Official 'how to get from point A to point B while at WDW' thread.

what's the best way to get from Art of Animation to Ft. Wilderness for Mickey's Backyard BBQ? And is there a helpful Uber/Lyft option?

what's the best way to get from Art of Animation to Ft. Wilderness for Mickey's Backyard BBQ? And is there a helpful Uber/Lyft option?

Bus to MK then boat to FtW. Uber or Lyft would have to drop you off at the Outpost and then you'd have to take an internal shuttle to the BBQ. (The boat drops you off a short walk from where the BBQ is.)

We'll be going to Chef Mickey's for brunch on arrival day and was thinking of going to MK afterward.
Are we allowed to park at the Contemporary and then walk to MK? Or would it be better to park at MK and walk to the Contemporary? Or should we check on our resort, and regardless if it's ready or not, take Disney transportation from BWV to MK? Would we have to pay for parking at either the Contemporary or MK if we haven't checked in yet?

Another separate question. On another day we'll be at Magic Kingdom and then going to Mickey's Backyard BBQ. I read there's a boat from MK(I assume from the TTC?) to Fort Wilderness. Any idea how long the boat ride may take? Looking at a map of Fort Wilderness, it looks like the boat docks are not too far from where the BBQ is held, so a walkable distance?

I'm also open to other options of getting around. We'll have a rental car if that makes a difference. Thanks for any input!

Are we allowed to park at the Contemporary and then walk to MK? Or would it be better to park at MK and walk to the Contemporary?
No. You can park at the Contemporary only while you’re at the Contemporary. You’d need to move your car after you finish eating. Also, you cannot walk from the TTC (Magic Kingdom parking lot) to the Contemporary. You’d need to take the monorail.

The boat leaves from the Magic Kingdom, not from the TTC. Yes, it’s a great way to get to the BBQ.
Got it. I checked out one of the detailed maps on a sticky and it looks like the boat dock is across from the MK entrance. Thanks!

No. You can park at the Contemporary only while you’re at the Contemporary. You’d need to move your car after you finish eating. Also, you cannot walk from the TTC (Magic Kingdom parking lot) to the Contemporary. You’d need to take the monorail.

Unless you use valet.

Reactions: hvu
Best way to get to HS from Epcot? Is it better to leave from International Gateway or main entrance?
It depends on where in Epcot you are. If you are in the front of the park, there is a bus to DHS. If you're in WS, then exit via the IG, then take the boat or walk.

We'll be going to Chef Mickey's for brunch on arrival day and was thinking of going to MK afterward.
Are we allowed to park at the Contemporary and then walk to MK? Or would it be better to park at MK and walk to the Contemporary? Or should we check on our resort, and regardless if it's ready or not, take Disney transportation from BWV to MK? Would we have to pay for parking at either the Contemporary or MK if we haven't checked in yet?

Another separate question. On another day we'll be at Magic Kingdom and then going to Mickey's Backyard BBQ. I read there's a boat from MK(I assume from the TTC?) to Fort Wilderness. Any idea how long the boat ride may take? Looking at a map of Fort Wilderness, it looks like the boat docks are not too far from where the BBQ is held, so a walkable distance?

I'm also open to other options of getting around. We'll have a rental car if that makes a difference. Thanks for any input!
If you're staying at BWV, you get free parking. But, some have had to pay for parking, then take the receipt to the resort front desk and get a refund. If it were me? I would just leave the car at the resort and take the bus to MK, then walk over to the CR...it's under 10 mins to walk it.
And the boat to FtW is a very nice ride from MK! It drops you just down the path to Pioneer Hall.

Reactions: hvu
If you're staying at BWV, you get free parking. But, some have had to pay for parking, then take the receipt to the resort front desk and get a refund. If it were me? I would just leave the car at the resort and take the bus to MK, then walk over to the CR...it's under 10 mins to walk it.
And the boat to FtW is a very nice ride from MK! It drops you just down the path to Pioneer Hall.

This is only our second trip to Disney and during our first we just stayed near the resort and spent our days in the parks. This will be our first trip trying to resort hop and park hop, so trying to understand the different options out there can be a little daunting! Thank you for the reply!

I think I’m leaning to taking the bus and walking to the CR. It’ll just be another side of Disney I may not otherwise see! And I can see my daughter being so excited to take a boat to the BBQ.

We're going to a 4pm HDDR and then our party wants to go to Epcot after the show (I know MK would be easier but this is what the group wants to do). What is the most efficient plan? Boat to MK and then bus/taxi/Uber to Epcot? Or internal shuttle to Outpost Depot then bus/taxi/Uber. We're staying at POR so I don't think Minnie Vans are an option. I've taken the boat after HDDR and I know it can be a bit of a mob, so I'm wondering if it might be a little faster/easier to shuttle over to Outpost Depot? I don't have any experience with the shuttle buses so I could be way off!

Is there another way that I haven't considered? Any advice appreciated - thanks!

We're going to a 4pm HDDR and then our party wants to go to Epcot after the show (I know MK would be easier but this is what the group wants to do). What is the most efficient plan? Boat to MK and then bus/taxi/Uber to Epcot? Or internal shuttle to Outpost Depot then bus/taxi/Uber. We're staying at POR so I don't think Minnie Vans are an option. I've taken the boat after HDDR and I know it can be a bit of a mob, so I'm wondering if it might be a little faster/easier to shuttle over to Outpost Depot? I don't have any experience with the shuttle buses so I could be way off!

Is there another way that I haven't considered? Any advice appreciated - thanks!
I would take the boat to MK and then the monorail to Epcot.

I would take the boat to MK and then the monorail to Epcot.

D'oh! Forgot about the monorail, thanks! But if memory serves, I'd need to go from MK to TCC for the Epcot monorail, so maybe take the boat to CR to TCC? Might shave off a few minutes...of course, my memory is fairly terrible (hence, forgetting the monorail completely) so I might be remembering it incorrectly...

D'oh! Forgot about the monorail, thanks! But if memory serves, I'd need to go from MK to TCC for the Epcot monorail, so maybe take the boat to CR to TCC? Might shave off a few minutes...of course, my memory is fairly terrible (hence, forgetting the monorail completely) so I might be remembering it incorrectly...

There isn't a boat that goes from CR to the TTC.

There isn't a boat that goes from CR to the TTC.

No, I know that...I meant boat from HDDR to CR, then CR momorail to TCC (although I guess we could catch a bus from CR too). I feel like the boat stopped at CR but I could be wrong.

ETA: yes, looks like there's still a boat from HDDR to CR, so maybe just head there and grab a cab would be the quickest...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!