Oh no! Where did the wine go? A food and wine dining report. FINAL SwoClassic and Parisian Breakfast

Your review takes me right back to the divine experience that is il mulino. That rigatoni! The eggplant! The vino! The ambiance! If I was a downer about the previous post it's only because there are delightful experiences like this to compare it to. I can't tell you how much I'd love a visit to Il Mulino right now... those meatballs, the bread, the dessert :cloud9: take me away!!!

I can't wait to hear how you enjoy the bubbles brunch. The bubble lounge was the best part of the food and wine classic imo.

We love Il Mulino. This totally made up for the rest of the day's food. I could totally go for some of that pasta this very minute, as I am trying to cut down on carbs this year, and had succotash for dinner. No comparison to the beauty of Il Mulino.

Which day did you go to the Classic? We were there on Friday. The Bubbles Lounge was heavenly! I can't wait to go again next year, then the Bubbles Brunch. I love bubbles of all sorts.

So I thought I was following your report, and somehow I wasn't so I'm just getting caught up now!

Imagime my horror, yes horror sitting down at a table with no wine glass! No one told me the format had changed. The price certainly hadn't decreased. Where was the wine!? There was no wine to be given. No wine rep was present. The demo this year was only the food with NO WINE. This was so wrong on so many levels.

They should definitely lower the price (and tell people) if they change something that much.

Afterwards, we got some Ghirardelli drinking chocolate and looked at the beautiful chocolate sculptures.

Yum!

With the extra passholder discount we decided you add it to the trip.

I miss the extra discount already, that was so awesome when we went to Jiko to get that little extra bit off.

So I thought I was following your report, and somehow I wasn't so I'm just getting caught up now!

They should definitely lower the price (and tell people) if they change something that much.

Yum!

I miss the extra discount already, that was so awesome when we went to Jiko to get that little extra bit off.
I feel like I am being such a whiner, but they should lower the demo price. I won't be doing those next year.

Thanks for following along!!

Wow, your Il Mulino meal looks amazing. We've only tried it once and just shared an app or two, so clearly I've been missing out. Between you and Ariane and the awesome reviews we definitely need to get there!

Wow, your Il Mulino meal looks amazing. We've only tried it once and just shared an app or two, so clearly I've been missing out. Between you and Ariane and the awesome reviews we definitely need to get there!

You really should go to Il Mulino. Everything there is wonderful.

Wednesday was our moving day. We were leaving the Hilton Tuscany Village and transferring to Boardwalk Villas. This was not going to be a park day for us, so we took our time getting out of those fantastic beds and checking out. Our room wasn't ready at Boardwalk Villas, so we decided to head to Disney Springs for some lunch. Also, I was meeting a friend from High School I hadn't seen in years at DS.

Our lunch was at one of my favorites Morimoto Asia. I am so sad that Japanais in Chicago closes. I am a huge Morimoto fan.

We started with a carafe of Saki Sangria. This stuff has a real tropical flavor to it. We got about 6 glasses out of this baby. So nice on a hot afternoon. Even though the prices have increased over the past year, this sangria is still a great Deal.
Morimoto-Asia-6.jpg
We started off with a sushi appetizer. We got a spicy tuna roll. Joaquin got a lunch Box, so he got California roll. These were pretty basic but very good. He also got Miso soup.
morimoto-asia.jpg
Since I had already eaten duck ramen at Skipper Canteen, I decided to try a different Ramen noodle dish. Spicy Chashu Pork Ramen - soy flavored broth, egg noodles, roasted pork, soy marinated egg, scallions. This was so flavorful! The broth was rich from the pork. I typically only like my egg yolks if they are completely well done. These yolks are almost well done, but when removed from the whites and stirred into the broth, it adds another dimension of creaminess and richness to that already flavorful broth. The meat was tender and without fat. The mushrooms were wonderful. I liked the wood ear mushrooms as opposed to ordinary ****ake or buttons. These noodles are perfect. They are just soft enough to eat with chopsticks and slurp them into your mouth. I know it sounds disgusting, but it is the correct way to eat ramen.What made the dish spicy was the addition of what appeared to be chili garlic oil. I was in total Ramen heaven.
20170603_125310-576x768.jpg
Mike finally got on board the Ramen train and tried Tonkotsu Ramen - rich pork broth, egg noodles, roasted pork, soy marinated egg, woodear mushroom, pickled ginger. The mushrooms were much more prominent here, and it was very good and filling.

The rest of our party had Orange chicken. Sally was able to get a child's portion, as portions here are really big and her appetite is not. The fried chicken was very crunchy. The sauce had a great Orange flavor. Everyone approved.
menu_item_image_1160.jpg
We had a great lunch. I then went to meet my friend from high school. It was great catching up. Of course, a trip to Sprinkles was in order. I didn't take pictures, but we got the black velvet cupcakes. Rich dark chocolate. Yummy!
FB_IMG_1511837656880_1-576x768.jpg

Last edited:

Once we got our text that the room was ready, we headed over to Boardwalk. That meant I could finally get some of my favorite snacks. I ran to the Leaping Horse Libations bar for a Moscato Colada, pina colada mix, Moscato wine and blue Caracau. I love this drink. Nice and slushy and refreshing.
20151029_181723-576x768.jpg

I also ran to Boardwalk Bakery for a chocolate strawberry cupcake. Now my cupcake stash was complete, ready to be snacked on over the next few days.
20151101_231022-768x1365.jpg
Next a little pool time and getting ready for our night out at Flying Fish and our last La Nouba.

I hadn't been to Flying Fish since my birthday 2007, wgich was a total disaster. Service was wierd, not even a Happy Birthday, the food was just ok, we were leaving to drive back home that day, Mike and I were fighting and I finally broke down and cried over the loss if my dog two months earlier. Like cried right in the middle of the restaurant. Like I said, total disaster.

I really wanted to go after the restaurant rehab, and we got the extra annual passholder discount, so we decides to go. How emotional could I get there, after a whole decade, right?

Nothing to worry about. Everything was fantastic! Our server had a bit of a Lurch (think Adams Family) thing going on, as he was tall and lanky with a slow deep voice. He was attentive and made great wine recommendations though. We were happy with our service. Unfortunately, we were a bit rushed this meal because of La Nouba. I wish we could have taken time for wine pairings and dessert. We will go back to do that soon.

My phone was out of charge, so all these photos were from the menu at all ears. Each dish looked exactly like the photo.

Anyways, we started off with soup. The soup of the day was tomato. Little did I know, Joaquin loves tomato soup. Personally I hate it, but he was really very pleased. Mike and I got the lobster piquillo bisque. I am fussy about lobster bisque. I don't like it too creamy or too sweet, and it must have lobster in it. This fit the bill. It tasted wonderful. You could really taste butter, tarragon and lobster paired with the pepper, which gave it a whole other depth of flavor. This clearly had sherry in it, which is a must have for amy lobster bisque IMHO. I have only enjoyed about 4 lobster bisque out of about 20 I have tried in my lifetime. This was number 2. I wish I could have licked the bowl.

On to entrees. Mike and Joaquin had Wood-fired Spanish Octopus, Chilean Sea Bass and Key West Pink Shrimp - Bomba Arroz, Peruvian sweet peppers, house-made chorizo. The octopus had the largest tentacles i have ever seen on a plate. In fact, it had just two large tentacle portions. The octopus 2as so tender, it melted like butter in my mouth. I didn't get a bite of the bass, but they both said it tasted fantastic. The rice was also tasty.
menu_item_image_2250.jpg

I had the Ocean's Bounty Sustainable Fish - harvest vegetable melange, savory potato beurre blanc. This was grouper, which I love. The potato Buerre Blanc was pure buttery goodness. The veggies were crisp, plain with the perfect amount of salt so the veggie taste could shine through. I could get this again.
menu_item_image_2251.jpg

Sally ordered the steak, as she does at least oi nce per trip. She is such a good BFF. She isn't a seafood eater, yet she follows me blindly to all of these seafood restaurants. She always orders the steak, and is always happy. Disney restaurants ate really good about having a non fishy option at all its restaurants. She ate Wagyu Filet Mignon - fingerling potatoes, asparagus, rainbow carrots, demi glace. I tasted it, as she is always good about sharing. Besides, this was a huge steak, and Mike helped her finish it. The steak was very tender and cooked perfectly medium to her taste. The only thing I didn't live was that either the steak or sauce were seasoned pretty heavily with rosemary. That is just an individual taste thing though . I preder rosemary with chicken to beef. Sally loved the rosemary. In fact she likes rosemary so much she gave me a rosemary tree for Christmas to encourage more cooking with rosemary. Mike really liked the steak and sauce too. Just leave me to my fishes please.

menu_item_image_1752.jpg

I am happy we tried this place, and now think more of the many fond memories than that evil birthday dinner. We enjoy this place and will go again, since we stay at our home resort Boardwalk at least a few nights every year.

The next day was pretty lame food wise. We split up for the day. Joaquin went to Universal. Sally had some much desired pool time. Mike and I played golf. Before golf, we wanted a nice breakfast. We headed off to Olivia's Cafe at the Old Key West resort. This is Mike's favorite resort, so we try to stop by often. The resort relaxes him, compared to the hustle and bustle of Boardwalk.

I had been looking forward to a sweet breakfast of Banana Bread French Toast. Years ago we had the banana bread pudding sundae for dessert and loved It. I figured it would have to be the same, right? I ordered It without hesitation. It came with meat, so I chose ham. First, I will start with the good part, ham. Tgis was flavorful and tender, with slight grill marks. It wasn't too salty, which is always my concern with ham. Just perfect. Now, the not so good. The French Toast was a huge disappointment. The banana bread was pretty much the same. The bad part was that it was saturated with syrup then covered with sugar. I do like maple syrup,, but I don't want to eat mushy French Toast that squishes syrup out whenever you take a bite. This was sweet. Really too sweet. The portion was huge. I could barely eat one piece. Mike couldn't even help me finish, as he usually does. Thais would have put him in a diabetic coma!! If you go to Bolivia's and order tgis, get the syrup on the side. It would have made the dish so much better. If you want a total sugar rush overload, you will be in heaven.
32595504661_8e219d87e4_z.jpg
Mike had been looking forward to the crab cake eggs Benedict. I don't make it at home, so if eggs Benedict is available, he will order it. Unfortunately, he was a bit disappointed with this as well. He thought the crab cake was a bit wet and pretty flavorless. I tried it, and the taste was too fishy for me. It tasted like the kitchen had used canned crab meat, but didn't drain it well enough. Mike ate it, though. The key lime hollandaise and perfectly cooked egg made up for the lackluster crab cake.
DSC009881.jpg
Let me just mention the olivia's potatoes. These are perfect, cheesy spud goodness. Olivia' s serves these with their steak at night. So yummy. I kept stealing bites from my sweet hubby, much to his irritation.

Overall Olivia's breakfast was a miss for us. We still like it though for lunch and dinner.

Now, the not so good. The French Toast was a huge disappointment. The banana bread was pretty much the same. The bad part was that it was saturated with syrup then covered with sugar.

So disappointing, that's what I would've picked too.

Let me just mention the olivia's potatoes. These are perfect, cheesy spud goodness. Olivia' s serves these with their steak at night. So yummy.

Those look good :p

Enjoying your review! I, too, was very disappointed with the change in the F&W demos. We noticed immediately that wine was no longer offered, and the selection of chefs they had this year didn't move us to book anything. I noticed all the "famous" chefs are now only doing the big ticket food demos. Very annoying. Your review of La Hacienda has me wanting to book this on our upcoming F&G trip in April. That Parrillada del Mar sounds & looks really good. My husband agreed! We haven't eaten at La Hacienda for quite a while, so I think it's time for a revisit. Also, we've never eaten at Il Mulino before, so maybe we'll give that a try.

So disappointing, that's what I would've picked too.

Those look good :p
I rarely order a sweet breakfast, but when I do I am usually really stoked about it. So disappointing. The banana bread is good so go later in the day and order the sundae. You won't regret it.

Enjoying your review! I, too, was very disappointed with the change in the F&W demos. We noticed immediately that wine was no longer offered, and the selection of chefs they had this year didn't move us to book anything. I noticed all the "famous" chefs are now only doing the big ticket food demos. Very annoying. Your review of La Hacienda has me wanting to book this on our upcoming F&G trip in April. That Parrillada del Mar sounds & looks really good. My husband agreed! We haven't eaten at La Hacienda for quite a while, so I think it's time for a revisit. Also, we've never eaten at Il Mulino before, so maybe we'll give that a try.

So glad you are going to La Hacienda. Both Parrillada platters are great. If it is cold out, the corn soup appetizer is to die for.

You should try Il Mulino too. This is my favorite Italian in Disney World.

Mike finally got on board the Ramen train and tried Tonkotsu Ramen - rich pork broth, egg noodles, roasted pork, soy marinated egg, woodear mushroom, pickled ginger. The mushrooms were much more prominent here, and it was very good and filling.
Ok, I need to stop reading dining reviews because I keep adding new restaurants to my list! At this rate we won't have any time left to go to the parks! That Ramen looks excellent though.

I had the Ocean's Bounty Sustainable Fish - harvest vegetable melange, savory potato beurre blanc. This was grouper, which I love. The potato Buerre Blanc was pure buttery goodness. The veggies were crisp, plain with the perfect amount of salt so the veggie taste could shine through. I could get this again.
I have never had grouper. Is it a milder fish? That meal really does look delicious!

et me just mention the olivia's potatoes. These are perfect, cheesy spud goodness. Olivia' s serves these with their steak at night. So yummy. I kept stealing bites from my sweet hubby, much to his irritation.

Overall Olivia's breakfast was a miss for us. We still like it though for lunch and dinner.
Too bad about your banana bread french toast, that is a definite sugar overload. I like the look of the poached eggs but agree that a fishy crab cake could be really off putting.

Ok, I need to stop reading dining reviews because I keep adding new restaurants to my list! At this rate we won't have any time left to go to the parks! That Ramen looks excellent though.

I have never had grouper. Is it a milder fish? That meal really does look delicious!

Too bad about your banana bread french toast, that is a definite sugar overload. I like the look of the poached eggs but agree that a fishy crab cake could be really off putting.

One place to add to your trip is Morimoto. It's totally worth it.

Grouper is a sweet mild fish with a very meaty texture. It is thick like a steak.

Mike agrees that the poached eggs were perfect. Maybe the regular eggs Benedict is better than the crab cake.

A quick update for another wineless culinary demonstration. This demo was from the executive chef from the Japan pavilion. His dish was a seafood udon. He said that the dish is normally on the menu, so we are excited to visit Tokyo Dining our next trip, as we have never eaten there. I would order the is in in a heartbeat.

As I stated earlier in the report, my phone with the photos was boosted shortly after the trip. Only some of my photos were backed up. That's why I have borrowed so many photos this report. Since this dish was on the regular menu, according to the chef, I decided to find a photo on line . The weird thing is, udon is not on the regular menu at Tokyo Dining. It is not on the Teppan Edo menu either. The only menu the udon noodle dish appears is at Katusra Grill, the counter service restaurant. I was able to pull up a photo of the Udon noodles at Katsura Grill. Sure enough, that was the dish at the demonstration. While the dish was really good, and I plan to make it at home, I am now a bit irritated. I Paid $18 for a fast food noodle dish I could purchase for $12. Plus, the bowl we were served was really small. From the photograph I found on line, our serving was about 1/3 the size you get at the counter service restaurant. I feel totally ripped off. Unless they bring the wine back, I won't do another culinary demonstration.

Anyway, here is a photo from Katsura Grill. The noodles were really good. The broth was flavorful without a strong as miso taste. The tempura shrimp on top was also really good.
Tempura-Shrimp-Udon-Katsura-Grill-16_-009.jpg

I hope to finish up this review this weekend. Next up is The Swan and dolphin food and wine classic.

Ugh that is so frustrating! It's really too bad you didn't know in advance, you could've picked up a $12 full size bowl and schlepped over to the festival center and eaten it while listening to the seminar from a bench "outside" the presentation area :rotfl:

A quick update for another wineless culinary demonstration. This demo was from the executive chef from the Japan pavilion. His dish was a seafood udon. He said that the dish is normally on the menu, so we are excited to visit Tokyo Dining our next trip, as we have never eaten there. I would order the is in in a heartbeat.

As I stated earlier in the report, my phone with the photos was boosted shortly after the trip. Only some of my photos were backed up. That's why I have borrowed so many photos this report. Since this dish was on the regular menu, according to the chef, I decided to find a photo on line . The weird thing is, udon is not on the regular menu at Tokyo Dining. It is not on the Teppan Edo menu either. The only menu the udon noodle dish appears is at Katusra Grill, the counter service restaurant. I was able to pull up a photo of the Udon noodles at Katsura Grill. Sure enough, that was the dish at the demonstration. While the dish was really good, and I plan to make it at home, I am now a bit irritated. I Paid $18 for a fast food noodle dish I could purchase for $12. Plus, the bowl we were served was really small. From the photograph I found on line, our serving was about 1/3 the size you get at the counter service restaurant. I feel totally ripped off. Unless they bring the wine back, I won't do another culinary demonstration.

Anyway, here is a photo from Katsura Grill. The noodles were really good. The broth was flavorful without a strong as miso taste. The tempura shrimp on top was also really good.
View attachment 296489

I hope to finish up this review this weekend. Next up is The Swan and dolphin food and wine classic.

My husband loves this Udon noodle bowl that he's had many times at Katsura Grill. That is ridiculous that that is what was demo'd, though. Unbelievable.

Ugh that is so frustrating! It's really too bad you didn't know in advance, you could've picked up a $12 full size bowl and schlepped over to the festival center and eaten it while listening to the seminar from a bench "outside" the presentation area :rotfl:

I wouldn't even have had to do that. Normally there is a tableboutside the demo area that has all the recipes for the demos. Most chefs change a tg8ng or two from the printed menu, but not here. I suspect that is because this was a very basic dish.

My husband loves this Udon noodle bowl that he's had many times at Katsura Grill. That is ridiculous that that is what was demo'd, though. Unbelievable.

I do like the dish, and will stop at Katsura Grill to get it. I agree tgis was ridiculous as the demo. Especially in light of the portion size and price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter