Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I just got myself a 6 inch cake for my birthday for me and me alone, so I wouldn't hesitate to get one for 2 people. While a mini might be easier for 2 people to sit and eat in one meal, the cost of the 6 inch seems to be the same if not cheaper in most cases. But I'm also all about the leftovers which factors in to my decision to usually stick with a 6 inch cake.

I generally attempt to order our cakes when it's convenient to return to our resort and store the leftovers, but I've also carried one around the parks for a bit as well when we didn't leave as planned. Having a stroller it wasn't as difficult as I'd anticipated, but my backup option was to rent a locker and just store it until the end of the night. If it's a cool day in January, I wouldn't hesitate to think about storing it that way. Particularly if you don't have fresh fruit or a mousse filling.

As for the ease of working with the bakeries, I think it's not only particular to the bakery but who you get on the other line when you make the order sometimes. I've only dealt with the Contemporary. and they've been great, so I can't give personal input on the others.

Thank you! I think I'm going to try my luck with AKL with the 6inch (fingers crossed) so we can just have it in the room especially for when we get home from the parks at night and I need a sugar fix.

Wow! This thread is so helpful (and long!)! This will be my 1st time ordering a cake (many trips - just 1st cake) and I must admit, it’s a bit overwhelming. I have a dilemma... I want to order a cake for my DD’s 30th Birthday, but don’t really want to deal with carrying left-overs around in a park afterwards.
Anyone ever get a cake delivered to Beaches & Cream?
I know we’ll be stuffed with ice cream, (some plan to order the kitchen sink) but that’s really the only night we’ll be going straight back to our hotel. There will be 8 of us but I’m thinking a 6 inch cake should be plenty since we’ll be having ice cream, too? I assume I call the Beach Club private dining to order? TIA

My daughter called to try and get a custom cake at Magic Kingdom and was told they no longer do custom cakes at MK? Odd right?

My daughter called to try and get a custom cake at Magic Kingdom and was told they no longer do custom cakes at MK? Odd right?
They now have a signature dessert you can order at each MK restaurant (details are in the first post or two I believe) or you can get the new Mickey podium cakes. If you want something personalized you’ll have to order for somewhere outside of MK

They now have a signature dessert you can order at each MK restaurant (details are in the first post or two I believe) or you can get the new Mickey podium cakes. If you want something personalized you’ll have to order for somewhere outside of MK

Thanks TinkLoverSam! That stinks :( My son is graduating from the Fire Academy and I'd love to have a Fireman Mickey on a cake for our Crystal Palace meal but oh well #firstworldpain and all LOL

Wow! This thread is so helpful (and long!)! This will be my 1st time ordering a cake (many trips - just 1st cake) and I must admit, it’s a bit overwhelming. I have a dilemma... I want to order a cake for my DD’s 30th Birthday, but don’t really want to deal with carrying left-overs around in a park afterwards.
Anyone ever get a cake delivered to Beaches & Cream?
I know we’ll be stuffed with ice cream, (some plan to order the kitchen sink) but that’s really the only night we’ll be going straight back to our hotel. There will be 8 of us but I’m thinking a 6 inch cake should be plenty since we’ll be having ice cream, too? I assume I call the Beach Club private dining to order? TIA

Yes, a 6-inch cake will be plenty, and yes, call Beach Club Private Dining. Unless you're staying at a Disney resort, in which case you could just order through their Private Dining and have the cake delivered to your room.

Thank you for this incredibly helpful (and interesting) thread. I'm looking for creative suggestions for a custom New Year's Eve Birthday cake - for myself. I'll be staying at the GF with husband and 2 teen daughters. I have a significant amount of baking and cake decorating experience and I understand costs associated with custom cakes. Taking $$ out of the equation - what creative design ideas might you have for a New Year's Eve Birthday cake?

Thank you for this incredibly helpful (and interesting) thread. I'm looking for creative suggestions for a custom New Year's Eve Birthday cake - for myself. I'll be staying at the GF with husband and 2 teen daughters. I have a significant amount of baking and cake decorating experience and I understand costs associated with custom cakes. Taking $$ out of the equation - what creative design ideas might you have for a New Year's Eve Birthday cake?

What's meaningful to you? A character? Colors? I would give general guidelines and let them surprise me

Well, I've come up with a thought for my NYE birthday cake at Grand Floridian. Since the GF screams Cinderella, and I'm "old school"... and since it's New Year's Eve, I thought of doing a When the Clock Strikes Midnight / Cinderella theme. I'm thinking a clock medallion with the hands at 12, matching the famous midnight scene in Cinderella. Elegant, bows, possibly with a Cinderella silhouette with the clock strikes midnight quote. TBD though, because I think what I want might be more than I want to spend, and being a baker/decorator myself, I might do iced sugar cookies myself along the same theme and bring them with for birthday day, and maybe just go with the new (cute) celebration cake or GF mini castle cake. Anyway, will let you know what I decide. Also, for those of you looking for a pricing comparison, the Disney cakes are on track. Here's a good calculator to compare: http://www.galabakery.com/cake-ulator

Last edited:
Dude, your theme/cake is an absolute stroke (no pun intended) of genius!!!! Wow. Just a really great job. I think you should totally follow-through on that.

I called the Epcot line on Sunday to order a custom cake for next month. The message told me they work Monday to Friday and would be closed Monday the 13th for Vetrans Day. I left a message and received a call back mid-day on Tuesday. I was ordered a marble 8 inch cake with chocolate filling and vanilla buttercream dyed blue for an under-the-Sea themed cake with piped coral. They will write happy anniversary on it and leave room for the Marlin and Dory figures I have to put on the top of the cake. Pretty painless. I was quoted $40 to be paid at the time of delivery. We shall see how it looks on December 9th at Coral Reef.
So we are back! Our cake was beautiful and very tasty. I don’t love the mousse filling but the buttercream was awesome!
72463994-9C37-4917-90D2-FE59503A6434.jpeg

Has anyone had difficulties with getting a call back from the WDW Cake Hotline? I have been calling all week and all I get is voicemail. I’ve left two messages with the guaranteed call back within 24 hours and have not received a call back yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts