Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

I should have added another question: For those who do their last long run 2 weeks out before a half, how many miles do you do for your "long" run the final week? I am debating something in the 6-8 mile range.
My plan calls for 60 min at endurance speed (slow) this weekend (Oct. 22) and 40 min at endurance speed the one after (Oct. 28). The speed (intervals) and duration of my other trainings also diminish (by about 10 minutes) every week from now.

Half-marathoners: What is your longest run you are doing for training and which weekend are you doing it?

This Sunday is my last long run, my plan is a minimum of 12 but if I am feeling good I will push to 13 or even 14. I already have a 12 in the bag this training cycle and I know I personally don't need more than 12 before a race to still complete the half in good shape but I would like to. If I feel good though I will go over 12, which is more for my mental side of the race than the physical!

Same here. Already did a 12 miler. I plan for another 12 or 13 miler on Saturday. For halfs I do better with my last long run about 2 weeks out (but no later!)... 3 weeks is better for me for marathons.

Galloway's finish-in-the-upright-position runDisney training plan calls for 14 miles the weekend. I definitely find the last miles of races easier if I complete a full-race-distance training run. It's surely more mental than physical training for me too, but it works! :)

Half-marathoners: What is your longest run you are doing for training and which weekend are you doing it?

I'm in for the challenge, so I did 5 today, then I'm planning 11-14 miles tomorrow (JG plan says 14 after the 5-miler). I ran a half PR in less than ideal conditions with not too much effort on October 8th, so I know I'm trained. 11 miles seems to be such a mentally hard number for me (I'd rather run 13), so I may quit there, we'll see. For my "taper" (I'm doing a local half 2 weeks after W&D so no real taper) I'll probably do 45 mins Sunday and Tuesday, 30 mins Thursday, then I'm running a local 10K next Saturday...we leave on Monday the 30th but I'm going to try to get 2 miles in before, then possibly 2 miles around the Boardwalk area Wednesday the 1st.

I'm still not sure how far I'll run this Saturday. I ran a trail HM last weekend so it was sort of my long run a week early. I'll probably run at least 8, and if I feel good stretch it out to 10 or 12. I'll then taper back to 3-4 mile runs the two weeks before the race.

I run HMs with a sort of modified Galloway; I walk the first 45-60 seconds of each half mile (after the first half mile of course). I find the shorter run/walk distances don't work as well for me.

Dumb question: how does getting your Coast to Coast work? Did you have to input somewhere in your registration that you would be getting it or is it at the expo pick up (I thought I saw that at Tink)?...

Dumb question: how does getting your Coast to Coast work? Did you have to input somewhere in your registration that you would be getting it or is it at the expo pick up (I thought I saw that at Tink)?...

Just register for a half or challenge on both coasts in a calendar year... show up and on the 2nd half of your coast2coast theres a checkmark next to your name that says if you're getting the C2C. I never had to do anything special... same thing for Kessel.

I'll tell you what. That medal haul at Dark Side this year was epic... 6 medals in one weekend. 5k, 10k, half, challenge, Kessel & c2c!

I don't see why you couldn't make the BOG ADR if you're going straight to the park. I do remember from when I stayed that the Contemporary that it shared a bus with FW and WL so that might slow you down some though. Even if you're a little late, I believe they would still seat you. Would be a long wait for Epcot to open right?

It would be a longer wait if I decided to do Epcot instead, & in that case I'd probably take as much time as possible to enjoy the 10K/get character pics. I need to decide if FEA/Soarin' worth it vs. BOG/MK. :scratchin
AK would definitely be worth it, but I don't think I actually want to experience R/D for FOP. :scared1:

I have no idea how long to run on Saturday. I managed just over 10 this past Saturday, and I have a 15K on the 28th. :crazy2:

It would be a longer wait if I decided to do Epcot instead, & in that case I'd probably take as much time as possible to enjoy the 10K/get character pics. I need to decide if FEA/Soarin' worth it vs. BOG/MK. :scratchin
AK would definitely be worth it, but I don't think I actually want to experience R/D for FOP. :scared1:

I have no idea how long to run on Saturday. I managed just over 10 this past Saturday, and I have a 15K on the 28th. :crazy2:

Where's is your 15k? I've got one that weekend too in Chicago.

Just register for a half or challenge on both coasts in a calendar year... show up and on the 2nd half of your coast2coast theres a checkmark next to your name that says if you're getting the C2C. I never had to do anything special... same thing for Kessel.

I'll tell you what. That medal haul at Dark Side this year was epic... 6 medals in one weekend. 5k, 10k, half, challenge, Kessel & c2c!

Don’t they have to have some way to know you’re getting the medal after the race? When I got mine, they gave me a wristband. That was 2016 though and my second race was in CA so not sure how FL handles C2C.

Don’t they have to have some way to know you’re getting the medal after the race? When I got mine, they gave me a wristband. That was 2016 though and my second race was in CA so not sure how FL handles C2C.
In 2014 I remember getting a wrist band for the DDD Challenge. I would hope it would be the same for C2C. We shall see.

Yes they do give you a wristband.. I forgot how annoying that was to wear all weekend.. one for Kessel and one for C2C

My sister and I do 10-12 two weeks out, then 5-6 the weekend before. Seems to be plenty. For my first HM I was SO worried about finishing that I went up to 13-14 in training. Really not necessary, at least not for me. In my old age (!!!), less is more. :)

I am doing 13.5 tomorrow morning, then probably 5-6 next Saturday, with 2.5 - 3.5 mile runs 2-3 days during the week, with nothing on the Thursday and Friday before the challenge. I think it all depends on the person and how they like to do things, with nothing being the "right" strategy for all. Galloway has it for 14 this weekend.

We have the Parisian breakfast (9am start) booked after the 10K. We are staying at the Beach Club and I expect it will take us 1.5 hours to complete the 10k once we get to the starting line. For half we are in corral F.

Ideally we want to go back to the resort, shower and meet up with family and head to breakfast together. I understand that we can take the bus back to the resort but not sure how often they run. Is there any other way to get back? Are there Taxi's or can you uber or lyft? Thanks!

FWIW my plan is 12 the weekend before, but at about a minute slower than race pace so I'll have about the same time on my feet but with less stress (assuming weather cooperates). In general I'm trying to do the bulk of my mileage slower than race pace with a couple sprints along the way (5k a few weeks ago and a 10k last weekend) to check my progress.
It's a Higdon plan simplified to fit my work and travel schedule. Luckily my work lets me wear running shoes so all I have to do is pack running clothes to keep up with training when traveling.
Good luck all, we're almost there!

We have the Parisian breakfast (9am start) booked after the 10K. We are staying at the Beach Club and I expect it will take us 1.5 hours to complete the 10k once we get to the starting line. For half we are in corral F.

Ideally we want to go back to the resort, shower and meet up with family and head to breakfast together. I understand that we can take the bus back to the resort but not sure how often they run. Is there any other way to get back? Are there Taxi's or can you uber or lyft? Thanks!

The buses run pretty regularly from my experience. I've had them leave with only 6 or 7 people on them and I don't think I ever waited more than maybe 15 minutes max(really don't think it was even that long). You'd have to walk over to the front of Epcot to catch a taxi i'd guess. Not sure if there would be any there before park opening. Same think with Uber but I guess you could at least schedule those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter