Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

I did the Challenge + 5K alone last year and it was a wonderful experience! I was less stressed than having to worry about what other people needed to be successful that day. I made and worked my plan at my own pace. I would do it again alone in a heartbeat if any of my peeps bails on me.

I never try to run with others, if we meet up on the course periodically then so be it, but I focus on my own race. If I'm travelling with anyone else, I always pick people who are like-minded. Sometimes we spend time together, sometimes we don't, but we focus on our own success. So much less stressful than the "does everyone want to do this activity", etc.

I'm not a runner and was only going to do the 5K, but a buddy pushed me to go big or go home!

Careful, this is how I got started and now I'm ready to do my 6th Half and my 1st Challenge at Avengers.:rotfl2:

I booked at an All Star (Sports I think?) for the weekend.

I love Sports. We stay there every time we go to WDW, not just the races. I've stayed at every Disney resort, but AS Sports is my jam. :rockband:

This year was sooo much better. The transport from Epcot to starting line was super fast and having your car there at the end was so nice. Last year I had to wait more than 30 minutes in line to catch the shuttle back to my car at the end. My legs were killing me.

2017 was such a HUGE improvement on the Dark Side race. 2016 was so bad, I was VERY hesitant to ever run another east coast race. Thank goodness they actually listened to Feedback.

First timer here... I'm running the 5K with my 4 young children. I know they will be ready for a good breakfast once they are done! We are thinking of taking the ferry to Beach Club and eating at Cape May for the Minnie Mouse breakfast. What time would be good for reservations????

First timer here... I'm running the 5K with my 4 young children. I know they will be ready for a good breakfast once they are done! We are thinking of taking the ferry to Beach Club and eating at Cape May for the Minnie Mouse breakfast. What time would be good for reservations????
This would not be possible, as the boats from EP to the Beach Club only run from the International Gateway: the park would need to be open, and you'd need to have a park ticket to enter, in order for you to walk form the finish to the International Gateway. The race starts at 6am, so EP will not be open when you finish. You CAN however take a bus from the finish to the Beach Club.

This would not be possible, as the boats from EP to the Beach Club only run from the International Gateway: the park would need to be open, and you'd need to have a park ticket to enter, in order for you to walk form the finish to the International Gateway. The race starts at 6am, so EP will not be open when you finish. You CAN however take a bus from the finish to the Beach Club.
Thanks PrincessV!

What time would suggest for catching a bus at the finish line??
We may consider Garden Grill instead - the kids would love Chip 'n Dale. It looks like they take reservations at 8am even when park opens at 9. Just don't want ADR too early.

Thanks PrincessV!

What time would suggest for catching a bus at the finish line??
We may consider Garden Grill instead - the kids would love Chip 'n Dale. It looks like they take reservations at 8am even when park opens at 9. Just don't want ADR too early.
I never make ADRs after races, so I'm not the best to answer! But it'll depend mostly on when you start and how fast you finish. Say you don't start until 7am and run it in 1:30:00... that would put you finishing at 8:30am, plus another 15 minutes or so for finish pics, food, water, etc. So say 8:45am as the latest you'd be at the race buses.

First time doing a Disney half, I feel biggest challenge is getting to corral. When do they officially announce race course? I am currently booked at Polynesian figuring I could walk to start point if it's at TTC.

Also how is transportation back to resorts after, buses, or monorail.
Thanks in advance
Jim

First time doing a Disney half, I feel biggest challenge is getting to corral. When do they officially announce race course? I am currently booked at Polynesian figuring I could walk to start point if it's at TTC.

If the course is the same as this year, you will have an easy walk to the start. The finish was Epcot this year so the monorail is probably your best bet to get back (just get off at TTC and walk to Poly). There will probably be a bus too.

But - the previous year the start was Epcot and finish was ESPN so who knows! FWIW I really preferred the course this year.

Thanks in advance
Jim
Last year, people were able to walk from the Poly, but reported that it was a LONG, confusing walk, dark, and not well-marked. Buses are plentiful and easy. I don't recommend waiting until the last minute to board, as the increases chances of delay and traffic issues. I can't speak to the monorail, as I've not stayed at a monorail resort for a race. I think it only runs for certain races at certain times, but the official race guide will detail that information. That guide won't be out until a few weeks before the race, and that's where the course maps will be, too.

Hey all. Anybody going down solo and maybe looking to share a room? My dates are flexible (I'm doing the half). I haven't booked travel yet but I was thinking that I'd fly down on Friday and leave Monday or Tuesday. PM me if that is your preference. :)

Well as luck would have it, I'll be there on a girls' trip this weekend and I think I may just have to jump in on the half! I'd like to do the challenge but I am not down with waking up early two days in a row while my girlfriend's get to sleep in.

Since my originally planned Light Side isn't happening, I'm pretty excited!

so with Halloween coming has anyone else started getting their costume/outfit for the run together? I figure now is a good time to find things. I am going as BB8 & my friend is thinking she'll be R2D2.

I'm not going crazy (some of the costumes I've seen people wearing are REALLY good), but I'll have some fun with it! I found a cute BB8 skirt on Ebay last week.

I already have a blue tech skort so I plan to try to DIY an R2D2 costume top do work it into a Han disneybound style costume

May buy or make a black skort and do Vader or BB9E for my other race

so with Halloween coming has anyone else started getting their costume/outfit for the run together? I figure now is a good time to find things. I am going as BB8 & my friend is thinking she'll be R2D2.

I'm not going crazy (some of the costumes I've seen people wearing are REALLY good), but I'll have some fun with it! I found a cute BB8 skirt on Ebay last week.

I'll just issue my usual caution to all considering costumes: FL in late April is HOT. We still think of it as "Spring" because much worse is yet to come, but it's the equivalent of summer in other parts of the country. Plan accordingly! :thumbsup2

I'll just issue my usual caution to all considering costumes: FL in late April is HOT. We still think of it as "Spring" because much worse is yet to come, but it's the equivalent of summer in other parts of the country. Plan accordingly! :thumbsup2

Good point. Alright then, I've changed my mind. I'm gonna dress like Leia when she was being held captive by Jabba the Hutt.

I am officially giving up on the "Light Side" and moving over to the "Dark Side"! My wife and I did the inaugural Rebel Challenge in 2015 and received our C2C's that year at Wine and Dine. In 2016 we conquered the Disney Marathon and Castaway Challenge. 2017 we completed the Unofficial 20th anniversary half by circling Disney Springs, Saratoga Springs resort and old Key west for 13.1 miles. For 2018 I wanted to get back to Disneyland so I figured may as well get a "kessel run" medal so I registered for the dark side since the Light side was delayed! Well, we all know where that stands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!