Official Wine & Dine 2018

I just snagged a room at the Polynesian for Saturday night before the race. What is the best way to get to the corrals from there? Is the monorail running at that time or can I walk over to the lot? I'm really excited to be staying there. We are getting close to race time now.

The half marathon looks like it will start in the MK parking lot so walking to the start is your best bet.

I just snagged a room at the Polynesian for Saturday night before the race. What is the best way to get to the corrals from there? Is the monorail running at that time or can I walk over to the lot? I'm really excited to be staying there. We are getting close to race time now.

You can walk or take the bus. There should be signs and/or people to point you in the right direction if you decide to walk.

For 10K and half we walked last year and will do the same this year. :thumbsup2

Just run your own race at your own pace and don't worry about anyone else. If you start together and she falls back just wish her luck and keep with your original plan. You don't have to adjust your pace to run with anyone else if you don't want.

As for the rest, I'd make sure they know what they need to do and know. It might be time for a "come to Jesus" talk.
Agreed. I've had plans many times to run with someone, but because of unknown reasons I've either said go on ahead I'll see you at the end, or the reciprocate. No hard feelings on any one's part. However, for someone to expect your planning for them (including meals, FP, tickets, costumes, etc.) to which nothing was agreed to previously definitely needs to be told how to and go do with the option to join up (if available at this point in time). My mind went to the expense of it all, and what happens if your "running buddy" isn't agreeable to choices that you've made? Let's no even get into the inviting another into the room without consultation. Granted most rooms can fit 4/5 without too much tripping over stuff and one another, but to not even ask first... It's time to politely say something for sure.

Just run your own race at your own pace and don't worry about anyone else. If you start together and she falls back just wish her luck and keep with your original plan. You don't have to adjust your pace to run with anyone else if you don't want.

As for the rest, I'd make sure they know what they need to do and know. It might be time for a "come to Jesus" talk.

So I'm completely in agreement on the travel planning side. That needs a discussion.

I will offer a counter point on the running together piece. During one of my fist races at Disney I had planned to run with a friend. During the last mile I ran while he walked some. The couple minutes difference in finish time was not worth not finishing together. I would encourage you to talk with your friend prior to race day to encourage her to train. It will be a much more pleasant experience for her if you do. So long as it's not wildly different I would also probably be more inclined to stay with friends than to leave them so long as the pace isn't wildly different. (IE I would be willing to slow down a minute or 2 a mile, but not 5).

I'll agree you should run your race, but be sure it is discussed ahead of time and you both are ok with splitting up if need be. When DH and I ran our full marathon, he was in it to see what he could do. After some aches and pains in training, I was in it to be able to say I did it. He left me about halfway through but we had expected that so we were fine with it. He finished about 28 minutes sooner than me and we were both happy with the results and celebrated what we did.

As for not training, I was up to 10 miles in the late spring/early summer however since early July I have been sidelined with an injury. I'm still hoping to get through the half but my training as of last weekend was 5.25 miles with only 4 of that being running(more like jogging/trotting). I know that is nowhere near where I should be right now, but I'm still hoping to pull it off. Hopefully your friend will be a late bloomer too. ;)

So I mostly just lurk around the board here but can't wait for W&D weekend. It will be my wife and I's 1st RunDisney race (I'm doing the challenge and she's doing the 10K).

Anyway the real reason I'm posting is that after much internal debate, I will be canceling our reservation for 2 for California Grill Brunch at 12:15 on 11/4. I know this should probably go in the ADR cancellation thread, but I wanted to give a fellow RunDisney participant the chance to get it to celebrate. I plan to cancel at noon eastern time, approximately 40 minutes.

GOOD LUCK and see you all in November.

UPDATE: CANCELED, Hope some one got it and enjoys :)

Last edited:
Obviously they change and are unpredictable...but does any one have a list of characters that were out during last year's 10K and half? Or a list of characters that are "typically" out for W&D in the past?

Obviously they change and are unpredictable...but does any one have a list of characters that were out during last year's 10K and half? Or a list of characters that are "typically" out for W&D in the past?
I believe a couple of people posted it on this thread back in March? April? I know it was around registration time.

I can say 10ks both years they had them:
2016:
Expo: Lumiare
Start/Finish: Chef Minnie/Mickey, Remmy/Emile,Lumiare, Goofy/Donald
On course: Penguin Waitors, Flick/Atta, Gepetto/Pinocchio, Vacation Genie, Baseball Chip/Dale (also 2 sets of stilt walkers, Sebastian as a parade performer not walk around, grape stomper streetmosphere actors)
-/-
2017:
Expo: Chef Mickey
Start/Finish: chef Mickey/Minnie, Chef Goofy, Chef Donald, Chef Chip/Dale
On course: 3 Pigs, Oswald, Vacation Genie, Keni/Koda (also ToT bell hops and Grape Stompers)

11 miles done! It wasn't too bad since it only rained a bit at the start. Though once I turned to head back the last 5.5 was almost all against a steady wind that I could have done without. At least it wasn't cold, which I probably won't be able to say for the next two.

I think I may skip and/or adjust for the last run and not do the 14. I'm doing the half, so no worry about the other races. I signed up for a 5k the day of the last run and have thought about tacking on some but not all the miles to that run either before or after. I'll see how the next long run goes before I decide.

I say this because the last two half's I did, I wasn't able to fully train before them due to being sick or muscle issues I had to deal with that weren't really injuries but caused me to shorten/skip stuff, and I wasn't that far off my continual goal of sub 3.

I'm on a quest to do holiday run's with medal's hence the timing of this one. I couldn't find Easter so that's on my list for next year along with new years, though I have to decide if a resolution run counts since the one run I've found so far on the 1st doesn't have a medal. I need to look some more though. Then I'll work on the random holidays along with Memorial Day and Labor Day which will probably be harder.

I am participating in my first Disney half marathon at the 2018 W&D! YAY!!! Because of poor planning on my part and my impulsive urge to test my running skills ahead of next January's marathon weekend, I signed up late and am running this race by myself and wondering if there are another folks in the same boat? Also, here's a shout out to any gay men out there running the race? Would be nice to have some company.

How does one get their medals through airport security? I'm thinking that I took them out of my personal item bag and put them in a bin all their own and then carried them on-board. I really don't see myself trusting or rather risking the airlines with them in my checked bag the way they lose luggage. It would be my luck my bag would go missing with something I worked so hard for and earned. Something irreplaceable or rather hard to do so. But then again, I really don't remember going through security with them either. Obviously its been a while.

How does one get their medals through airport security? I'm thinking that I took them out of my personal item bag and put them in a bin all their own and then carried them on-board. I really don't see myself trusting or rather risking the airlines with them in my checked bag the way they lose luggage. It would be my luck my bag would go missing with something I worked so hard for and earned. Something irreplaceable or rather hard to do so. But then again, I really don't remember going through security with them either. Obviously its been a while.
I always have them in my carry on and have never had a problem. Even the sharp pointy goofy one from this years marathon weekend.

just leave them in your bag. Electronics and liquids / pastes etc. are what needs to come out of the bag

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!