Official Dopey 2018 Thread

Not yet. Pretty much every flight out of Little Rock is $400, no matter where you are going, all the time. And it stays around that price, not going up or down. So I can wait. :)

I just booked my flights earlier this week. The prices were ridiculous, but after tracking prices for several weeks, it looked unlikely I would see much movement. This weekend being right after the holidays is not making for great airfare options. I'm glad I have them booked though. Always helps make the trip more real!!

We have had this issue lately too. We fly from Minneapolis and are going in November for 10 days and it was $500! We had gotten used to the $200-$300 for awhile so that was a downer but November is weird this year for some reason. I was able to book my Dopey flight for about $328 which was a little less scary but I found staying to Tuesday this year instead of Monday helped me a lot too!

I have room booked, flights booked and some dining planned! We'll be doing the QS dining when my husband joins me to try out the new plans with the drinks included and I'm doing a few nice TS meals I like to do alone before anyone else shows :) I'm an adventurous eater surrounded by the most extreme picky eaters. :crazy2:

I think I looked at flights a couple weeks back. I normally just go by myself, so it isn't that big of a deal, but with DBF, it doubles the cost and I have to work around his work schedule. And had to recover from flights to DL ½ weekend and Wine & Dine ½ weekend.
Big props to all those who take families to Disney.

I'm still pondering ChEAR Squad and Race Retreat.

I was told last night, "We don't need to get that. There are better ways to spend money on our trip." He hasn't been standing on World Drive before a race in sleet and snow flakes.....

I booked my flights pretty much right away they have gone up significantly since.
I didnt book them 'right' away, but not really bad.. Now they are REALLY bad pricing.. So not happy with what I got them for, but would have been REALLY mad if I'd waited even a few days longer.. At least at this point..

I booked my flights pretty much right away they have gone up significantly since.
Yep this was me too! Although the airline on the way back just changed my itinerary, but it's a little bit better so I don't mind.
Also rooms have been booked for a while, ADRs are made, next up...FPs!

I booked right away and got a return flight for $59! Tried to get DW to go ahead and commit to come down from Fri-Mon to take advantage. She hemmed and hawed and when she finally got around to pulling the trigger on booking two days later that flight was $155. Now it looks like an entirely solo trip...

I booked right away and got a return flight for $59! Tried to get DW to go ahead and commit to come down from Fri-Mon to take advantage. She hemmed and hawed and when she finally got around to pulling the trigger on booking two days later that flight was $155. Now it looks like an entirely solo trip...
My return was $89 so I was happy with that.

Hotel's booked and I've made a few ADR's. No flights since I refuse to fly if I can get there another way.
Now I'm trying to patiently wait for Disney to announce the military discounts so I can hopefully get our room cheaper.

I was told last night, "We don't need to get that. There are better ways to spend money on our trip." He hasn't been standing on World Drive before a race in sleet and snow flakes.....

Yes, it's basically an insurance policy against bad weather, at least before the race. But here are my issues with the the Retreat and ChEAR:

1) Our plan at the expo was to get in, get our bibs, get out. Our timing gets screwed up if she can get in at 10, and I have to wait until 12. If she could get my bib, I'd be all for that.

2) probably the most minor of the bunch, but I'm doing this chronologically: She can get into the tent at 3:30, I have to wait until 5:30. That's ok, I can sleep in a little longer :D She'd rather me be there, though.

3) I'm going to be jumping all over The World, chasing her around, and cheering her on. This might be the only reason for me to get ChEAR Gold, for the better seating at MK. I may not need that at the finish (see 4)

4) Her pace will be so slow, that I'm not certain if she will have any time to enjoy the retreat post-race. She's not going after any personal records, she just wants to finish.

I caved and used FF miles for my flight--they are getting less valuable all the time, and harder to earn (on Delta, anyway) so for 20,000 miles I avoided paying $350 to get the flights I wanted.

I have 2 hotel reservations: one at POR (switched from PO-FQ because if a discount comes out it never seems to cover/be the same for PO-FQ) and one at Pop. I'll make up my mind later.

I'm not an ADR person because: A) I think Disney food is overpriced for the quality B)I have a car and can go offsite if I want and C) traveling solo, I am quite happy to belly up to the bar and eat at a restaurant if I want to. I did make a late lunch reservation at Tiffins on Sunday. We'll see if I end up keeping it.

Two quick Dopey questions...

1. How many different pairs of sneakers do you wear during Dopey? The same ones all four days? Rotate them?

2. What is your longest training run leading up to Dopey? How many times do you go that distance?

Based on the number of question marks above, I guess I have more than two questions.

I booked my flights the day JetBlue opened the schedule and managed to get a great deal - less than $225 round trip, including a checked bag!

1. How many different pairs of sneakers do you wear during Dopey? The same ones all four days? Rotate them?

I'm struggling on this one. Luggage-wise I'd ideally like to only bring two pairs but I think I may end of bringing three. I usually wear different shoes for short runs and long runs, so I'd have one style for the 5K/10K and another style for the half/full. But I don't really want to wear the same pair for both the half and full. I may end up bringing two pairs of the same style and wear the one that has fewer miles on it for the full and the other for the half.

2. What is your longest training run leading up to Dopey? How many times do you go that distance?

I'm injured right now, so my training plan is a bit up in the air, but I'm hoping to max out at 20 miles with a 10 miler the day before for back-to-back practice. I'd only do it once.

I take 3 pairs of shoes. I have one pair of trainers for before the races start earlier in the week. Then I have two pairs of racers that I alternate 5k+HM and 10k+M. I keep an eye on the weather because if rain is predicted for the 10k, then I seriously consider alternatives because I want dry shoes for the marathon.

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 8.59.43 AM.png

I have run the Dopey Challenge four times. I treat it like marathon training. Because I run a marathon in Oct/Nov before the Dopey Challenge training, I usually only get up to max distance once. I like to think of training in terms of relative pace and duration. My 18 miles doesn't equal another person's 18 miles. But my 150 minutes run at GMP + 40 sec = another person's 150 minutes run at GMP + 40 sec. I like to keep my LR % at somewhere between 25-30% of the week's training. The 2017 training is a bit misleading because I got sick right before Dopey and my training got cut back (and because WI had a brutal December for temps/snow). For training for 2018, I will likely end up somewhere between 2016 and 2017 with a max run of 150 minutes at GMP + 40 sec with week duration around 8:30:00.

I typically take 3 pairs with me. I'll use one pair for the 5k & 1/2 and use the other pair for the 10k & full. The third is usually an older pair that I will wear around the parks, but could use in the shorter races in a pinch should something happen to the luggage with the good pairs or in case of excessive rain.

Similar to @DopeyBadger, I train for Dopey like it's "just" a marathon. I haven't finalized my fall training but I'm skipping the fall marathon and training directly for Dopey in hopes of getting there uninjured this year. I anticipate my long runs topping out somewhere near 15 miles this year and I'll probably run that three times or so.

Based on the number of question marks above, I guess I have more than two questions.
1. I brought two pairs last year.

2. Last year I topped out at 19 miles but but year I'm planning on 20. I plan on doing that once.

1. I bring two pairs. One is used for the 5k and half, the other for the 10k and full.

2. My longest run before Dopey will probably be 18-20 miles done the weekend of Christmas. I'll be coming off Chicago in October and maybe a half IM in November, which means Dopey training will really be about maintaining fitness.

The first two years I ran in the same pair all 4 days. Last two I've been in the 5k/Half, 10k/Full club. Didn't make the switch for any particular reason, both options have worked well. I'll probably stick with the second plan because I think it is theoretically a better one for preventing blisters.

I've tipped at 20 miles as part of a simulated Dopey each of the four years. 3-6-10-20 has been the mileage of my simulation. Seems to work fine.

The first two years I ran in the same pair all 4 days. Last two I've been in the 5k/Half, 10k/Full club. Didn't make the switch for any particular reason, both options have worked well. I'll probably stick with the second plan because I think it is theoretically a better one for preventing blisters.

Or rain. Having a second pair is most helpful if it rains during one of the races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!