O'hanas vs. Texas de Brazil

DVC California

Good Old DVC
Okay, everytime I fly American Airlines, I see these ads for Texas de Brazil, in their inflight magazines. The restaurant features "Brazilian Gauchos" serving delicious looking BBQ skewered meats in a fashion called Churrascaria. I've been dying to try it but can't justify a trip to Texas just for that.

However, I see that Texas de Brazil will be opening an Orlando location in the Belz Outlet Mall this winter. Well, Yeeha!

My question for the more gastronomically traveled is how Texas de Brazil compares to O'hanas. I know that O'hana's is a polynesian restaurant that also features skewered meats as part of the entree. But is that the end of the similarity? We love O'hanas and make it a must eat restaurant every trip but will having TWO skewer-type restaurants be too much?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

but the "Brazilian" steakhouses - also called Argentinian steak houses I believe - generally have a HUGE variety of meats - including filet - other types of beef - chicken, lamb, etc.

I know the one here in San Antonio also has an incredible salad bar. -

They are also quite pricey - here in it's around 35.00 per person I think -

Ohana would have the Disney flair - the view of the castle .. the other may have better food... laugh...

Hi Pamlet -

Thanks for the feedback. We have a trip to WDW coming up in December and will definatley give it a try. I just noticed that I posted this on the Resorts Board. I meant to post this on the Restaurants Board. Ooops! I'll go ahead and post a copy over there.

Thanks, Steve

My husband has eaten at Texas de Brazil in Memphis recently, and we will be eating at Ohana is less than two weeks, so I'll get him to compare and get back with you (if that's not too late for you). From what I've read and have been told, I would guess that they have different seasonings. I would think the Texas restaurant would be spicey and Ohana would have an Asian flare. I'll let you know. ;)

:Pinkbounc :bounce: I will definately try it if its open when we go in Dec. We loved the food & service at the Texas de Brazil in Aruba last year. It was really good. Hubby & I wished we had discovered it sooner so we could have gone back again before leaving the Island. Can someone give directions on how to get there from OLCC?

zuzanne
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :wave:

I can't speak for Texas de Brazil, but I have eaten at the other Brazilian style place in Dallas. The selection of meats is excellent and they have a great salad bar. Service is excellent and the atmosphere is unique. Prices are high, but not terrible considering the selection of meats and that it is all you can eat. Lunch will set you back $25 per person, dinner is $40 per person, not including drinks.

I have eaten at both, and Texas de Brazil is like O'hana on steroids! I really enjoy both and would eat at both again, but there really is no comparison. Texas de Brazil is worlds better than O'hana in my opinion. The food is better, the service is better, and the atmosphere is better. Texas de Brazil has something like 25 different types skewers going around, each of which I would enjoy as an entree on its own. It's not possible to even try everything. Then there's the salad bar, which is more like a buffet. Add a very extensive wine list and deserts to die for, and the result is nothing short of amazing. I do feel that both restaurants in one vacation would be grilled meat overkill, though. So, if you go to Disney often, I would save one for a future trip. If not, I would do Texas de Brazil.

OK, "meu amigo", the truth is, there isn't anything that compares with a good churrascaria! :teeth:

Ohana's restaurant is very good, I ate there a couple of times, but it doesn't really compare to any of the Churrascaria's I've been too.

Then again, I'm a bit biased when it comes to cuisine. Once I encountered "El Sabor Latino" I was a goner.

If you should happen to head down to SoFlo, try <a href="http://www.rodizioplace.com/">PORCAO's</a> in Miami. It's the best I know of in the states.

Have fun whatever you do...

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if Brasilians believe in cholesterol? We won't think about it if we're going to eat at a churrascaria...

We have a Texas de Brazil down the street from us. We've been once...it was incredibly expensive for A TON of meat. (I'ma vegiterian) It was an experience but I would ahve spend the $$ elsewhere

I contacted the Mall and they say its scheduled to open Dec. 1, but because construction schedules can change rapidly she suggested I contact closer to our Dec. 14th trip for firm opening date info.

My hubby loved the one in Aruba and this really adds another item of don't miss things on our trip. I think I need 2 more weeks...LOL

Suki

:Pinkbounc :earsgirl: :earsboy: :wave:

Having both Texas de Brazil and Fogo de Chao (more authentic -- and better, in my opinion), you cannot compare a Brazilian/Argentinean churrascuria (sp?) to the Asian seasonings at Ohana.

While Fogo de Chao has probably the BEST salad bar I've ever been to, it is ALL about the meat -- which is not heavily seasoned or sauced with anything to spicy (more garlic and black pepper than anything) -- just roasted to perfection!

We dined at Texas de Brazil in Fort Worth in 2001 and then at Ohana in 2002. We enjoyed Texas de Brazil and enjoyed the salad bar there more than the salad at Ohana but other than that our family enjoyed Ohana more. The meats at both places were comparable in quality. There were shrimp at Ohana and I don't remember shrimp at TdB (??? It could be I have forgotten). There was sausage at TdB but not at Ohana but other than that there were similar offerings. Both are great places and pricey (in our experience Texas de Brazil was a higher tab) but I guess we just love the atmosphere of the Polynesian Resort and felt more relaxed at Ohana since we love eating inside Disney World. Enjoy whichever you choose and arrive there hungry!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter