Official Goofy 2018 Thread

I'm in for Goofy, and I think this is number 8 for me.

I pretty much train for a marathon, primarily to get miles on my legs. I'll go out and run the half at a decent pace (usually finishing in 1:45-1:55), and then plan on finishing the full in a little over 4 hours. The full is more of a reward. I enjoy running around the parks, the feeling of achievement, etc., but Disney isn't where I'm shooting for a PR (certainly not after knocking out a half the previous day). I've actually found that a modified Galloway (running the first 10 miles or so, and then starting a 5:1 run:walk) has worked out pretty well, and kept me at around 4:15-4:20 for the race.

With that mindset, it's really allowed me to relax and enjoy the parks in the days leading up to the races. Usually golf on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings, a couple of days at the park, and just trying to get some reasonable sleep on Friday night. I drive myself from BW, so I don't need to leave until about 3:30.

After the race, swing by and pick up my parents, hit IHOP for an omelet, shower, and to the parks. I think the walking helps loosen everything up, and gives me a bit of a chance to stretch. Since I'm not napping on Saturday, it's a piece of cake to crash on Saturday night, wake up, and repeat.

After the full, however, I shower, then go gorge myself on Mexican food and beer before heading back to the hotel to watch football and nap for about three hours.

My first year i was really, really nervous. It was my first race of any kind, and I chose Goofy. Since then, I've found it is wildly enjoyable, but just a part of an enjoyable Disney vacation.

I'm in for Goofy, and I think this is number 8 for me.

I pretty much train for a marathon, primarily to get miles on my legs. I'll go out and run the half at a decent pace (usually finishing in 1:45-1:55), and then plan on finishing the full in a little over 4 hours. The full is more of a reward. I enjoy running around the parks, the feeling of achievement, etc., but Disney isn't where I'm shooting for a PR (certainly not after knocking out a half the previous day). I've actually found that a modified Galloway (running the first 10 miles or so, and then starting a 5:1 run:walk) has worked out pretty well, and kept me at around 4:15-4:20 for the race.

With that mindset, it's really allowed me to relax and enjoy the parks in the days leading up to the races. Usually golf on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings, a couple of days at the park, and just trying to get some reasonable sleep on Friday night. I drive myself from BW, so I don't need to leave until about 3:30.

After the race, swing by and pick up my parents, hit IHOP for an omelet, shower, and to the parks. I think the walking helps loosen everything up, and gives me a bit of a chance to stretch. Since I'm not napping on Saturday, it's a piece of cake to crash on Saturday night, wake up, and repeat.

After the full, however, I shower, then go gorge myself on Mexican food and beer before heading back to the hotel to watch football and nap for about three hours.

My first year i was really, really nervous. It was my first race of any kind, and I chose Goofy. Since then, I've found it is wildly enjoyable, but just a part of an enjoyable Disney vacation.
Love it!

I went to a modified Galloway a few years ago for rD races and it has really helped me prepare for the character picture stops. My typical marathon is right at 4 hours. My rD marathon is 5:30+. I also use a 5:1 run:walk ratio for rD races, but I start it immediately. My wife wants me to consider a 3:1 ratio next year so she can join me on some of those longer training runs. Not sure what I think about the ratio, but I will probably give it a try since I love running with her.

It's still hot here in Florida so I haven't been running more than four miles a week! I do a crossfit type thing twice a week (nothing crazy but we pull sleds and flip tires) so I'm keeping my cardio in check.

I'm running by myself for the half (introvert, doesn't bother me) and running with a friend I met in a corral for the Gate River Run here in Jacksonville in 2016(my first 15k!). She does the Galloway method so I'm going to just do that with her. Hopefully that's easier for someone that usually just runs entire time? She doesn't usually stop for characters and that's the only reason I run so hopefully it will be a decent first marathon for both of us

I've mentally finalized my costumes: Scar for the half and Sorcerer Mickey for the full.

Given that we are closing in on race weekend, I thought I'd kick the Goofy thread back into life.

How is the Goofy training going?

History is repeating itself for me. Prior to my first Goofy two years ago, I got injured running a half marathon in November and was worried all December that I might not be able to run it at all, and my training came to halt. I remember getting a cortisone shot from the doc and on December 10 I was able to run 2 miles on a turf field (the cushioning helped my knee). By the end of the month I was able to work up to a 20 miler. At the Goofy, the half went fine but I was scared about the last half of the full. As it turned out I didn't have too bad of a problem - all the miles I had in the bank from earlier in the year paid off.

This year, sure enough, the same knee started to bother me at the end of October. Not as bad as two years ago, but I had to take time off. I haven't seen the doc this year, but between additional stretching, exercises, the recumbent bike and a knee brace, I've slowly been able to get back into training. I managed a 12 miler last Sunday (should have been running 20 by now), but the knee is slowly improving. Based on last time, I know if I can get up to an 18 or 20 miler before January I'll be fine. I've already done 3 marathon cycles this year so I've got plenty of miles banked.

I'm not really doing anything special for training now. I did the Marine Corps and NY marathons in Oct/November and I've got an A race I'm shooting for a PR in an April. I've started using Nike Run Clubs training app, for the April race and I've got it setup like an adaptive Hansons. I'm averaging about 40-45 miles a week with a typically long run in the 16-17 mile range. I might add an easy 20 miler to one of my upcoming weekends but that's about it for special stuff for Goofy/Dopey.

Ran 10 this week, a half next week, a back to back 8 and 16 the week after and the last run before vaca is a 20 miler. Compared to last year doing yoga has really helped with recovery. I do it with Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. She has a few runner specific ones which are amaze balls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!