Oh no, better pack a poncho

Vicki Rickerd

Mouseketeer
Headed down to Florida in a couple weeks and the 4 days before we leave show a 40% chance of rain, so we want to be prepared in case it is that way for our whole trip. We know in the summer months an afternoon storm is par for the course. Is this the kind of rain in February too or is it a rain all kind of day kind of rain? We have some cheesy ponchos from a few years back that we can throw away, but if its going to be an all day kind of a thing, does anyone have some better options on reasonable ponchos to buy? Thanks

Maybe just go with light rain jackets since it's not a stifling hot time of year? The thing with the ponchos is that you basically have 2 options--to throw them away every time, which is so wasteful; or deal with trying to fold up them up once the rain stops, find a way to store them in your bag without getting anything else wet or taking up a ton of space, then unfold them back at your resort and attempt to dry them so they don't get gross.

Headed down to Florida in a couple weeks and the 4 days before we leave show a 40% chance of rain, so we want to be prepared in case it is that way for our whole trip. We know in the summer months an afternoon storm is par for the course. Is this the kind of rain in February too or is it a rain all kind of day kind of rain? We have some cheesy ponchos from a few years back that we can throw away, but if its going to be an all day kind of a thing, does anyone have some better options on reasonable ponchos to buy? Thanks
In Florida, two weeks out might as well be two years out for weather forecasting. Wait until the night before you leave to check the forecast.

I would just use the ponchos you have. It’s way too far out for an accurate idea of what the weather will be, temperature and precipitation wise.

We personally prefer to just use Disney ponchos. They last forever (we still have yellow ones!) and if we forget them we buy new ones if we need them. I personally wouldn’t buy anything else in advance.

Maybe just go with light rain jackets since it's not a stifling hot time of year? The thing with the ponchos is that you basically have 2 options--to throw them away every time, which is so wasteful; or deal with trying to fold up them up once the rain stops, find a way to store them in your bag without getting anything else wet or taking up a ton of space, then unfold them back at your resort and attempt to dry them so they don't get gross.
Same problem with rain coats, though. I hate wearing them when I don't have to and they don't fold up well.

Re: the original question, I'd just bring the ponchos and some oversize ziplock bags.

Several years ago, I bought the best rain panchos that I have ever used. I think I got them on Amazon, but I couldn't find them when I looked to link it to this post. I attached a picture instead. Maybe you can find something similar at a camping store.

What I like most about them is they do not cling to you like the cheap ones do and they don't fly around from the wind either. I've used the one pictured on several Disney trips and a few cruises (including Alaska). I've never had a problem folding it back up into the pouch it comes in. As a plus-sized person, I can also say that it's OSFA designation held true for me. Some of the details of label (which is sewn on to the "stow bag" (i.e. pouch) - and says something about the quality): Draw String Hood, Soft Interior Lining, and Machine Washable.

IMG_3885.JPG

I hate ponchos but I have an umbrella that is always in the suitcase and goes with me no matter where I travel to. It's good to be prepared and I expect to have rain at some point when going to WDW.

I would bring light rain jackets. That way you are covered if it gets cold, if it rains or if it gets cold and rainy.

We use the super cheap disposable ponchos. You can get them from Walmart for $0.97 a piece. While I hate being wasteful, I also don't want to schlep 7 wet ponchos if there's a morning rain storm for the rest of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!