Oh, Misery!

mikesmom

<font color=9999FF>Never pool hops without a licen
What a mess! DS started college this year and I thought it would be great if just he and I ran down to WDW for a few days after his finals were over and he came home. Kind of a re-connect trip. Plus we each had one month left on APs. So, at 11 months I made ressies at BWV for 12/16-20.

Two weeks after plans were finalized, DH tells me that a seminar he runs every year would be winding up in our town on 12/17 and that all the instrustors were REALLY looking forward to the dinner party I have always given for them when they are here. (18 people for dinner - last time was 2 years ago). Good grief, I was supposed to be gone. Sooo, I called MS and they were very helpful switching all the ressies to 12/18-12/22. I also made ressies for MVMCP as soon as they were available - feeling pretty smug the last few weeks as I can't help but notice rooms are pretty much sold out for December.

So I called SW yesterday to get the plane trip firmed up and 12/22 is a blackout date! This means I can't use Frequent flyer miles to go (actually we can use them to go, but not come back). Also means the fares available are sky-high! Aaargghhh! We are dead ducks. This totally blind sided me as SW hardly ever has blackout dates. Also with college fees, we really can't afford this trip if we actually had to pay anything. To miss the blackout dates I either have to move the return back to 12/20, giving us exactly one full day and 2 nites at WDW, move the whole trip back, which is probably impossible room-wise, or stay an extra day (Sunday is not a blackout day for some reason), which is probably also a problem for rooms.

To add to frustration, when I called MS Tuesday the BWV computers were down, at least 'til today. Good grief! Any ideas?

I feel for you! How frustrating!

The only ray of hope I can give you is that if you extend your trip by one day and return on sunday, that would mean adding a saturday night to your stay, right? The chances are higher of you being able to add a friday or saturady night to your stay than a weekday because of the higher points cost.

OR I have an even better idea... my husband and I do this all the time. To save points, we often check out on a friday (after a long trip of almost 2 weeks usually) to save that last weekend of points. Friends of ours who live in orlando always complain because they can hang out on fri and sat nites, but we are always leaving friday afternoon, so we came up with a compromise.

Basically, we check out on friday, spend the whole day doing stuff at WDW and night at PI and then that night we drive up to the airport and get a cheap hotel room near there. Through priceline you can get a 3* hotel for around $30-40, to me it's not like switching resorts mid trip, we just pack an overnight bag for that one night so we're not rooting around in the luggage, and we generally spend around 8 hours in the hotel, literally just to sleep, and catch the first flight out it is humanly possible to catch the next day (generally around 10-11am! hehe). You could do this and return on sunday instead of saturday for only $40 or so.

Lisa

I like Lisa's idea. It would get you home early on Sunday too.

I say leave the phone number of a good pizza place that delivers and a stack of paper plates and napkins on the kitchen table. Get ahold of MS and get back your original reservations and book the airfare!

Called MS yesterday to try and change my ressies back to12/16-12/19. Wonder of wonders, they had it available! So, we've changed back - MS is so patient.

I was really tempted to take Lisa F's advice and extend the stay at an offsite motel, but it's not just the room, it's the car, the parking back at the home airport and the meals during the trip. We really don't have cash to spare with the college costs. We're a day less with this ressie, but the DVC is paid for, of course, the air tickets are free and we're on APs, so it's virtually no cost except for 3 days parking and rental car. Three days should be enough to relax, tour the Christmas decorations and talk.

As for the dinner for 20 people, someone else will take a turn and I'll catch up next year. (Couldn't delay it, most of these folks are from out-of-town - WAY out of town)

Yippee!!:bounce:

Good for you...I would have introduced the spouse to the stove, refridgerator or a good caterer. Have a great trip!

Not parking at DVC, but parking at the airport in our departure city. We live 75 miles from the nearest airport so taking a cab is not an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter