**Official DLR August Check In Thread 2.0**

Hello! I made some updates to the list of who is going and who is not. If you see something missing let me know. I've been missing a few days due to a busy work schedule so I may have missed something.

As we get closer I'm curious about plans for travel. I hadn't put much thought into getting on a plane, not really thinking it would happen, and now here we are 2 months from sitting in the little metal box of recirculating air! :) Anyone else a little nervous about that? Or has anyone been on a plane in the last few months? I guess I'm more nervous about the process of security and all that jazz. We've been cooped up for so long I don't know how to do things anymore if that makes sense.

Last edited:
You can take me off the list for now. With a staff shortage at work and the very likely mandatory 14 day quarantine upon returning to Canada, we aren’t going, at least not during our original dates. I’m playing around with the last week of August because my place of work is possibly closing for a week then so it would make going a little easier. Honestly, it’s the quarantine that’s posing the real problem, along with guilt and worry that we could bring the virus home with us. Our little town hasn’t had any cases yet and I’d never forgive myself if I was the one who brought it here just so I could go on vacation. :sad1:

You can take me off the list for now. With a staff shortage at work and the very likely mandatory 14 day quarantine upon returning to Canada, we aren’t going, at least not during our original dates. I’m playing around with the last week of August because my place of work is possibly closing for a week then so it would make going a little easier. Honestly, it’s the quarantine that’s posing the real problem, along with guilt and worry that we could bring the virus home with us. Our little town hasn’t had any cases yet and I’d never forgive myself if I was the one who brought it here just so I could go on vacation. :sad1:
My husband and I plan to quarantine with our son for two weeks before traveling, then 7 days after and on the 8th day get COVID tests for all of us. It is truly insane for a 6-day vacation, but here we are.

Hello! I made some updates to the list of who is going and who is not. If you see something missing let me know. I've been missing a few days due to a busy work schedule so I may have missed something.

As we get closer I'm curious about plans for travel. I hadn't put much thought into getting on a plane, not really thinking it would happen, and now here we are 2 months from sitting in the little metal box of recirculating air! :) Anyone else a little nervous about that? Or has anyone been on a plane in the last few months? I guess I'm more nervous about the process of security and all that jazz. We've been cooped up for so long I don't know how to do things anymore if that makes sense.
I actually looked at Southwest’s information recently. They said they have a 6 hour overnight cleaning procedure, and then clean the bathrooms and cabin with hospital grade disinfectant between each flight. The planes use HEPA filters and, I did not know this, apparently the cabin air isn’t completely recirculated. It said that their air system actually pulls in outside air and that there is a complete exchange of inside and outside air every three minutes on average.

My state just released this graphic, which I thought was pretty interesting. Air travel is a moderately high risk — but it’s the same risk as attending religious services and not as risky as going to the gym. Staying at a hotel has been deemed a safe as camping.
FA6BE330-24B0-484C-AF0F-5BF590B52AC5.jpeg

My husband and I plan to quarantine with our son for two weeks before traveling, then 7 days after and on the 8th day get COVID tests for all of us. It is truly insane for a 6-day vacation, but here we are.
I wish we could just quarantine too! My husband can’t be away from work that long so it’s just not an option for us. I’ll be watching to see how things play out over the next weeks/months and hopefully we can rebook soon. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Reactions: EmJ
I actually looked at Southwest’s information recently. They said they have a 6 hour overnight cleaning procedure, and then clean the bathrooms and cabin with hospital grade disinfectant between each flight. The planes use HEPA filters and, I did not know this, apparently the cabin air isn’t completely recirculated. It said that their air system actually pulls in outside air and that there is a complete exchange of inside and outside air every three minutes on average.

My state just released this graphic, which I thought was pretty interesting. Air travel is a moderately high risk — but it’s the same risk as attending religious services and not as risky as going to the gym. Staying at a hotel has been deemed a safe as camping.
View attachment 501725

Thanks for sharing this! I had gone to Alaska's website to see what they were doing and it made me feel a little better too. My county in Oregon still hasn't hit Phase 1, we're the last, and biggest, so we're being extra careful. I feel like maybe if we keep being careful, by the time August rolls around maybe I will feel a little less reckless in taking this trip. Don't get me wrong, we are going, and I want to go, I just feel a little weird making plans. But I did start making our list of what t-shirts we need for which days... Which was really fun.

Thanks for sharing this! I had gone to Alaska's website to see what they were doing and it made me feel a little better too. My county in Oregon still hasn't hit Phase 1, we're the last, and biggest, so we're being extra careful. I feel like maybe if we keep being careful, by the time August rolls around maybe I will feel a little less reckless in taking this trip. Don't get me wrong, we are going, and I want to go, I just feel a little weird making plans. But I did start making our list of what t-shirts we need for which days... Which was really fun.
Waves from Multnomah county. There is supposed to be some sort of update at 1:00pm today ( rescheduled to 3:00pm) on the status of the county’s phase 1 opening. Fingers crossed. Our trip is in August, I hope we can go too.

Waves from Multnomah county. There is supposed to be some sort of update at 1:00pm today on the status of the county’s phase 1 opening. Fingers crossed. Our trip is in August, I hope we can go too.
Well hello there! I didn't know there was an announcement today, I have been working the last few days (up at the hospital, not clinical) and must have missed that. Thanks for letting me know. Our dates actually cross over, maybe we can wave at each other from six feet apart :)

Hi Erin, we're also coming from your neck of the woods in Clark County WA!! We're booked at GCH 8/17-8/21, and we will be driving (nervous about being on a plane, plus gas prices have been good).

I just saw a post in the Grand Californian super thread where someone paid over $300. a couple years ago. I thought that info on mousesavers didn't sound right.
I just saw that too! As much as I would like to do that, I don't think I can spend that much on a cabana. We are planning an entire day at the pool, so I am guessing we will get there early enough to get chairs.

I just saw that too! As much as I would like to do that, I don't think I can spend that much on a cabana. We are planning an entire day at the pool, so I am guessing we will get there early enough to get chairs.
Do we think the pools will be open? I would really love to spend an afternoon or two at the pool if it's hot out, and I expect it to be hot out. I was trying not to get excited about it because the pools at hotels here are still a no go, but we're moving slow so maybe GCH will be fine??

Hi Erin, we're also coming from your neck of the woods in Clark County WA!! We're booked at GCH 8/17-8/21, and we will be driving (nervous about being on a plane, plus gas prices have been good).
YAY! I'll get you added to the list too! And we can also wave from 6 feet apart because my trip crosses over yours too. Totally get the driving thing. If my six year old traveling partner were a little better on long car rides I'd consider it. It's a dream someday to drive down and stop in Santa Cruz at the boardwalk ( I grew up there) then stop in Santa Clara for Great America, and then head to DL for the grand finale!

Do we think the pools will be open? I would really love to spend an afternoon or two at the pool if it's hot out, and I expect it to be hot out. I was trying not to get excited about it because the pools at hotels here are still a no go, but we're moving slow so maybe GCH will be fine??
I actually wasn't sure but I saw this article:

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/06/...nts-embrace-reopening-of-bars-gyms-and-pools/
I also read that pools were open in Orlando. I know that isn't CA, but it's Disney. So I am hoping they will be open at DLR. I realize things will be differnent than normal and I am sure chairs will be spaced out, etc. Fingers crossed!

My son and I are supposed to go in late August, but I can’t take an additional 2 weeks off of work after our trip. I don’t see BC easing up on that any time soon.

Our family is booked at the GCH 8/2-8/8. This was a reschedule from 3/15...still getting over the closure 2 days prior to flying out! That one stung a bit! :( But we are all-in now....and cannot wait to get back to Disneyland!

My son and I are supposed to go in late August, but I can’t take an additional 2 weeks off of work after our trip. I don’t see BC easing up on that any time soon.
Nope me neither. We’ll likely reschedule for next summer and keep our fingers crossed it works out.

From another thread, for those with tickets to Star Wars Nite:

Just got off the phone with Disney and was given a refund without any problems. I waited until I saw a report on Twitter of someone getting a refund and I also wanted to call early because I didn’t want to be on hold forever. Hope this helps anyone who was waiting for reports of successfully getting a refund.

I'm afraid I'll be making more work for @theluckyrabbit and asked to be removed from the August group. Already moved from March for our first trip to DL (and SoCal). We will try again next summer. I hope everyone has an amazing time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!