Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

they would be using the "last chance" to run in DL to sell avengers if they knew. Or any race weekend. (Like even if it's not light side) like they did with Osborne lights. Makes me think they actually DONT know yet.

At first, this seems logical. Then I think about something like Star Wars Weekends. There was no "last chance!" on that even though they surely knew or were pretty darn sure. I am more inclined to think they know for the near future but don't want to totally shut it down for (maybe several) years down the road.

Either way, it's shameful to be holding on to early registration money. Sadly, in the grand scheme, a huge company with worldwide operations can get away with such behavior with little more than a blip on the customer service radar. In the end, I hope everyone who has paid gets back every dime. None of this partial or transfer nonsense.

Either way, it's shameful to be holding on to early registration money. Sadly, in the grand scheme, a huge company with worldwide operations can get away with such behavior with little more than a blip on the customer service radar. In the end, I hope everyone who has paid gets back every dime. None of this partial or transfer nonsense.

I'm sure they'll refund with interest. :rolleyes1

I had pretty much decided to sign up during the early offer but lost track of the date so missed it. Thank goodness.

At first, this seems logical. Then I think about something like Star Wars Weekends. There was no "last chance!" on that even though they surely knew or were pretty darn sure. I am more inclined to think they know for the near future but don't want to totally shut it down for (maybe several) years down the road.

Actually this supports my theory because I think that with Star Wars Weekends, they had a pretty good idea that more and more Star Wars stuff was coming to replace it which while definitely not the same as SWW, would somewhat mollify Star wars fans. So perhaps they aren't looking to fully cancel all DL races and are trying to figure out what the new offering will be. Because otherwise why would they be keeping quiet? It's not so they can hold onto a few dollars from the early registrations. It's pretty clear that they won't have this particular race weekend because it's getting too near to the actual race date. They aren't going to just say nothing. So my new guess is that they are going to hold some sort of running event in 2018, but they don't know what yet.

I'm going to hang my hope on that, at least for the time being.

Just checking in here for any updates- was just on the runDisney site trying to click on the event tab. It won't route over to the page and just reloads the main page. Anyone experiencing the same? Also, a couple times the events tab only showed the current races available and none of the upcoming DLR races for 2018. Making me sad if it's any indication....:guilty:

From the runDisney blog:

We have heard from many of you over the past few months regarding registration for runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our runDisney race events and want to share the following update with you.

Given the level of construction to support the ongoing Disneyland Resort expansion, we have been working hard to determine how we can continue providing our West Coast participants with the best possible runDisney experience, which is designed around the ability to run throughout our resorts while enjoying entertainment offerings and characters.

After careful consideration and weighing all possibilities, we have made the very difficult decision to place all runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort on hiatus beginning in 2018. This includes the associated Coast to Coast Race Challenges.

Anyone who has registered for one of these races will be contacted directly by runDisney today by email and will receive a full refund for registration fees and for any commemorative items they may have purchased.

While news of this hiatus is sad to share, we are so thankful for the magic and memories you have helped create at our race weekends through the years. We look forward to hosting the upcoming Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland Resort November 9-12, and we hope to see many of you there.

We encourage runners to continue to visit runDisney.com for other race opportunities. A full schedule of races at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Paris are currently still being offered, in addition to our virtual race series. Guests with questions can contact rundisney@disneysports.com.

That first line is so bogus -- where is the announcement from runDisney??
I literally just got my email about the refund at the same time as your message came through. So disappointed but not unexpected. I'm *so* glad my friend Calfan encouraged me to do a last minute registration for DS last year to get the Kessel Run in case this race didn't happen.

Yeah, I just got my email as well. And ironically, I got mine from the travel agent I'm signed up through for Wine & Dine.

I TOO am so upset about this. And I wish that I had screen captured anything about a Coast-to-Coast 2018 because I seriously would not have signed up for Princess 2018 without a DL race to do. I really don't understand why they couldn't phase this out. For example, announce in late 2016 that the 2017 races would be the last to give people a chance to run them and plan accordingly. Even just announcing last spring would have given people a chance perhaps to run Tink or Disneyland or Avengers in 2017 to get the Coast to coast if they wanted. I know I would have.

I would especially mad if I were working on an Avenger Infinity Stone medal collection.

Welp, hopefully participants like @Dis_Yoda and others can get their money back now.

Not surprised, but after 2018 Dopey Challenge I'm done with Disney races. I'll be throwing into the Castle to Chateau medal and call it quits. No need to run in Florida.

This sucks for folks who bought flights on airlines other than SW and those that have non-refundable hotel rooms they are now stuck with.

We've done Coast to Coast the past 2 years, and the Kessel Challenge the past 2 years. 5 Disney weekends in total(2 west, 3 Florida).

As of now we have nothing planned for 2018 but was considering Avengers, this decision will likely solidify the decision to keep it at nothing.

I'm ver dissapointed but kinda knew something like this was coming. I did expect them to keep just the DLH or something out there. cancelling all of them was more then I expected.

They didn't announce sooner because they didn't know it was going to come to this. Honestly, I'll be surprised if the races ever come back.

Welp, hopefully participants like @Dis_Yoda and others can get their money back now.

Not surprised, but after 2018 Dopey Challenge I'm done with Disney races. I'll be throwing into the Castle to Chateau medal and call it quits. No need to run in Florida.

Maybe thats why they told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks for me to get my refund! They were waiting for this announcement!

It would seem they are blaming the construction at DL for why they aren't having any rD events next year - hopefully that means that once construction is done they will all come back but who knows. Very disappointed that rD let it go this long before they cancelled officially, and feel really bad for all of those who had booked flights and hotel rooms in anticipation of running. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter