Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

The original Disneyland Half was announced with the 50 correct? Maybe they'll aim to have one back in time for 65th?

DAMMIT! I wouldn't have signed up for Dark Side next year if I'd known this! I WANT MY KESSEL RUN DAMMIT!

there have been reports of people getting registration back from the east coast races that were part of the challenge medals. Not sure if this is just people that had already signed up for light side, or not, but worth a try to contact Disney to get a refund if you want

Definitely not unexpected, but sad to finally know for sure they are cancelled. I'm a little skeptical of it all being due to just construction, but what do I know? Here's hoping they bring them back in some form in 2019 or afterwards. It's going to be a little weird not having a chance to get a coast to coast medal after completing it for the last 3 years and 2 Kessel Runs. Oh well.

And I wish that I had screen captured anything about a Coast-to-Coast 2018 because I seriously would not have signed up for Princess 2018 without a DL race to do.

Oh I wish you had, too. Though someone on the westcoast thread said she was refunded for Princess a few weeks ago after a rep hinted that Tink wasn't happening.

No need to run in Florida.

Seriously! Who *wants* to do that? (OK wait I still kinda want to do cocoa beach with the Jeannie bottle medals)

there have been reports of people getting registration back from the east coast races that were part of the challenge medals. Not sure if this is just people that had already signed up for light side, or not, but worth a try to contact Disney to get a refund if you want

Unfortunately I've also booked DVC and have family who lives in Florida doing the races with me. So, I'm in for Dark Side whether I want to be or not. It just makes me sad as the whole reason I got into runDisney (and running, period) was the Kessel Run medal. Maybe they'll give me a way to get it (or something like it) since this is the only SW themed race next year?

THIS. This is what I have an issue with. They let us make plans and spend money for 8 months when all the signs were there that they were not sure it would go ahead. This is why Dopey will be my last runDinsey race for some time, if not for good.

You and I are very similar... the only reason why I'm doing Disney Paris is for the Castle to Chateau medal and I'm already going to be out there for the berlin marathon. Figure the disneyland paris half will be a nice recovery run. Don't need to do all of the challenges.

But I have no other interest in the Disney World races. April is too hot, Princess is too crowded with a slower running field, and Wine and Dine is no longer a night race.

You and I are very similar... the only reason why I'm doing Disney Paris is for the Castle to Chateau medal and I'm already going to be out there for the berlin marathon. Figure the disneyland paris half will be a nice recovery run. Don't need to do all of the challenges.

But I have no other interest in the Disney World races. April is too hot, Princess is too crowded with a slower running field, and Wine and Dine is no longer a night race.

Berlin marathon! That will be amazing!!!

I'm actually one of those people (because I am from soooooo far away) that only goes to the parks on a race weekend. I'm not a huge fan of DL (would much rather go to WDW) so This will basically count me out as a visitor to that part and those hotels for the forseeable future.

Sad, that they sat on this information for nearly 8 months.

So you really think they knew that they wouldn't be running the race weekend 8 months ago and sat on that information while taking a huge social media beating? It seems far more likely to me that they've been trying to figure out some way, any way, to make it happen and the clock ran out on them without a workable solution. It's disappointing that this was the endgame but I have a hard time seeing a reason for them to sit on this. They probably could have fully sold out Tink, DLH and Avengers if they'd announced earlier and that would've been far more beneficial than the interest they gained from limited early registration fees...

So you really think they knew that they wouldn't be running the race weekend 8 months ago and sat on that information while taking a huge social media beating? It seems far more likely to me that they've been trying to figure out some way, any way, to make it happen and the clock ran out on them without a workable solution. It's disappointing that this was the endgame but I have a hard time seeing a reason for them to sit on this. They probably could have fully sold out Tink, DLH and Avengers if they'd announced earlier and that would've been far more beneficial than the interest they gained from limited early registration fees...

It is fair to say though that they knew there was a chance this would happen for the past 8 months and that the way that they promoted the events on social media and were silent on updates gave people a false sense of security when they knew there was a good chance this could be the outcome.

Those of us that live here!

Well, you *have to* run there. :) When my mom loved in Miami I ran there, too. But wanting to???

So you really think they knew that they wouldn't be running the race weekend 8 months ago and sat on that information while taking a huge social media beating?

The moment they didn't do ap/dvc registration for lightside they knew. The moment they didn't do general registration for it most of us knew. They knew. And they really knew when they let think registrations pass on by.

In two years we'll all know why, no doubt. That's how they work. They had mde and MBs in mind when they started breaking their website. Etc. but yeah, they had to have known.

I think it was typical Disney. They knew about light side but may not have known the whole future of all 2018 races and the big game plan. I think to cancel all races at DL for the foreseeable future may not have been given the ok by the "person in charge" until recently. Disney will not announce one thing without the whole game plan announced. Had they said "no light side" months ago, then the next question would be "what about tink" then "what about Disney land"... Disney only shows their whole hand of cards when they are completely ready and have the story completely "straight" that they are going to announce. Yes they have known light side wasn't happening and they also have known about the "construction" for well over a year. Light side just got stuck as the first cancelled race....
I frankly really feel for the people who bought plane tickets, prepaid hotels, park tix/AP's, and registered for WDW races for challenges. I will call this morning and cancel my DVC reservation I went online at 11 months at 8am to get. I will tell my family who was coming with us to watch my daughter that they no longer need to come... I think runDisney's lack of information on light side is and was deplorable.

Woke up this morning to a refund receipt from Active for race fees, merchandise and fees.
Nothing else?? No % off for a future race? No help getting into another race at WDW?? Sad... Here is your money back that we had for 8 months, now go away.

Luckily, all I am out right now is very discounted airfare. BUT! I am also signed up for darkside. No Kessel run medal for me.

Nothing else?? No % off for a future race? No help getting into another race at WDW?? Sad... Here is your money back that we had for 8 months, now go away.

No they didn't offer that. We're already signed up for Princess & Darkside weekend (10K for me, Challenge for husband) My husband is also already signed up for the Marathon at WDW.

St Jude Half Marathon in December is probably my last half marathon with Light Side being done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!