Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Officially contemplating running this weekend...
You should!!
I've ran both years and while the first year did have some issues... (*cough* course congestion *cough*) the second year was great!
Just one question. How does it fit with your school schedule?

You should!!
I've ran both years and while the first year did have some issues... (*cough* course congestion *cough*) the second year was great!
Just one question. How does it fit with your school schedule?
Well I would just run the half. Come down Friday night, expo Saturday, run Sunday, fly home Sunday night.

Officially contemplating running this weekend...
Dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiit... the Force demands it. But beware - anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Also cool medals, awesome interaction with the 501st, and pics at the start/finish. Alas, no cookies. ;)

This is going to be my first challenge, I've been doing half marathons for the past 3 years (Princess, Wine & Dine before they changed it to a morning race :mad: and Dark Side). I signed up for this as soon as I got the email for running this year and quickly decided to do the Challenge just for the Kessel Run without even checking the Light Side race :sad2:. I'm truly staying positive about this whole ordeal because I really want my Kessel Run medal!!!
Anywhoo, anyone have any advice or tips on what to do after the 10k/before the half so that I can actually finish the half and not die half way through?

Anywhoo, anyone have any advice or tips on what to do after the 10k/before the half so that I can actually finish the half and not die half way through?
In my experience, it's the training that will get you through the challenge! Those back-to-back training runs will give you all you need, including the knowledge of what you need in between races. I know lots of folks who can hit the parks between and have no problems, while I do best with lots of down time. "Nothing New on Race Day" holds true for challenges, too, so see what works (or doesn't) in training, and try to replicate what's worked over race weekend.

@1mena7 Yes, absolutely training, but don't overlook having a good recovery plan. Test it. Some people can just stretch and they're fine. I'm an endurance athlete and I know from experience that I need to take glucosamine in the days before and the day after long races, and my favorite amino acid after each race speeds recovery. For just a normal 10K I don't need an ice bath but I do it anyway during a challenge series to keep my legs fresh for the next day. My ice bath is just sitting in iced or really cold water for 5-10 minutes. If I'm really sore, I'll soak in warm water with epsom salt, usually this is a post-final-race activity. (Epsom salt will break up accumulations of lactic acid sitting in your muscles.) I will also typically use calf compression sleeves for any segment that is a half marathon or longer. The foam roller and The Stick are my best friends. So is walking as much as possible following long races to keep blood flowing and muscles warm.

You don't need to do or try any of this, I'm just providing you with an example of my routine as things to think about as you develop your own plan and discover what works for you.

I'm in the same boat regarding LS. Hopefully we get some resolution soon!!! Practice training and recovering and you're going to do awesome. :)

@PrincessV Thanks for the advice!!! :)

@AerialGael Thanks for the tips!! I was wondering wether ice baths and the rollers were good for this but after reading your post I think I'm going to try it!! And I really hope Light Side goes through because I found a super cheap package and went for it. If it doesn't then still, Disneyland here I come! lol

Joining this party late... my sister and I just signed up for the Challenge! :) We did it last year, and weren't planning on this year. But... I'm on our annual family summer trip (DH, DD10, DS12) right now, and after a few days of tween drama being interjected into this trip, I decided a sisters-only trip was in order! :D

I'm getting started running after taking a decade off. I wanted to do the 5k and 10k but the 10k is currently sold out. Does anyone know how likely it is that more spots will be available in the future?

I'm getting started running after taking a decade off. I wanted to do the 5k and 10k but the 10k is currently sold out. Does anyone know how likely it is that more spots will be available in the future?

It's highly unlikely that they will make more 10k spots available unless the challenge sales simply don't go well at all. They will, on occasion, split remaining challenge slots into individual 10k and half bibs. I think you're going to be much more likely to find a spot going through a travel agent or charity vs waiting and hoping for challenge split.

Few questions.
-Do they store bags/items for you?
-Where does the race start and finish?

Debating whether to stay on site or off site.

Few questions.

They do! This year was my first time checking stuff since I went alone and put money my wallet, basically my life in there and it all was there at the end.
If you have a car then you're fine staying off site. That's what I always do. I stay at the Baymont Inn and Suites in Celebration. Nothing fancy but the beds are comfy and I'm only there to sleep and shower so it's perfect for me. And it's right around the corner from the main Disney road.

@Ariel484, are you sure you have the right course? I thought Dark Side started across from Poly and finished at Epcot.

View attachment 264369

@Ariel484 posted the course from Year 1 of SWDS
@FFigawi posted the course from Year 2 of SWDS

By all accounts, Year 2 seemed to go much more smoothly and was a much better received course with fewer bottlenecks. Who knows with rD these days, but I'd lean towards them staying with the Year 2 course for the next SWDS race weekend.

Few questions.

We gear bag checked this year (2017). At the start at TTC they put them all in carts/trucks and then they transported them to the finish at Epcot where they are in tents for pickup. Easy and painless.

If you are offsite and drive - People who drove this year had to park at EPCOT and then were shuttled to the TTC for the start. So, then when you finished at Epcot your car was there. Parking was only at Epcot. Read it went smoothly as well for drivers (unlike year 1 where it finished at ESPN & started at Epcot, so doubt they go back to that course).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!