disney already have an agreement and Pixar pretty much is run by Disney at this point (not like how it was when Steve Jobs was still there and it was a partnership with Disney). Who knows though - I do think they missed out a on a major money grab from all of us though. :confused3
Yeah, it's too bad for anyone who was looking forward to getting a bag. I totally understand the disappointment. :(

There's a theory on Facebook that maybe it was an issue with Pixar licensing, like the permission wasn't there? I don't totally get that because I have seen other brands release Pixar bags, so maybe it's just Dooney that doesn't have permission? Who knows. It's all very weird.

I think this is it 100-percent.

They keep mentioning the gal from Pixar that oversaw the design of the medals and the merch ... we never get a name of the artist behind other race weekend medals and things ...

I'm guessing that either Pixar didn't want Disney to get a cut of profit off of using their licensed artwork for an exclusive item, Pixar doesn't have a direct agreement with Dooney for accessories or Pixar has an exclusivity agreement with a competitor to Dooney which would prohibit them from being able to allow Dooney to create an exclusive item with the licensed artwork.

I think this is it 100-percent.

They keep mentioning the gal from Pixar that oversaw the design of the medals and the merch ... we never get a name of the artist behind other race weekend medals and things ...

I'm guessing that either Pixar didn't want Disney to get a cut of profit off of using their licensed artwork for an exclusive item, Pixar doesn't have a direct agreement with Dooney for accessories or Pixar has an exclusivity agreement with a competitor to Dooney which would prohibit them from being able to allow Dooney to create an exclusive item with the licensed artwork.
Yeah, I don't get it - especially since a Toy Story collection was just released in Japan from Samantha Thavasa: http://www.disneyfashionista.com/new-toy-story-handbag-collection-released-japan/

Loungefly has done them too. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter