Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I am going to order a cake for our 10th wedding anniversary - what are your favorite flavor combinations?

Red velvet + cream cheese buttercream frosting (not Disney's cream cheese mousse filling, which is too cheesecake-y for my taste)
Chocolate + chocolate ganache layered with peanut butter buttercream frosting (again, not their mousse filling)

The fillings that brides really love are Amaretto Crunch, The Grey-Stuff ("inspired" — they supposedly aren't able to give you exactly what's served at Be Our Guest), and Tropical Fruit Mousse. WDW also recently started doing churro cake with churro filling for brides, but it's getting mixed reviews. The cake can be dry.

Thank you for all of the wonderful information on this thread! I have spent the past few days reading the thread since the beginning. We are Disney veterans (have been there many, many times over the past 20 years) but I have never ordered a cake.

Well, thanks to all of your information I ordered a Mickey cake for my family to be delivered on our arrival day next Friday. It will be a surprise for my husband and DS. I spoke with Pat at the GF and agreed to spend $100 on the cake. With the 18% charge and delivery fee I am expecting a fee around $120. I am hoping for a really fun and pretty cake. I will post pictures when we return from our trip!

Just a quick thing about the cake info in post 2. I just called to get a celebration cake. Those pre made ones that r chocolate or Vennilla. We used to always get them with a screen print with a scroll and it was pretty cheap and really nice. They don’t have them anymore. They r the mickey dome ones.

But what I wanted to say was u can get the 6 inch cake with a screen print and scroll bit still have the 8 inch custom cake filling choices. Cake flavor of cholcolate, vennilla or marble. And it’s still pretty cheap. Like 38 total.

Just wanted to let u all know the 6 inch cake does have some options that are not listed that must have changed.

We do these simple cakes anymore cause they r really nice. A good value and u know what u r going to get.

Jim

What bakery makes the cakes for Saratoga Springs?

What resorts beside Contemporary, Bay Lake Tower and Fort Wilderness does the Contemporary make cakes for?

Just a quick thing about the cake info in post 2. I just called to get a celebration cake. Those pre made ones that r chocolate or Vennilla. We used to always get them with a screen print with a scroll and it was pretty cheap and really nice. They don’t have them anymore. They r the mickey dome ones.

But what I wanted to say was u can get the 6 inch cake with a screen print and scroll bit still have the 8 inch custom cake filling choices. Cake flavor of cholcolate, vennilla or marble. And it’s still pretty cheap. Like 38 total.

Just wanted to let u all know the 6 inch cake does have some options that are not listed that must have changed.

We do these simple cakes anymore cause they r really nice. A good value and u know what u r going to get.

Jim

But which resort did you call? Every resort has different policies, and what you were told applies only to resorts serviced by whatever pastry team you were talking to. Some of them refuse to customize anything less than a 10-inch. Some won't let you have any flavor other than vanilla, chocolate and basic fruit flavors. Some refuse to do mini cakes. There is no standardization of anything but the Mickey dome cakes, unfortunately.

What bakery makes the cakes for Saratoga Springs?

What resorts beside Contemporary, Bay Lake Tower and Fort Wilderness does the Contemporary make cakes for?

As it says in Post #2, Saratoga Springs' cakes come from BoardWalk Bakery. But you cannot call BWB and ask them to deliver to SSR. You have to call SSR to order the cake, and then *they* contact BWB. It's very silly, really.

The Contemporary only makes cakes for those three resorts and Wilderness Lodge. All the other resorts have their own pastry teams or are serviced by other resorts' pastry teams.

Sorry didn’t realize. Yacht club bakery this time.

In the past akl and yacht club bakery let me customize the old celebration cake.

This time like I said yacht club let me customize the 29 dollar 6 inch cake.

But which resort did you call? Every resort has different policies, and what you were told applies only to resorts serviced by whatever pastry team you were talking to. Some of them refuse to customize anything less than a 10-inch. Some won't let you have any flavor other than vanilla, chocolate and basic fruit flavors. Some refuse to do mini cakes. There is no standardization of anything but the Mickey dome cakes, unfortunately.

As it says in Post #2, Saratoga Springs' cakes come from BoardWalk Bakery. But you cannot call BWB and ask them to deliver to SSR. You have to call SSR to order the cake, and then *they* contact BWB. It's very silly, really.

The Contemporary only makes cakes for those three resorts and Wilderness Lodge. All the other resorts have their own pastry teams or are serviced by other resorts' pastry teams.

I called about a month ahead of timeto order a cake for my grandson's 1st. birthday. I felt I needed an early start because I needed a cake that DH & I, my son DDIL and 3 grandsons could all eat. The list of allergies is long, but they did it for us in Disneyland(it was delicious) last year so I knew it could be done... with no wheat/gluten, eggs, dairy, peanuts, or tree nuts,oats & barley. I also would like it delivered to Minnie's Seasonal Dine @ Hollywoood Studios.
I called the cake line and they told me too many allergies maybe Erin McKenna's Bakery at DS could help. She gave me a phone number but after trying to call for 2 days I looked up the number & it was the wrong one, maybe I wrote it down wrong when she said the number.
The cake line for Erin McKenna's Bakery is 855-462-2292. I ordered a 1st. Birthday chocolate brownie cake with white frosting. She said that was the most popular and they would deliver it to the restaurant for us. The only thing is that they couldn't put any disney characters on the cake like they did for my older grandson at Disneyland last year, just balloons. Im so happy to get a cake after a week of trying. I ordered some little Disneycharacter/toothpick toppers that look really cute with a mickey I'm 1 bib! I'm so happy I got a cake with all those allegies. I'm sure it will be delicious too.

The one at Disney was enough for 2 families last year for $40, this one is $52.
But who cares, we will all enjoy it together.

My dad will be turning 70(!) a two days before our next trip - I'd really love to surprise him with a fancy cake! Only problem is I have NO idea what to do for design :(. We'll be staying at the Yacht Club and will probably do a 6 inch cake to be delivered to their room or maybe to dinner at the resort. His fave ride is Splash Mountain, but other than that I am clueless :( . Any great splash mountain designs you lovelies have seen out there - or a great neutral theme?? I did do a pinterest search and found some nice ones but not sure if they're too ambitious

My dad will be turning 70(!) a two days before our next trip - I'd really love to surprise him with a fancy cake! Only problem is I have NO idea what to do for design :(. We'll be staying at the Yacht Club and will probably do a 6 inch cake to be delivered to their room or maybe to dinner at the resort. His fave ride is Splash Mountain, but other than that I am clueless :( . Any great splash mountain designs you lovelies have seen out there - or a great neutral theme?? I did do a pinterest search and found some nice ones but not sure if they're too ambitious

No Splash Mountain ideas ... but I ordered a pre-birthday cake for my bestie last year at the Yacht Club and I just gave the pastry team a general idea - I wanted it to say "A Very Merry UnBirthday" and be themed like the teacups and they blew the design OUT OF THE WATER.

Here's my cake from the Yacht Club pastry team:

66192d0e-8fed-4baa-9e31-40ef5ace8136-jpeg.283426

No Splash Mountain ideas ... but I ordered a pre-birthday cake for my bestie last year at the Yacht Club and I just gave the pastry team a general idea - I wanted it to say "A Very Merry UnBirthday" and be themed like the teacups and they blew the design OUT OF THE WATER.

66192d0e-8fed-4baa-9e31-40ef5ace8136-jpeg.283426
WOW! How much did they charge for that?

That cake is absolutely delightful!

We just had out 38 dollar wonder from yacht club over at the yachtsman after dinner. 6 inch chocolate with chocolate moose. It had a screen print and chocolate scroll for happy birthday. They did awesome for such a cheap cake. They did the chocolate buttercream icing but then added a whole other layer of colored icEing to match the screen print. Very very impressed for the cost. And it can easily feed 6 people at 6 inches only. Total bargain. Better than the old celebration cakes woth screen prints I have posted here. I’ll get pics up when we get home.

Just ordered my first two cakes and am feeling mixed thoughts. After two messages left for Pat at the GF she called back and of course caught me in my car with none of my notes or such. I felt kind of rushed through the process and didn’t get a chance to ask about certain options and such. I was quoted $40 for a two tier mini anniversary cake in chocolate with white icing and blue flowers, and $85 for a 6” birthday cake Cinderella theme in marble, which she said they don’t normally do. I plan to call back to reconfirm a couple days beforehand, here’s hoping I’m not disappointed.

Does anyone have a picture of what the Amaretto Crunch Mousse looks like in a cake? Also can anyone describe it better? Similar tastes? Overly sweet? etc...

Here's what the filling and cake looked like in cups at the bridal showcase. (They called it "almond crunch" but it's the same thing.)

IMG_6374.jpg

I didn't try it though cuz I hate almond flavoring..... sorry!

Thank you for both asking this and posting this... I had the same question. Next goofy question, what makes it crunchy? Anyone know? I know @lurkyloo wouldn't try it!:rotfl:

Just ordered my first two cakes and am feeling mixed thoughts. After two messages left for Pat at the GF she called back and of course caught me in my car with none of my notes or such. I felt kind of rushed through the process and didn’t get a chance to ask about certain options and such. I was quoted $40 for a two tier mini anniversary cake in chocolate with white icing and blue flowers, and $85 for a 6” birthday cake Cinderella theme in marble, which she said they don’t normally do. I plan to call back to reconfirm a couple days beforehand, here’s hoping I’m not disappointed.

If you feel like you didn't get to request what you wanted or hear all the info you needed, call back now. I'd hate for you to be disappointed because they didn't take the time to understand what you really wanted!

Thank you for both asking this and posting this... I had the same question. Next goofy question, what makes it crunchy? Anyone know? I know @lurkyloo wouldn't try it!:rotfl:

They use puffed rice, sorta like Rice Krispies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter