*****Official April 2020 thread*****

Do all my fellow April guests think the current Galaxy's Edge boarding group system will still be in place? I'm a month out from FP selections and need to add this into my planning. This is definitely a different planning dynamic than our last trip in 2017.
I was wondering the same myself. My fear is that all this planning I’m doing now can so easily be turned upside down once the move to FPs for RotR. Not to mention what will happen with Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railroad opens. Definitely too many unknowns for my liking, but it is what it is I guess. Maybe some announcements will be made in the next month either way!

Do all my fellow April guests think the current Galaxy's Edge boarding group system will still be in place? I'm a month out from FP selections and need to add this into my planning. This is definitely a different planning dynamic than our last trip in 2017.
That's what I'm expecting

I'm betting the boarding group system will still be in place I just hope they figure out park hours soon. My HS day is the day before Easter so I bet they extend hours. I just want to know if I should plan an early night for the night before.

Yeah, I think so. Well at least when we go earlier April. Really curious how MMRR will be, probably the same with boarding groups? Won't know until March 4th I suppose. We're going to add in an extra day at HS, so two days. Typically we've only done one short day before. Looking at park hours currently 9-9, have to watch for changes. One early morning hours, watch those days and if going on one of those days, which I plan to avoid (well, I think so right now, may change my mind after I read some more details on how EMH is going at HS lately), then adjust and go with the early morning hours.

I'm debating dropping the droid build reservations, since I made a purchase on DAH and things add up fast! I paid off the hotel this weekend and tickets, flight long ago paid. So, it's all dining, dog boarding, transportation, snacks, grocery, souvenir, misc. costs left when we go. Now I'm looking at the Droid and thinking okay that's $100 x 2 to delete. One kid will not care if it's cut, the other most likely would love it is very into building and legos, hands on anything and would probably really enjoy it. Ditched the light saber build already, now wondering about the droid build. Anyone else make reservations on light saber and/or droid then have second thoughts? Did you do it anyway and it was a great experience?

Based on the popularity of ROTR and that there does not seem to be a better way of handling the demand, I would expect BG's for the foreseeable future. The bigger question is what will DHS hours of operation be? Moving from 7am to 8am or 9am opening will put even more stress on the BG system as more people will be in the park.

I am expecting a BG system to be used for the new Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. So, it will be a choice bw ROTR or MMRR at park open through the app. FP+ will prob stay the same (sadly) with all major rides in Group A. It will be a mad dash at rope drop to hit Slinky or Smugglers Run.

Yeah, I think so. Well at least when we go earlier April. Really curious how MMRR will be, probably the same with boarding groups? Won't know until March 4th I suppose. We're going to add in an extra day at HS, so two days. Typically we've only done one short day before. Looking at park hours currently 9-9, have to watch for changes. One early morning hours, watch those days and if going on one of those days, which I plan to avoid (well, I think so right now, may change my mind after I read some more details on how EMH is going at HS lately), then adjust and go with the early morning hours.

I'm debating dropping the droid build reservations, since I made a purchase on DAH and things add up fast! I paid off the hotel this weekend and tickets, flight long ago paid. So, it's all dining, dog boarding, transportation, snacks, grocery, souvenir, misc. costs left when we go. Now I'm looking at the Droid and thinking okay that's $100 x 2 to delete. One kid will not care if it's cut, the other most likely would love it is very into building and legos, hands on anything and would probably really enjoy it. Ditched the light saber build already, now wondering about the droid build. Anyone else make reservations on light saber and/or droid then have second thoughts? Did you do it anyway and it was a great experience?
My 6yr old son and I built a droid in November 2019. We thought is was really fun and cool and the Droid is a great keepsake and reminder of the trip.

After having spent about $100 in Oga's for a few drinks (over 2 reservations), we now plan to not do Oga's in the future and put the money toward Savi's or another droid. I am glad we did Oga's and we all enjoyed it but I would rather spend our money elsewhere.

You have until 24hrs before to cancel your reservation and the closer you get to the date the harder it will be to get a spot. Although, I found that later in the day and into the evening you could quite easily get in to the droid depot.

I am expecting a BG system to be used for the new Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. So, it will be a choice bw ROTR or MMRR at park open through the app.
That's what we've been afraid of. We really want to experience both new attractions, even if it requires a longer than usual line. If they do make you choose one or the other for a boarding group, we're thinking of adding a day to our tickets and spending the morning at HS before we fly out in the evening. We've never done that before. You can add a day while in the park on the last day of your ticket right?

That's what we've been afraid of. We really want to experience both new attractions, even if it requires a longer than usual line.
DHS is a free-for-all these days and people who are used to planning are being forced to wing-it. Worst thing would be NOT getting a BG at park open and not having the Group A FP+ you want. That will make your day a bit miserable.

Personally, I am not sure 2 virtual lines are the best for DHS? They need something to eat people so there is room to walk and breathe.

You can add a day while in the park on the last day of your ticket right?
Yes, just talk to guest services in park.

My 6yr old son and I built a droid in November 2019. We thought is was really fun and cool and the Droid is a great keepsake and reminder of the trip.

After having spent about $100 in Oga's for a few drinks (over 2 reservations), we now plan to not do Oga's in the future and put the money toward Savi's or another droid. I am glad we did Oga's and we all enjoyed it but I would rather spend our money elsewhere.

You have until 24hrs before to cancel your reservation and the closer you get to the date the harder it will be to get a spot. Although, I found that later in the day and into the evening you could quite easily get in to the droid depot.
Hmm, maybe will wait until we are on site to decide. What I did do in the meantime is cancel the first reservation which we had on the first HS day, and make it for our second HS day which is going to be two days after the first (will do AK or Epcot in between HS days). Then at least we'll be on site in Galaxy's Edge the first time ever and see this, and I can get a better idea. That'll be more than 24 hours out then to decide.

I can't remember, do dining reservations have any effect on FP reservations???? Meaning, when I go to book FPs soon at 60+ out, and I have dining reservations in the system that maybe will overlap with a FP time, does that matter to MDE? What if they are at different parks? I booked quite a few dining reservations, but not ready to streamline down the final choices yet because I don't have park plans quite yet and wanted to see how the FPs will play out when I am able to book them. Pretty sure will be cutting out some dining reservations. Maybe will ask this on the FP forum.

I can't remember, do dining reservations have any effect on FP reservations???? Meaning, when I go to book FPs soon at 60+ out, and I have dining reservations in the system that maybe will overlap with a FP time, does that matter to MDE? What if they are at different parks? I booked quite a few dining reservations, but not ready to streamline down the final choices yet because I don't have park plans quite yet and wanted to see how the FPs will play out when I am able to book them. Pretty sure will be cutting out some dining reservations. Maybe will ask this on the FP forum.
MDE doesn't care if dining reso's overlap with FP+.

I 100% think RotR will be using boarding groups in April. It is still very unreliable. It had 7 hours of downtime this morning and it has been a mess to recover! I don't think we will see FP+ either. MFSR is still standby only. DHS is just very confusing to plan right now.

I think if they left boarding passes for rotr but changed fastpass tiers most people would be happy. Have slinky dog, smugglers run and rock'n'roll coaster , in tier 1. Tier2 toy story mania, Tower of terror, alien saucers. All others in tier 3. Throw runaway train in tier 1 when it's ready

What does everyone think is going to happen with HS hours for late March/ early April? I expect them to move up park opening, but are we thinking 7am or 8am opening? I make FP's a week from today and I am trying to nail down a strategy. We are family of huge SW fans so we have 2 full days and a morning in HS to try to get in as much as possible. Planning is tough without Fp for most things, and the fact that the Runaway railway will be open further complicates things. I have a feeling we will be standing in a lot more lines that we usually do.

What does everyone think is going to happen with HS hours for late March/ early April? I expect them to move up park opening, but are we thinking 7am or 8am opening? I make FP's a week from today and I am trying to nail down a strategy. We are family of huge SW fans so we have 2 full days and a morning in HS to try to get in as much as possible. Planning is tough without Fp for most things, and the fact that the Runaway railway will be open further complicates things. I have a feeling we will be standing in a lot more lines that we usually do.
I'm thinking something will fluctuate, maybe an 8 am open or a 9:30 pm close, or same and add some more EMH due to increased attendance in spring break weeks. Last year they changed hours about March I believe (I can't remember exactly the date it changed, end of Feb, beginning March, something like that, but they did in fact change hours on some parks after it was my 60+ FP booking window). Yep, have to currently go with what you know. We are also doing two days on our park hopper tickets in HS, we haven't done that before.

I'm thinking something will fluctuate, maybe an 8 am open or a 9:30 pm close, or same and add some more EMH due to increased attendance in spring break weeks. Last year they changed hours about March I believe (I can't remember exactly the date it changed, end of Feb, beginning March, something like that, but they did in fact change hours on some parks after it was my 60+ FP booking window). Yep, have to currently go with what you know. We are also doing two days on our park hopper tickets in HS, we haven't done that before.
I am thinking they will open at at least 8, based on how they are handling it now. They are opening earlier, but not extending later. I highly doubt we see morning EMH, but they might add to evening EMH.

Right now when I'm there, there is one EMH and hours 9-8:30. I'll just write that now to compare how hours look in a month or so to remember and compare what happened to hours! Easter is a week earlier this year.

*OK, looked at April 2019 thread since I went last April and was on there. Roughly around March 15 last year park hours were adjusted, at least that's when I noticed they posted changes.

Last edited:
Great news for April peeps! They changed the DHS FP tiering overnight! Smugglers Run & Slinky are Tier 1... everything else Tier 2!!! Will be interested to see what they do for MMRR! Probably Tier 1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter