Okay so I'm not really a camping kinda gal... and DH wants a camper, or RV ... so what do you suggest?

We have a teeny tiny travel trailer- 14 ft long total. It's a box on wheels, that has a tip out full size bed, and a pull out kitchen. No bathroom, because I won't camp somewhere that doesn't have facilities. It's an InTech Flyer, and it's perfect for us. Lightweight that my Jeep or his truck can pull it without issues.

And awnings over slide outs keep debris off them. Otherwise it is sweep them off before closing them.

We're really glad we have this, especially when it's been rainy. But occasionally DH will still have to 'broom off' the roll up awning as I'm pulling in the slide otherwise leaves and other debris will get caught in it.

I'll also add, if you're into 'winter camping' you have to be sure any ice on your roll up awning has thawed (or you have a way to break it up) before you try to pull in the slide.

And I'll add some electric awnings automatically rollup if it gets too windy.

j

DH would really like electric awnings, if they'd been available when we upgraded I'm sure we would have gotten them. But the cost of 'upgrading' isn't worth it at this point. We just make sure we never leave the awning out if we're going to be gone.

We're really glad we have this, especially when it's been rainy. But occasionally DH will still have to 'broom off' the roll up awning as I'm pulling in the slide otherwise leaves and other debris will get caught in it.

I'll also add, if you're into 'winter camping' you have to be sure any ice on your roll up awning has thawed (or you have a way to break it up) before you try to pull in the slide.

DH would really like electric awnings, if they'd been available when we upgraded I'm sure we would have gotten them. But the cost of 'upgrading' isn't worth it at this point. We just make sure we never leave the awning out if we're going to be gone.
Are you referring to the patio awning or the slide topper?
I think Denise was talking slide topper maybe?

I want to add that at 6'4, it is a huge ask to get any sort of rv your husband can shower comfortably in. My brother in law is a little shorter, and he would always use the camp site showers when camping. RV showers are just not made for really tall people.

Also, if you are looking at a travel trailer some have ends that you fold out a bit like a tent, and some have solid sides that slide out. The first type are usually referred to as hybrid trailers. I know in the hybrids it is hard to keep the ends cool when it is hot. Makes for not so great sleeping.

To @LovesTimone , this is why you go and check them out first.

Good Point, and one that we are taking seriously.. I have been watching video's about all the different options, different classes, floor plans,... and already I am thinking okay, yes and no to certain aspects, and options... We want to spend some time just looking, walking through them, but with all the rain here, that's on hold... We are still planing on renting something for fall... to see what it's really like...

I want to add that at 6'4, it is a huge ask to get any sort of rv your husband can shower comfortably in. My brother in law is a little shorter, and he would always use the camp site showers when camping. RV showers are just not made for really tall people.

Also, if you are looking at a travel trailer some have ends that you fold out a bit like a tent, and some have solid sides that slide out. The first type are usually referred to as hybrid trailers. I know in the hybrids it is hard to keep the ends cool when it is hot. Makes for not so great sleeping.

OP here,

I have been starting to do some homework...and a king bed and decent shower.. really a decent bathroom.... do seem quite elusive... So we will spend some time studying all the options...

We are all about comfort...and keeping cool, cooler, coolest, and cold is mandatory for us...

DH nor I would have any problems using the camp sites facilities as long as they are clean, and plenty of hot water, and offer some shred of privacy while showering... and it makes sense to use them...

OP here...

So DH has these 3 guys that work for him and they are all into RV'ing and camping, and its a life style for them.. DH said that they are constantly picking at each other about camping and how to camp, and this and that...... 1 man has a Class A Motor home, aka Land Yacht, and its loaded... then next guy a 5th wheel, and the last guy a Travel Trailer... DH was telling me that since he mentioned to them that we might in the distance future get a camper, daily they have to give him pointers, and info on what we need to look for and all kinds of other tips... LOL...

So in reading about 'brooming off" and slide toppers, auto awning, and such... I was talking to DH about it... he said that the guy that owns the "land yacht" ... he said he was tired of having to get on a ladder and sweep, then move the ladder and sweep some more... he said it was aggravating to have to do this constantly... so he made this broom thingy... He made this handle, extends out, at the end he put this tip can pivot, to a 90 angle and he can attach different things like a soft broom ( shop style), dust mop, and even a squeegee to it... DH said that he brought it to work and showed the other guys... so he ended up making the other 2 guys ones, to add to their camping gear... he told DH if we get one that he will make one for us...

As well they told DH that with slide out you need some type of wedge or plastic thingy to go around the slide outs, to keep things like acorns, or seed pods or other small debris from getting into the slide... apparently one of them got acorns or seed pods in the slide track, or something... and it did all kinds of damage... and cost a small fortune to get fixed..

So I'm thinking, if you brush off the debris, leaves and such... you should not have a problem? right..? they are water tight? right?..

So of course this gets me to thinking... what about water or rain? can water blow in during a down pour or storm? what about things like ants? or other outdoor bugs? then the worst thought of all... what about a "S's" ( snakes... I shutter just typing or saying that word)... DH was like stop it... once you see how everything works you will be okay... ... so now I'm skeptical...

Don't get me wrong... I know that there are bugs and "S's"... for goodness sake... I live in Fl. were we have every kinda bug there is... as well as all the other critters and things that go with being outdoors or camping... I just don't want some uninvited guest getting in where my family is sleeping... I'm kinda on high alert right now, my cousin and his wife just had a great big guest, up on the hill right above their cabin, then they have pictures of him on their porch, and sniffing around the garage, even trying to peek in the garage windows.... Yep ... a Bear... so that makes me nervous... now they live on a mountain in the middle of no-where in NC... but still on he was on the porch...

Looking for your wisdom and guidance...

@LovesTimone my advice, don't think about it. Really just don't. this is for the bugs, the snakes and the mice. I have not tent camped yet but that will happen. I love hiking and can't wait to backpack and over night but then i started thinking about sleeping on the ground and not in my RV. I don't think about it.

OP here...

So DH has these 3 guys that work for him and they are all into RV'ing and camping, and its a life style for them.. DH said that they are constantly picking at each other about camping and how to camp, and this and that...... 1 man has a Class A Motor home, aka Land Yacht, and its loaded... then next guy a 5th wheel, and the last guy a Travel Trailer... DH was telling me that since he mentioned to them that we might in the distance future get a camper, daily they have to give him pointers, and info on what we need to look for and all kinds of other tips... LOL...
A: Everybody thinks they have the best type of camper/RV/trailer/coach/etc, LOL But listen to them all as you'd be amazed as to what you can pick up.

So in reading about 'brooming off" and slide toppers, auto awning, and such... I was talking to DH about it... he said that the guy that owns the "land yacht" ... he said he was tired of having to get on a ladder and sweep, then move the ladder and sweep some more... he said it was aggravating to have to do this constantly... so he made this broom thingy... He made this handle, extends out, at the end he put this tip can pivot, to a 90 angle and he can attach different things like a soft broom ( shop style), dust mop, and even a squeegee to it... DH said that he brought it to work and showed the other guys... so he ended up making the other 2 guys ones, to add to their camping gear... he told DH if we get one that he will make one for us...
A: Depending on what type of rig you end up with, it may already have slide toppers and not need sweeping of any kind. I've never had to clean mine off and I don't have a ladder that will get me on the roof anyway. That should probably change though. Even with slide toppers, if you've had some heavy rain it's wise to pull the slides in slowly. The seals should sweep the water off normally, but if somehow there's a lot up there bringing the slides in a little bit at a time gives the sweeps/seals a chance to squeegee the water off so it doesn't just cascade inside.

As well they told DH that with slide out you need some type of wedge or plastic thingy to go around the slide outs, to keep things like acorns, or seed pods or other small debris from getting into the slide... apparently one of them got acorns or seed pods in the slide track, or something... and it did all kinds of damage... and cost a small fortune to get fixed..
A: No idea what they are talking about. All slides should have some type of seal that keeps the outside world out. They can wear like anything else but you seem to be looking for something with comfort involved and that usually means a few more dollars, which means tighter seals and such.

So I'm thinking, if you brush off the debris, leaves and such... you should not have a problem? right..? they are water tight? right?..
A: As stated above, they should have a seal and be watertight-ish. Nothing is perfect and depending on how the wind is driving the rain, you might not be as level as you could be or some other unusual factors, you might get some water inside. That being said it shouldn't be a raging waterfall unless something has failed.

So of course this gets me to thinking... what about water or rain? can water blow in during a down pour or storm? what about things like ants? or other outdoor bugs? then the worst thought of all... what about a "S's" ( snakes... I shutter just typing or saying that word)... DH was like stop it... once you see how everything works you will be okay... ... so now I'm skeptical...
A: See above about being "water tight". Nothing is perfect, even the roof on your house. As far as bugs, well like you said, it's Florida. But, I keep a jug of bug guard, I've used a couple of different commercial brands you can get from the box stores. They usually have a wand and hose attached. I spray around the tires, power cable, fresh water hose and the stinky slinky. Does a good job so far of keeping the bugs out. The stuff is supposed to last for months and most camping trips are far shorter than that. Never had any snakes near the coach that I'm aware of. As you know, I only live a little ways away from you to the south west and I have had several types of snakes in the back yard so it is what it is here.

Don't get me wrong... I know that there are bugs and "S's"... for goodness sake... I live in Fl. were we have every kinda bug there is... as well as all the other critters and things that go with being outdoors or camping... I just don't want some uninvited guest getting in where my family is sleeping... I'm kinda on high alert right now, my cousin and his wife just had a great big guest, up on the hill right above their cabin, then they have pictures of him on their porch, and sniffing around the garage, even trying to peek in the garage windows.... Yep ... a Bear... so that makes me nervous... now they live on a mountain in the middle of no-where in NC... but still on he was on the porch...
A: Well, the bears are mostly to the northwest of us. The panthers are to the far south. Pythons in the everglades (mostly). Alligators, well, as you know they're everywhere in Florida that has fresh water including people's pools occasionally.... So, enjoy life. You're on the right track, LOL!

Looking for your wisdom and guidance...

Answers are bolded in red. I don't claim to be an expert in any way. Just trying to pass along what I've learned along the way. I still read up on what other's have figured out that I don't know.

Last edited:
If you get some sort of soft sided camper you are more likely to get water in than if you get a rig that is hard all the way around. So if that is a worry, skip the hybrids and pop ups.

If you get some sort of soft sided camper you are more likely to get water in than if you get a rig that is hard all the way around. So if that is a worry, skip the hybrids and pop ups.

I don't agree with that. It's all about how you take care of it. I've heard horror stories about ALL types of campers and water getting in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter