Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

Just remember, A slower start may allow you to pick up the pace towards the end to make up for it. With too much dodging through traffic at the start you may just end up wasting energy

This is good advice. You're instinct is going to be to bolt out, weave around, and try to get clear of the traffic but that could get you running at a pace you aren't comfortable with and blow up the rest of your run. I'd say just be patient, find a good lane to run in, and say excuse me if necessary to get around others. And like @Keith Tyger said try to get to the front of a wave - they should do wave starts in the last corrals so even if you can't get to the very front of the corral, be at the front of a wave.

Question... are 5 and 10 bib numbers/amount of racers on par close enough with dark Side that we could slooth

My bib is 405XX So I really hope I'm corraled with y'all. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in B only because I've been in B for every rundisney race I've done. My estimated was 8:01-9 min mile (since 8:58 would have been my proof if they'd wanted one.)
We'll have to post what we really get after we pick up bibs!

Ye definitely! Fingers crossed we are in the same one, would be nice to have some chats in the coral before we set off! My mam is running the 5k with us so we will be taking it very easy! Can't believe how close it is now! We leave two weeks today!

Ok, can someone calm my nerves a little bit! This is my first Disney race, I'm running the 10K, so don't know corral assignment yet. My bib number is high so I'm thinking that I'm going to be in one the last corrals. I somewhat expected it since I didn't have a POT to submit but had hoped that I would be in a corral closer to my anticipated pace. I run a 8 min mile on a good day, 9 on a bad day. I'm super nervous because I want to be able to run and I've heard that it's hard sometime to maneuver around the walkers in the later corrals. Can someone with more Run Disney experience put my mind at ease!

From at least .5 mile until the off ramp directly after mile 3, the course is on the very wide, very open World Drive. Yes, you may need to weave a little, but it won't be like navigating thru a park or cone alley with a narrow path. Bide your time until after the Speedway (Hess) station and find your groove.

I'm excited! This is my first RunDisney event and only my third half marathon. I started getting serious about running only last year and have done all my halfs this year. I'm doing my first full marathon in January in Houston (same weekend as the Disney Marathon--I'm somewhat regretting not doing that one :) ). This will be my first run with corrals and I'm excited about it. In all the other races I've run (not many, admittedly) people are supposed to line up by pace, but in my experience people NEVER do. I've never been in a race where I'm not weaving around walkers for the first mile regardless of the pace group I've lined up with.

Having said that, I'm treating this half marathon as a training run for my marathon and not a race that I'm looking to get a PR on (does anyone really do that????). I will likely run a little slower than my corral assignment would indicate (hoping for no more than 4-5 minutes slower). My plan will be to start near the back of my corral and hopefully not annoy too many gunners.

Also, I'm new to this board. I have been lurking for a while but I'm only beginning to post. This seems like a great community!

I entered between 8:00-9:00min/mile

It's hard to know until you get the actual bib assignment but I would think that would put you up in one of the corrals north of the middle. My husband had either the 9-10 or 10-11 min range (I forget) and his 10k bib is 308XX so in the front 900 people (who aren't running the challenge) if the fastest person has bib 30001. So I'd think that would be solidly in maybe C, maybe B once you factor in the challenge bibs??? And you had a faster time. This is all just pure speculation.

I'm excited! This is my first RunDisney event and only my third half marathon. I started getting serious about running only last year and have done all my halfs this year. I'm doing my first full marathon in January in Houston (same weekend as the Disney Marathon--I'm somewhat regretting not doing that one :) ). This will be my first run with corrals and I'm excited about it. In all the other races I've run (not many, admittedly) people are supposed to line up by pace, but in my experience people NEVER do. I've never been in a race where I'm not weaving around walkers for the first mile regardless of the pace group I've lined up with.

Having said that, I'm treating this half marathon as a training run for my marathon and not a race that I'm looking to get a PR on (does anyone really do that????). I will likely run a little slower than my corral assignment would indicate (hoping for no more than 4-5 minutes slower). My plan will be to start near the back of my corral and hopefully not annoy too many gunners.

Also, I'm new to this board. I have been lurking for a while but I'm only beginning to post. This seems like a great community!

Welcome to the forums and the runDisney world! Good luck with your races.

It's hard to know until you get the actual bib assignment but I would think that would put you up in one of the corrals north of the middle. My husband had either the 9-10 or 10-11 min range (I forget) and his 10k bib is 308XX so in the front 900 people (who aren't running the challenge) if the fastest person has bib 30001. So I'd think that would be solidly in maybe C, maybe B once you factor in the challenge bibs??? And you had a faster time. This is all just pure speculation.
Thank you for this, I feel a little better reading this! My number is pretty close to your husband's.

The best advice I can give is get to the start early. That way you can hang out and go about your pre-race routine and keep an eye on your corral. You want to be at the front of it. As soon as people start to fill in, enter it and get to the front. There is usually a 1 to 2 minute gap between different letter corrals. If you are at the front, you will have little traffic from your corral and the prior corral will have started to spread out making dipping, dodging, diving, ducking and dipping again a little easier. Disney races are large and harder to get a fast start when deep in a corral, but with good vision and picking your moves ahead of time, a quick start is possible. Just remember, A slower start may allow you to pick up the pace towards the end to make up for it. With too much dodging through traffic at the start you may just end up wasting energy and the ability to speed up in the 2nd half of the race. It is usually pretty easy going once you get through the first 1/2 -3/4 mile at most.
This is great advice, thank you!

Trying to decide if we should buy post-race party tickets or buy tickets for the Star Wars dessert party. My wife is running the challenge so has a free ticket but me and the kids would have to buy one, and at $75 a person it costs roughly the same as the dessert party. Was the party crowded last year? Don't really want to pay $75 per person to wait in long ride lines.

Trying to decide if we should buy post-race party tickets or buy tickets for the Star Wars dessert party. My wife is running the challenge so has a free ticket but me and the kids would have to buy one, and at $75 a person it costs roughly the same as the dessert party. Was the party crowded last year? Don't really want to pay $75 per person to wait in long ride lines.
It was crowded when it started, especially the back area of World Showcase. Front area was more empty, some kiosks were like no lines where say Germany in the back had a line, which looked to move quick though.
Crowds I read did thin out more so in the last hour of the party. It was fun since I had the included "free" ticket, but I wouldn't pay for it if I already had park tickets for during the day. So if it was the only chance I would be visiting EPCOT the whole trip then I would get the tickets for it. There's only so many rides open too, I posted back a more detailed list on last years guide with what was open (https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-wine-and-dine-2017-thread.3563111/page-51#post-57961574)
. Character lines were long I thought but if you pre line up for one before it gets started that saves some time from the actual party. Also, I was just pooped from the race(s) so that's a thing to consider will everyone be awake enough to enjoy it.

I'm in F and was for Dark Side as well. There were just a lot of people there. And we thought we were at the front, but it was really the side so that was a little confusing.
Yes, that was weird! I thought I was at the back of the corral, but wound up being on the far right side and still had one or two more waves start after I did (in F.) I'd like to think I remember how and why that was so as to use it to my advantage for W&D , but... yeah. That was pretty early in the AM lol!

Ok, can someone calm my nerves a little bit! This is my first Disney race, I'm running the 10K, so don't know corral assignment yet. My bib number is high so I'm thinking that I'm going to be in one the last corrals. I somewhat expected it since I didn't have a POT to submit but had hoped that I would be in a corral closer to my anticipated pace. I run a 8 min mile on a good day, 9 on a bad day. I'm super nervous because I want to be able to run and I've heard that it's hard sometime to maneuver around the walkers in the later corrals. Can someone with more Run Disney experience put my mind at ease!
First, we have no idea what the span is for 10K bibs, so a "high" number doesn't mean anything on its own. I saw where you entered a fast pace, so I highly doubt you'll be in the back corral/s, but in general, you'll find that the 5Ks and 10Ks have lots of us slower folks in them and there probably will be points where you have no choice but to slow down some. I think just being aware of that and expecting it is helpful. Beyond that, starting at the front of your corral will gain you some open space to pull ahead of the slower folks.

Question... are 5 and 10 bib numbers/amount of racers on par close enough with dark Side that we could slooth
We could if there were any published break-downs of the DS corrals! But since rD doesn't do that, there really isn't any way that I know of.

Is there a way to look at bib number without printing waver cause you can't do that on your phone
Yep, it'll ask you to "Print" so just say yes to that - it doesn't really mean print, but opens the waiver so you can view and/or print it.

It was crowded when it started, especially the back area of World Showcase. Front area was more empty, some kiosks were like no lines where say Germany in the back had a line, which looked to move quick though.
Crowds I read did thin out more so in the last hour of the party. It was fun since I had the included "free" ticket, but I wouldn't pay for it if I already had park tickets for during the day. So if it was the only chance I would be visiting EPCOT the whole trip then I would get the tickets for it. There's only so many rides open too, I posted back a more detailed list on last years guide with what was open (https://www.disboards.com/threads/official-wine-and-dine-2017-thread.3563111/page-51#post-57961574)
. Character lines were long I thought but if you pre line up for one before it gets started that saves some time from the actual party. Also, I was just pooped from the race(s) so that's a thing to consider will everyone be awake enough to enjoy it.
Thanks for the detailed response. We'll be at Disney for 10 days and will have plenty of time to visit Epcot. We also are getting up early Monday morning to head over to Universal for the day, so not sure I'm going to want to stay out till 1 a.m. Decisions, decisions.

I haven't done the after party for Wine and Dine but I did the Star Wars dessert party at Dark Side weekend. It was ok but I can't say that anything really stood out about it. There are meet and greets but I think those open during normal park hours. Could be wrong about that. Guess biggest benefit was the dedicate viewing spot for the fireworks/projection show. I was also solo so doing the dessert part may be more enjoyable with the family.

Thanks for the detailed response. We'll be at Disney for 10 days and will have plenty of time to visit Epcot. We also are getting up early Monday morning to head over to Universal for the day, so not sure I'm going to want to stay out till 1 a.m. Decisions, decisions.
I think if I had kids and the late night I would go dessert party. Honestly there weren't a lot of kids at it last year, I'm not sure if I saw any actually, but I'm sure there were some I just don't remember.

Another question. We are staying at Yacht Club and the course for the 10k goes through the Boardwalk area. I may mosey over to cheer for my wife that morning and wanted to make sure there are no restrictions on standing along the course and cheering for runners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter