OFFICIAL 2020 Free Dining WATCH Thread - FREE DINING No Longer Available. First Post Updated with Details

Based on our experience last year, one alcoholic drink was included with your QS meal. We went to Polite Pig, and I got a Grapefruit Margarita ($11) Hubby got Ravenous Pig Five Points IPA ($9) and our older son got the Baby Back ribs ($23). All were included! I don't *think* they restrict your choices, other than you cannot get a pitcher for yourself lmao.. We found that it was an excellent use of QS credit. If you look at the menus before you go and plan a little, you can definitely eat and drink very, very well!
We always do Deluxe so the same rules may not apply, but in regards to pricing, we have been told at several locations we couldn't get anything over $16 without an upcharge.

I've found availability at AoA for the dates I'd like, but I'd prefer to be at Music or Sports. What are the odds that a room would open up at one of these two resorts? I'm looking at 09/01-09/08, so I've got a pretty long leadtime to try and downgrade and save $2K. Anybody know?

Also, Touringplans.com is showing predicted crowd levels of ~1 during these dates, but Labor Day falls on 09/07, so I'm a little skeptical that the crowd levels are accurate. Any insight? I've been to DLR several times but haven't been to WDW since I was a child.

Thanks!

I've found availability at AoA for the dates I'd like, but I'd prefer to be at Music or Sports. What are the odds that a room would open up at one of these two resorts? I'm looking at 09/01-09/08, so I've got a pretty long leadtime to try and downgrade and save $2K. Anybody know?

Also, Touringplans.com is showing predicted crowd levels of ~1 during these dates, but Labor Day falls on 09/07, so I'm a little skeptical that the crowd levels are accurate. Any insight? I've been to DLR several times but haven't been to WDW since I was a child.

Thanks!
That's what I was hoping for also. There was a ton of availability until yesterday when they came out with the new room discount, now nothing for free dining. I am not that hopeful, honestly. But, fingers crossed. Last year Labor Day wasn't predicted to be too busy and then the hurricane scared everyone away, so the parks were super slow. It was the best trip, honestly.

That's what I was hoping for also. There was a ton of availability until yesterday when they came out with the new room discount, now nothing for free dining. I am not that hopeful, honestly. But, fingers crossed. Last year Labor Day wasn't predicted to be too busy and then the hurricane scared everyone away, so the parks were super slow. It was the best trip, honestly.

Nice to know the crowds may actually be as low as predicted. We don't mind the heat. (We live in Texas.)

The suites at AoA are adorable, and having a separate bedroom would be fab. And the gondola looks superfun. But we'd be juuust fine in Music for $2K less. ;) I'll probably pull the trigger and reserve AoA just to have a spot reserved and then see what I can find cheaper between now and the stay.

Thanks for your insight!

Thanks!
Have you considered all star sports with the Sun and Fun room offer? Because you are getting a room discount and if you don’t need the park hopper option, you can save like $1,300 (with the quick Service option) for a family of 4.

I was hoping for free dining but it is looking like we will be able to get because of the very limited dates. We have to work around my kids and my moms (teacher) school schedule and my steps dads schedule for his work (just working around other PTO's). I am excited that we were able to get a room only discount at SSR. we decided to get a 2 bedroom and all be in the same place. I am so excited. Now to figure out what we will be doing dining wise without a dining plan. It is also tricky since my mom can't have gluten. I can't wait to go.

I think that’s it for August, but you never know. I do think some additional dates may be added from Sept. - Dec.

Agreed. I just checked back to the post I made when additional free dining dates were released last year, the dates were all from September through December (with zero dates in October)

The date of the second release for these dates was July 16th - in the very wee hours of the morning.

With the new room only discount, if I booked free dining for kids promo and now want to change to the new promo, can I modify that online in my account, or do I have to call?

With the new room only discount, if I booked free dining for kids promo and now want to change to the new promo, can I modify that online in my account, or do I have to call?
Try and see what it will let you do. Did you book the first one online or call in? Do you have a modify button?

Try online, I was able to modify online twice

I was really hoping this wouldn’t be the case since we have to travel in early August. Kind of a bummer.

Oh wow I am a complete noob at Disney. But I want to take a family of 4 on a week long trip this year, and I got this email about the free dining plan.

Looks like the value on a 7 night stay for family of 4 is $1,800? I tried to value it by pricing it with the offer and without the offer, then adding the dining plan afterwards. The dates aren't ideal for me, and I prefer doing a lot of research to just jumping on something like this on short notice.

For the veterans out there - am I truly going to pay almost $2k more for a dining plan if I wait a couple of months to book my trip for the 2nd half of this year?

It's looking like I might end up having to do a split stay. By some miracle (I say this because I check the free dining hotels all day and night) I was able to score 7 of the 10 nights I need at ASM last week.
Oh wow I am a complete noob at Disney. But I want to take a family of 4 on a week long trip this year, and I got this email about the free dining plan.

Looks like the value on a 7 night stay for family of 4 is $1,800? I tried to value it by pricing it with the offer and without the offer, then adding the dining plan afterwards. The dates aren't ideal for me, and I prefer doing a lot of research to just jumping on something like this on short notice.

For the veterans out there - am I truly going to pay almost $2k more for a dining plan if I wait a couple of months to book my trip for the 2nd half of this year?

The dining plan can be pricey, we love the free dining promos. I think other factors come to play, as in which hotel you want to stay at, whether or not you are going with the quick service plan or upgrading to the other dining plans, what ages are your kids, etc... The Disney dining plan is $78.01 per night for ages 10 and up and the quick service plan is $55 a night for ages 10 and up. So assuming your kids are over 10, it would be over $2,000 to add the regular dining plan or $1,500 for the quick service plan. Also, depending on where you want to eat, it might be beneficial for you to pay out of pocket for meals instead of going with the dining plan.

What will be the ages of your children when you travel?

The current promotion will be over in a few days. At this point, if you can book fd for dates that might work out for you, just book it. You can always cancel if you decide it’s not really worth it.

So many factors come into play. We generally pay out of pocket instead of using the dining plan. My husband likes the feel of an all inclusive stay. I knew since we are staying at a moderate that a room discount wouldn't cover the cost of our food. Honestly free dining if you stay at a value or a moderate and have three or more people often ends up being a better discount.

Also free dining requires a park hopper which costs a bit more than a base ticket. We always do park hoppers so that is a cost I already have figured in. Honestly I regularly price out vacations at non-discounted rates so I can see what promos might be the biggest cost savings.

There is certainly a learning curve to planning Disney trips.

Holy cow are you right. Just reading you guys up thread with all your acronyms is making my head spin. :-)

My kids will be 8 and 12, so really it looks like I will pay for 3 adults and 1 child. $2k for a dining plan seems really high, can my family really eat that much food?

Then I think, yes, we all like to eat, and my wife and kids are constantly hungry even after 2 hours of eating a sit down meal, will be wanting something to snack on. LOL.

And, if my whole vacation is inside the parks, I will be paying park prices for snacks and meals.

When I add it up, my family of 4 would need to spend $289 every single day on food to make the dining plan worth it.

My total budget for the 7 day trip wanted to be around $4,000. A quick pricing at the Port Orleans put my right about there with this free dining plan ($4,300). Paying for the plan is right at $6,100!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter