Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

I just found out it was cancelled!
I had already booked flight, hotel and car but last month decided to just give up and plan the trip around Disneyland (obviously), San Diego and San Luis de Obispo.
I really wanted to have my Kessel Run medal but alas, I'll settle for my first ever Challenge medal with SWDS.

Man.. even though I had already decided to pull chocks, I'm still bummed to hear it's cancelled entirely. I'm signed up for Avengers next month and find myself not really wanting to do it now. But if it's the last chance to get a C2C for a while guess I should just suck it up and run. :/

Man.. even though I had already decided to pull chocks, I'm still bummed to hear it's cancelled entirely. I'm signed up for Avengers next month and find myself not really wanting to do it now. But if it's the last chance to get a C2C for a while guess I should just suck it up and run. :/

You'll get to be able to say you ran the last rundisney race at DLR.

I find myself wishing the opposite, that I would love to have the funds to run it, as I've not done one at disneyland.

Wow - pretty cool of that guy to give honest answers like that. Read through most of it, I didn't realize that rD and Disney were so separate - wasn't sure if that is just a west coast thing or at WDW too?

I also didn't realize the magnitude of the construction going on in and around DL - it sounds like it will take a few years so races could be on hold at DL for quite some time.

Wow - pretty cool of that guy to give honest answers like that. Read through most of it, I didn't realize that rD and Disney were so separate - wasn't sure if that is just a west coast thing or at WDW too?

I also didn't realize the magnitude of the construction going on in and around DL - it sounds like it will take a few years so races could be on hold at DL for quite some time.
I had same thoughts. Seemed like a great guy and really appreciated his candor after the horrible communication from rd the past 9 months.

Well, on the plus side, our DVC waitlist for the Grand Californian villas for what would have been Light Side weekend came through this morning. We were planning to go that weekend even without the race to get another use out of our APs before they expire. I’d still rather have the race, but I’m sure our waitlist clearing is all about cancellations because of the race cancellation.

I'm glad we decided to do the Avengers this year; it was the one we had never done previously, and may never be able to do again. Also glad Disney gave all the AP holders this year an extra 30 days on their passes - it saved me from needing to buy park tickets for the Avengers this weekend. And I now know I will not need to renew the AP.

As an aside, wasn't the excuse for cancelling the Tower of Terror 10 Miler construction? I don't recall. But that one is never coming back.:sad:

Seriously! Who *wants* to do that? (OK wait I still kinda want to do cocoa beach with the Jeannie bottle medals)

Um, those of us in the North? Running in Florida after training in upstate NY winter , with -10 degree wind chill ,was bliss, I tell you, bliss.

I would like to remind everyone that I was jokingly responding to someone else commenting on running in Florida.

And then I immediately mentioned at least one more run I would like to do (should I ever be able to freakin' run again).

Can we please stop singling out a joking comment made in response to a joking comment???

I would like to remind everyone that I was jokingly responding to someone else commenting on running in Florida.

And then I immediately mentioned at least one more run I would like to do (should I ever be able to freakin' run again).

Can we please stop singling out a joking comment made in response to a joking comment???

But its the internet...we enjoy doing such things! ;)

All of my refunds have finally hit my Chase account. The pre-order merch refunds hit first, but the registration fees just hit as well. Almost $900 in refunds altogether. I'd still rather have the race! In case anyone was wondering, the refunds include all of the Active fees, which is as it should be.

So I guess now that the new hotel has been announced it sort of makes sense why construction really is a huge factor in canceling the races. Looks like the entire west end of DTD and the area where the races have started will be a big construction zone for the next two years. I’m afraid if and when the races ever do come back, I’ll be out of my running “phase.” So glad I got to do the two I did this year. We also will not be renewing our APs since the only reason we got them in the first place was to come back to run races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter