Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Hi all! I have not read through the whole thread but would like to order a Mother's Day cake at Disney's Vero Beach resort. Any advice? Are the cakes worth the extra money and how do we pick how we would like it decorated?
We will also have a car and could order through Publix or somewhere local if that would make more sense or be a better option
Thanks for any and all advice-our trip is quickly approaching and life has been way too chaotic to plan lately!!

So a while back I posted about wanting to get my mom a Groot-themed birthday cake for her 55th birthday celebration. I had some back and forth going on with the Wilderness Lodge/Contemporary bakery trying to get this cake, and long story short I reached out to Pat at GF when Contemporary said they couldn't make my cake, even if I added the Groot figurine myself after. Pat agreed to make the cake and let me pick it up.

Fast forward to last week, we had the birthday stay coming up, and the WL team actually reached out to me themselves and said they would be willing to pick up the cake from GF and have it brought out to us at our dinner reservation at Whispering Canyon Cafe, which would eliminate the hassle of picking it up from GF and showing it to my mom before we were really ready to eat it (we had called the restaurant to ask if they would be OK with us bringing in an outside cake to serve after dinner, which they said was fine, and then called me back a few days later and offered to pick it up! I was totally shocked).

Saturday night was our dinner. My sister and I snuck over to the cafe while my mom was in the restroom and gave them the Groot figurine to add to the cake. When they brought it out after dinner, needless to say we were completely in awe of how it came out! My mom literally squealed with excitement when she saw it. It was AMAZINGLY done; Pat, as always, is such a creative wonder with these cakes! Somehow she made it all blend and work perfectly without even seeing the Groot figurine I would be adding. She even added little bits of fertilizer like you find in potting soil (mind = blown to even think of that!) The cake was delicious of course and was absolutely the best surprise ever for my mom. She even liked it better that the Groot was something she could keep and save and not something edible, so it all worked out absolutely perfect in the end!

Below are my inspiration pics I sent to Pat, and then the photos of the actual cake. Here are the other details:

6" round
Yellow Cake with The Grey Stuff
White fondant "flower pot" design
Crushed Oreos as "dirt"
Ordered through GF bakery but delivered to our reservation at WL, which I realize is total pixie dust and NOT the norm.
Total cost- $90

I don’t think any cake ever for the rest of birthdays will ever compare to this cake! :laughing:

View attachment 396161 View attachment 396162 View attachment 396163 View attachment 396164 View attachment 396165 View attachment 396166 View attachment 396167 View attachment 396168 View attachment 396169
Love this!!

Anyone know if the "Victoria Sponge Cake: Classic sponge cake with fresh strawberries and Chantilly cream." is like a Strawberry Shortcake?

Hi we aren't doing any sit down meals. Can I order an anniversary cake to be delivered at our lunch at be our guest? Or to the hotel room while we are out?

Hi we aren't doing any sit down meals. Can I order an anniversary cake to be delivered at our lunch at be our guest? Or to the hotel room while we are out?

You can have the cake delivered to your Disney resort room while you are out. See Post #2 for phone numbers. The Magic Kingdom no longer offers custom cake delivery to any of its restaurants. See Post #2 for standard options.

I wanted to post an update regarding our gender reveal cake! I spoke with Pat today at the GF and she was very nice. She steered me away from the two tier and we ended up going with a 6 inch since it was more about the design on the cake than a topper. She said this would provide more area for a design. She did only offer vanilla or chocolate and I didn’t push for a different flavor. She also only offered to dye the buttercream inside vs. the entire cake. I was able to send her inspiration photos and told her I was open to their interpretations.. as long as the gender wasn’t obvious on the outside! I will let everyone know how it goes, only another month away!

What a *disaster*... this thread had gotten me so excited for ordering a specialty cake for in-room delivery on our arrival day as a special surprise for my family. However, after a 20 minute call with the Wilderness Lodge cake line, the best they could offer me was an 8" cake with buttercream and a "flat" Fab-5 image on top. I kept asking over and over again about the specialty, fondant covered custom cakes and describing what I'm seeing in this thread when she finally offered to upgrade me to a "2D image of the Fab-5 with matching buttercream icing". I was so frustrated that I agreed and hung up totally disappointed. I didn't even give them a price range to stick to. We have allergies (egg, peanut, tree nut) but she was very accommodating about those by using the "namaste mix" and checking with the pastry chef. What did I do wrong?

What a *disaster*... this thread had gotten me so excited for ordering a specialty cake for in-room delivery on our arrival day as a special surprise for my family. However, after a 20 minute call with the Wilderness Lodge cake line, the best they could offer me was an 8" cake with buttercream and a "flat" Fab-5 image on top. I kept asking over and over again about the specialty, fondant covered custom cakes and describing what I'm seeing in this thread when she finally offered to upgrade me to a "2D image of the Fab-5 with matching buttercream icing". I was so frustrated that I agreed and hung up totally disappointed. I didn't even give them a price range to stick to. We have allergies (egg, peanut, tree nut) but she was very accommodating about those by using the "namaste mix" and checking with the pastry chef. What did I do wrong?

You didn't do anything wrong. The only way to get a fancy fondant cake at Wilderness Lodge is to have it made by the Contemporary, but you can't call the Contemporary directly and ask for it, you have to do the back-and-forth with Wilderness Lodge before they give up and offer you that option. It is very silly. I would call back and say that you want Wilderness Lodge to send your cake request to the Contemporary (be specific; ask if you can email pictures) and have them make it for delivery to Wilderness Lodge. That CM may not be aware, but this has been standard practice for years.

Did you speak to a Jane by chance? She was who I dealt with last autumn for my son's cake in December and she was salty AF and his cake turned out terrible. Didn't look anything like it was supposed to and was not great tasting, we ended up tossing it. But when I was dealing Jane she was one level of difficult after another, in hindsight I should have taken it as the sign to get his cake from a different resort. I would be polite but firm that you want the cake made at Contemporary and I would see if you can discuss the cake with the pastry person there.

Did you speak to a Jane by chance? She was who I dealt with last autumn for my son's cake in December and she was salty AF and his cake turned out terrible. Didn't look anything like it was supposed to and was not great tasting, we ended up tossing it. But when I was dealing Jane she was one level of difficult after another, in hindsight I should have taken it as the sign to get his cake from a different resort. I would be polite but firm that you want the cake made at Contemporary and I would see if you can discuss the cake with the pastry person there.

I didn’t grab her name, unfortunately. She seemed like she wanted to be helpful, but within the confines of an 8” buttercream cake with a flat image only. Now I’m trying to weigh whether it’s worth the hassle of going thru contemporary or just having the cake I ordered last week. What is important to me is that it’s in our room when we arrive- can the contemporary bakery deliver that?

I didn’t grab her name, unfortunately. She seemed like she wanted to be helpful, but within the confines of an 8” buttercream cake with a flat image only. Now I’m trying to weigh whether it’s worth the hassle of going thru contemporary or just having the cake I ordered last week. What is important to me is that it’s in our room when we arrive- can the contemporary bakery deliver that?

When the cake comes from the Contemporary, it's sent via Private Dining, so they can deliver it to your room.

Are you wanting the cake to already be in your room when you arrive? Typically, Disney doesn't do that (unless maybe if you're staying concierge level). Even for gifts or decorations ordered through Disney Florist, you have to have physically checked into your room before they will bring it. I just wanted to mention it so you can double-check, if that's something that is important to you.

This is very exciting! DISer @Ballina was sent these photos of special occasion cakes created by Disney's Hollywood Studios pastry team. She was also told that the new pastry chef there wants DHS to become known as THE place to order cakes, so... let's give 'em a try! :teeth:

At least two of them are covered in fondant (the two red Minnie cakes with white dots), and a few look like they might be covered in chocolate ganache. The rest are smooth buttercream.

Slide1_zpsiyu6ri3g.jpg

Slide5_zpsl6giwgjj.jpg

Slide3_zpse6skkqac.jpg

Slide2_zpsmtc8uzid.jpg

Slide4_zpstqaqvbs3.jpg

The rectangle one is the one I ordered for my nephews birthday!

Hello fellow cake lovers, just got off the phone with Pat from the GF. Ordering a cake again for my DD’s birthday in a couple of weeks. Her favorite ride is Splash Mountain and it’ll be a 6-inch, tall cake covered in fondant and modeling chocolate logs, buildings, and rocks. Even though I found the inspiration pic on this thread, it won’t let me upload it because the file is too large. $195 which is pricey for 6 inches, but I get it because it’s a lot of work, and it’s the GF lol. I’ll post the pics of our cake when I get back! Omg so excited!

Last year was the first time since DD turned 5 that we were back in WDW in May, her birthday month. After reading through this thread, I was inspired and ordered her a mini-cake in the colors of the Incredibles, her favorite Disney movie. Had it delivered for dessert at Narcoossee’s. She was so surprised and thrilled, so I’m going for it again. I can’t wait to see the cake and DD’s expression when they bring it out!

:sunny:

Last edited:
I want to order a cake for my granddaughter's birthday the end of the month. I believe that we will want it with our dinner at Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge.
I would like to talk to someone at WDW about decorating a custom cake with an "It's A Small World" theme.
Who do I contact?
Any ideas or pictures of this type themed cake?
Thanks for any help and ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!