Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Here's my favorite of the cakes from my last trip! I still can't get over the incredible details created by Chef Jessie at the Yacht & Beach Club!

• What: Coco/Dia de los Muertos mini cake
  • Where: Yacht & Beach Club
  • When: March 1, 2019
  • Flavors: Red velvet cake with cream cheese buttercream frosting
  • Price: $96 + $3 Private Dining delivery fee and 18% service charge
I've seen a lot of requests for Coco-themed cakes lately, so I wanted to see what the Yacht & Beach Club could come up with. As usual, they told me they couldn't do an actual Coco theme due to legal blah blah blah, but they were happy to do a generic Dia de los Muertos theme. The only direction I gave them was that it had to light up and I wanted it to be "the most amazing mini cake you've ever created"—which the guy taking my order wrote into my cake order form verbatim! :rotfl:

The quote that came back was $96 with a light-up skull or $86 with no light and flowers, so of course I went for the skull! This is what I got...

IMG_0968_zpsctzfjxbo.jpg

IMG_0971_zpsd1hytfgx.jpg

IMG_0972_zps9yqta0xf.jpg

IMG_0973_zpsmlwsytih.jpg

IMG_0974_zpsrxemlshv.jpg

IMG_0975_zps6oazi2xg.jpg

IMG_0969_zpslecqyrv0.jpg

IMG_0978_zpsse4bywmd.jpg

IMG_0981_zpsyelkpsb6.jpg

IMG_0983_zpsvt7ucsjt.jpg

The private dining cast member who set the cake up for me picked out the plates himself and did a fantastic job with presentation. He also told me it was Chef Jessie who created the cake, and, man, I wish I could shake her hand! The amount of detail work she did was unbelievable—look at those tiny fondant candles! And the sacred hearts and papel picado? Plus that intricate detail on the skull?! I could barely bring myself to cut into it! But of course I did... :teeth:

Overall, my two recent experiences ordering custom cakes from Yacht & Beach Club have been the best in years. They have a dedicated number for submitting an order, they have talented staff to fulfill your requests, they respond in a timely manner, they execute exactly what you've ordered, and they are quite accommodating of special requests. I wish all the Deluxe resorts were this on-the-ball!
Beautiful! This may be something I need to revisit for my October stay. Chef Jessie is also doing my cakes and I know I will be in good hands.

Does the Y&BC team do cakes for anywhere other than the resort - Epcot maybe? I feel like I've seen that before but not sure now. I would love to work with them in October for my nephew's 1st visit!

That cake is AMAZING. Look at the wax melting off the candles! :faint:

I know, right? That was my favorite detail!

Does the Y&BC team do cakes for anywhere other than the resort - Epcot maybe? I feel like I've seen that before but not sure now. I would love to work with them in October for my nephew's 1st visit!

Yes, they do the cakes for Art of Animation (Epcot has its own pastry team). BUT you have to call Art of Animation and work with someone there as a go-between. You can't just call Yacht & Beach Club and ask them to deliver to AOA. They'll say they don't do it. Might be easier just to book a dining reservation at one of the Yacht or Beach Club restaurants!

That Day of the Dead (I had to look up your theme) cake is definitely intricate, detailed and absolutely creepy. Sorry, but I really do not like skulls. Clearly the pastry chef is amazing. We're planning to eat at Yachtman's Steakhouse so I'll have to come up with something to request. Hubby is a huge Haunted Mansion fan but we also both love Star wars.... Hmmm, I'll have to look back thru the cakes posted.

I've only ordered my cakes from Y&BC Fine Dining thus far and have been very happy with their creations, pricing, in-room setup, and ease of ordering. It's awesome to see that they're continuing to deliver great cakes (@lurkyloo).

Now that we've added a new DVC home at the Polynesian, I will be placing my first cake order with GF this Fall. I've settled on a 2-tier mini cake with a tiki head theme.

If anyone has had any similar cakes done by GF, I would love to see your pictures. Thank you!!!

I've only ordered my cakes from Y&BC Fine Dining thus far and have been very happy with their creations, pricing, in-room setup, and ease of ordering. It's awesome to see that they're continuing to deliver great cakes (@lurkyloo).

Now that we've added a new DVC home at the Polynesian, I will be placing my first cake order with GF this Fall. I've settled on a 2-tier mini cake with a tiki head theme.

If anyone has had any similar cakes done by GF, I would love to see your pictures. Thank you!!!

Here's a Tiki cake done by the wedding cakes team at the Grand Floridian!

IMG_2433_zpsswddxavr.jpg

Hi all! I posted this in the wedding cake thread as well but wanted you all to see it since I'd posted my sketches earlier this year! My wedding at Luau Pointe was nothing short of MAGIC. So beautiful, peaceful, and fun. Here is our vintage Epcot cake!
Cake 2.jpeg Cake1.JPG

Last edited:
Hi all! I posted this in the wedding cake thread as well but wanted you all to see it since I'd posted my sketches earlier this year! My wedding at Luau Pointe was nothing short of MAGIC. So beautiful, peaceful, and fun. Here is our vintage Epcot cake!

I'm so glad to see you've posted these here—and that you were able to incorporate some of our suggestions in the design. It looks fabulous!

That looks amazing!!

Here's a Tiki cake done by the wedding cakes team at the Grand Floridian!

Thank you @lurkyloo Carrie! As always, you're a great help! I'm already thinking about the top 2 layers on a mini (even if I have to lose the torches)....a 6-inch will be too much cake this time with our ADRs and AK dessert party...

Once I order, I'll post the details!

Called last Wednesday and got through to Dorothy at CBR right away. She was a delight! All I said I wanted was a mini cake in Christmas colors and for it to say “Welcome Home”. I think it turned out great and my family was super surprised! I was quoted $40 but it was $35 when I got the bill at Sebastian’s. It was chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream and was super yummy!! I’ve seen a lot that folks say the mini cakes only serve two but there were four of us and we still had some left over. Could’ve been that we were just super full from dinner and didn’t have space but it definitely seemed bigger in person than it did in photos.

Just an update: When we got home after the trip I noticed a charge on my card for $40 and couldn't figure out why since I never even use that particular card. After around a week or so I remembered that it had been the card I put down for the above cake when I ordered it (because of the fact I never use it) over the phone where I was told it wouldn't be charged and I would just pay for the cake at the restaurant. I called to inquire about essentially being double charged and got the run around. Ultimately, after over an hour on the phone being transferred from person to person I was asked to prove I paid for the cake at the restaurant with the receipt. Unfortunately, I had no idea where on earth that receipt could be. Did I throw it out? Maybe. Could it be stuffed in a pocket of a jacket or in jeans somewhere? Quite possibly. Could it be at the bottom of the Seven Seas Lagoon? Sounds likely. It was the first night of an almost two week stay and I couldn't tell you where that receipt (let alone the many MANY others we accumulated) went in the madness that followed. So, I just called my credit card company and was like "Disney wants me to send them the receipt but I was there almost two weeks this was the first night and I have no idea where any receipt I got there even is I'm pretty sure I threw them all out" and they were really nice and took the charge off immediately even though at this point we were around two months after our visit and when I was charged. They also asked me to just look for the receipt LOL. They said the charge might have to be reinstated after they call Disney and see what was going on so to look to see if I find it just in case. Just recently they emailed me to say they resolved the issue with Disney and I didn't need to do anything else...which was a good thing since I never did find that receipt from Sebastian's.

So, I guess the moral of the story is to just watch the charges for the card that you put down to reserve your order to be sure you're not accidentally being double charged. Also, use a credit card for the card you put down so that you can easily dispute charges versus a debit card where you might just be out that extra money while they investigate. Also, save your receipts apparently ahahaha

I don't think this is a widespread issue since I didn't have this problem with the 8 inch cake I ordered from Epcot (which oddly enough they never made me put down a card to reserve) but always better to be safe than sorry :)

Hi! I've been searching for this answer to no avail, but I apologize if I've just missed it! Does Erin McKenna offer Disney-decorated cakes? I'm specifically interested in a dairy-free Stitch cake for my daughter's birthday to be delivered to 'Ohana... Or, if I brought a cake topper and dropped it off, do you know if the bakery would add it to the cake?

Thank you!

Hi! I've been searching for this answer to no avail, but I apologize if I've just missed it! Does Erin McKenna offer Disney-decorated cakes? I'm specifically interested in a dairy-free Stitch cake for my daughter's birthday to be delivered to 'Ohana... Or, if I brought a cake topper and dropped it off, do you know if the bakery would add it to the cake?

Thank you!

Erin McKenna's can't do any Disney-themed decor. The easiest thing to do would be to just plop the topper on yourself when the cake arrives. You could try sneaking it to your server, too. But arranging to get things to the pastry team is very complicated.

Erin McKenna's can't do any Disney-themed decor. The easiest thing to do would be to just plop the topper on yourself when the cake arrives. You could try sneaking it to your server, too. But arranging to get things to the pastry team is very complicated.
Thank you for your response! Ah okay. I emailed the bakery but haven't heard back yet. Unfortunately I looked over the cake options on the website and they may be too big. We're heading home after the ADR so can't store extra cake!

We were hoping to have a graduation themed cake on our arrival day (May 5) at BW. After reading some of these posts, I am a bit worried about using the BW Bakery. We don't want anything really fancy and are happy with just buttercream and no fondant if they can stay with the Graduation theme. Should I try to find somewhere else to get the cake done?

Also, anyone have any awesome Grad cakes they would like to share? I need some inspiration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!