OKW First Timer

Thanks for your report. Did you walk over to DS from OKW while you were there? If so, how was the walk?
Sorry for the severe delay. I’m just seeing this now. No, we did not walk from OKW to DS. Had this not been a “park every day” trip, I’m sure we would have. We had intended on going over to SSR at the very least to see the resort for more “research” into our DVC buying decision, but were pretty over all the walking in the heat. We only took the bus to DS on our arrival day. We always go to DS on arrival day so it’s become a pseudo tradition and with it being more crowded and lots of people with marginal mask wearing habits, we steered clear after those few hours on day 1.

OKW has my heart after waking up there on Christmas morning many times. We've stayed at lots of other resorts too, but find at that time of year they're full of people who are not staying but just visiting to dine/explore/shop (pre-COVID of course). OKW is off the beaten track so feels more homely to me, a nice relaxing place after the parks.

I know people get into detail and can write some fun TRs, but I’m going to do my best to post each day for all who care to read but to also act as a journal of sorts to look back upon. Quick background: Wife, myself, daughter (14), and son (12). Been to the various parks in Orlando several times including WDW, but this is our first time on property, let alone DVC. We are seriously considering buying in, so this trip is a “test” of sorts as well. Here goes... DAY 1 (Travel and arrival)

Flight was fine. Actually landed 30min early which meant we sat on the tarmac waiting for our gate to clear for 20min. No big deal. Straight through the airport, bag was already on the turnstile, and off to the ME. Got right on an awaiting bus headed for OKW, SSR, and Fort Wilderness. There were maybe 20 people on the bus and OKW was the first stop so we lucked out there. In person check in (I had some questions so I didn’t want to mobile check in) and had a great experience. They acknowledged our anniversary that we are celebrating this week and gave us our room. FWIW, we got the room we requested via the TouringPlans room request. Awesome. (1bd near HH but not the actual HH “category”). Took a few minutes to get unpacked and settled in and off to DS for some food!

Waited maybe 15min for a bus to arrive that was headed to DS. Aside from a young couple, we were the only ones on the bus. DS was busy-ish, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was crowded. I’ve seen worse. Ate in at Polite Pig (I’ll come back to that), poked around World of Disney and the Christmas Store, and we were back to the resort from there.

Rain came in and it stuck around for several hours so the pool was closed much to the chagrin of our son, but we knew he was tired. He thought the chair/bed was cool so we unfolded it and he laid down. At 4pm. It’s now after 9pm and he’s still out cold lol. He’s a nervous flyer and we got up at 4am for the flight, so...he’s done lol. Daughter and wife enjoyed the big tub (separately...I realize that sounds funny when typed!), wife and I got some late snacks from the Gurgling Suitcase and a couple beverages and now we’re relaxing before bed. Early rise to dad making breakfast (I LOVE that we have a full kitchen) and then the bus to HS for Day 2.

Food/Drink: Polite Pig was excellent. I’ve had a lot of BBQ from various places in the country and I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone really liked their food. The kids pulled pork slider was a little dry, but some sauce on the side fixed that. The standouts were the side of Brussels sprouts and the citrus/lime coleslaw. Back at OKW, we got the fried pickle chips and the BBQ “Nachos”. Using house chips vs tortilla chips was a fun spin, but they weren’t anything spectacular. They were good, but not anything I’d ever bother with again. The pickle chips were ok as well. Again, nothing special, but not bad. Sounds odd to be a fired pickle snob, but the wife and I order them anywhere we go and see them on the menu lol. These were pretty tame. It’s be nice to have a more fun or adventurous dipping sauce at the least. Ranch isn’t my thing but I knew that’s what they came with ahead of time (it says so on the menu) so I knew what I was getting into and can’t complain. For drinks, the wife got the strawberry lemonade and I got some manner of lemonade thing that had bourbon in it. I can’t remember what they were called. They aren’t on the MDE app so I couldn’t look them up. They were just on the board on the wall. Both drinks were very good and notably “stiffer” than I expected. I guess for $15 per, I’m glad they weren’t weak!

Misc: I need to do a better job of remembering or noting CMs names. Everyone has been EXCELLENT here at OKW. I understand that people say that a lot, but it can’t be understated. It’s one thing to make a request and have someone accommodate. But we’ve already had a few instances of people going above and beyond what you normally get in similar situations. A woman from mousekeeping brought us some additional toiletries for the tub (since it’s across the way and through a door from the wall mounted stuff in the shower lol). She said she couldn’t find conditioner because most of the small bottles are gone now that everything is wall mounted. I said that was no problem at all as we just wanted the bath gel and some soap anyway. Then an hour later, we had a knock at the door and here she was with some. Also, I had to grab our Prime Now order from Bell Services. I mistakenly went to the check in desk (again...first time here!) and the CM politely said that I need to go to bell services. When I apologized for my mistake and said I’d go out there, the CM said, “Here, I’ll take you there. Follow me!” and proceeded to walk me there. Some may possibly view that as patronizing, but I view it as going the extra mile to ensure I went to the right place, got what I was looking for, and thanked me for coming to stay at OKW.

I’m sure I could point out lots of other things, but it’s time for some shut eye. Need to rest up for tomorrow because as my daughter keeps saying, “The wilderness must be explored!”
My home resort is OKW and we just love it there. The CM’s are wonderful and they all treat us so special. Glad you had a great visit and stay.

We've never stayed at OKW but we're toying with the idea for part of our next trip. This thread certainly pushed us closer to saying yes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!