Okay so I'm not really a camping kinda gal... and DH wants a camper, or RV ... so what do you suggest?

I don't agree with that. It's all about how you take care of it. I've heard horror stories about ALL types of campers and water getting in.

Definitely care is part of it. But if you have the soft tent type ends just a brush up against them when wet can mean water in your rv.

Nowadays, popups and hybrids use a different kind of material, it is not “tent” material like is used for a tent, and they do not have the issue you mentioned.

We had a popup for 12 years, never had water get inside, even when the pillows on the beds were right up against the canvas. We took the time to towel dry every bit of canvas on the outside before we folded that thing up. And we kept it in our garage for storage.

When we traded it in on our hybrid, the dealer couldn’t believe how well maintained it was for being 12 years old, he said it looked brand new.

We also towel dry our bunk ends on the hybrid before we close it up. Haven’t had any issues in 2 years.

Wait, we did. The hard side of the trailer had delamination due to faulty glue. Factory took it back and made it right.

That’s my experience anyway.

Ok, so , having had a pop up , i had some bugs. A pop up isnt what you are looking for. They don't seal as well for bugs. For water there fine. And the old boy scout tents that leaked when you touch them dont happen. There water tight.

Hybrids, have tent ends, but are sealed better then pop ups. I dont think they get many bugs inside. This is because of how the canvas is attached to the ends.

Now , hard sided campers, expandables ( which i have) and the slide out ones dont get bugs either. This isnt to say they cant, tour house gets a bug occasionally, but for the most part nothing. I opened the camper up after the winter and found nothing, not even a spider. I had sticky traps all over as i did for my pop up camper. So , if its sealed and maintained you are good to go.

Water. A campers nightmare! But if maintained, you are good, even in a heavy storm. You are correct about sweeping the slide outs, as they will take in debris, and that can damge the roof. Additionally, and this was my fault. My camper is an expandable, so the rear kind bed is a slide out. First time out and i should have know better , i took the slide in when the dew was heavy on it. So the condensation rolled off onto my couch. This lead me to belive i had a leak. It took me a day of checking on stuff to figure it out. Now i have a ladder and a cloth to dry the top if im leaving in those conditions.

Recap, campers dont leak if maintained , if they did we wouldent buy them. Bugs are out there, but usually not inside. And the more tenting, or places for bugs to get in they will. And the ACs on most of these are really cold.

We have a Class B Sprinter motorhome we got great deal on, has large screen side door, large screen back door that opens up and makes it feel like we're outside and lots windows. We recently renovated it to fit our needs, to allow for tons of storage underneath bed. But is definitely not for everyone. We like small and ability to use for day trips also. Will never go big. My nephew who we used to take in our slightly larger Class C, same length, now has grown up and has gone through a couple different types, but always Big. My point is different strokes for different folks and my advice is rent a few different ones, see what you like or if you don't like camping. We love it, will never stop doing it and that comes from someone that is a bit of a clean freak, likes things clean, neat, no dirt. Shoes always left at the door. Love it. We go weekends, day trips, go whenever we can out in the outdoors but feel like we're are in the comfort of our home or in our case an open airy room lol. Campgrounds can be very primitive or like resorts, you have options, rent first and see what works for you.

Last edited:

We have a Class B Sprinter motorhome we got great deal on, has large screen side door, large screen back door that opens up and makes it feel like we're outside and lots windows. We recently renovated it to fit our needs, to allow for tons of storage underneath bed. But is definitely not for everyone. We like small and ability to use for day trips also. Will never go big. My nephew who we used to take in our slightly larger Class C, same length, now has grown up and has gone through a couple different types, but always Big. My point is different strokes for different folks and my advice is rent a few different ones, see what you like or if you don't like camping. We love it, will never stop doing it and that comes from someone that is a bit of a clean freak, likes things clean, neat, no dirt. Shoes always left at the door. Love it. We go weekends, day trips, go whenever we can out in the outdoors but feel like we're are in the comfort of our home or in our case an open airy room lol. Campgrounds can be very primitive or like resorts, you have options, rent first and see what works for you.
With a Class B, if you want to tour around once you're checked into a campground do you just leave everything out on the site?

With a Class B, if you want to tour around once you're checked into a campground do you just leave everything out on the site?
That's funny. Not laughing at you but just thinking we don't have anything out on the site except maybe some wet towels. We don't even put out an awning unless the sun is beating down on the side.

That's funny. Not laughing at you but just thinking we don't have anything out on the site except maybe some wet towels. We don't even put out an awning unless the sun is beating down on the side.
Was just curious about the water and sewer hookup and/or lawnchairs :-)

My advice is to rent.

No idea why you're not a camping gal. But I know that I don't want to tent camp in FL. However, I love tent camping out west.

My advice is to also visit a National Park out west.

Finally, I suggest joining a group that goes camping. I'm heading with my group to Glacier National Park on August 1st.

Basically, before you spend lots of money on a RV, make sure you that you like it and give it a real chance. And make sure you see pretty places.

Also, check out this woman on YouTube. She cracks me up, and she might get you over some of your fears. She's awesome.

Was just curious about the water and sewer hookup and/or lawnchairs :-)
Good point! Water, sewer and electric, yes. No lawnchairs.
We don't have a Class B, so I get why you asked the question before. We're a little too big to head out sightseeing. Once the brake is set, we don't move till it's time to go.

I would think if there moving they would take there sewer pipes with them, or cap them. Otherwise i would be a mad neighbor smelling sewer gas. Most just hook up later as they have holding tanks and you will not need to dump everyday. Tables chairs and mats probably get left at the site. I leave mine, but my camper is there also.

Sometimes we have it varies, usually we do like the others mentioned. We keep it simple. I have small outdoor chairs, I don't overload my site with "stuff". Keep things inside. Our driver and passenger spin to face the back, my second row chairs sit right next to the wide open screen door, and my back door is wide open with a screen, I feel like I am outdoors, like a screened in porch feel. For quick trips I may not even need to take my chairs outside. We have electric bikes to tour around or sometimes we don't hook up immediately, too hard to answer the question, it varies, some campgrounds have buses that take you to town. We have unhooked but try not as last option it's not that bad if we don't have a lot of stuff. We never leave our sewer open like someone says that's crazy. My point is that people need to rent to find what works for them. We love our B but it's not for everyone. Some love big and putting tons of stuff out. My husband laughs at that, well he teases my nephew lol who believes big is better. We like simple, peaceful and the ability to use ours more often even day trips. We enjoy the drive itself to wherever we are going. My advice is rent if you can, try different ones if able.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!