OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

I honestly do not know what section they are officially a part of. Maybe you should request Canal View, or specifically request those buildings by calling Disney and IGNORE the requests section if you do online check-in (as that would over-ride any request that may already exist).
Thank you!

Hi! My family of 6 (2 adults and 4 older kids/teens) will be staying in a 2 bedroom in early January (marathon weekend.) We have a cash reservation so we are not able to book the Hospitality House section.

Are buildings 45 and 46 part of the Penninsular Road section, or South Point Road section? Thank you!
They would be considered South Point.

I’m definitely NOT in favor of a Murphy bed or a sofa bed in the Studios. If they do it in some studios as an option for those who want it, great. But, if they change all the studios to this configuration, that is a major upset. I think it would definitely elicit some negative response from owners.

I’m definitely NOT in favor of a Murphy bed or a sofa bed in the Studios. If they do it in some studios as an option for those who want it, great. But, if they change all the studios to this configuration, that is a major upset. I think it would definitely elicit some negative response from owners.
The Murphy sofa has the same mattress on it, same depth and width as the Queen as the mattress doesn't fold. For all intents and purposes once it is down it is just as good as the Queen. This is the version in the new Pop rooms. Imagine this with a sofa under instead, the sofa all collapses down automatically and 2 children can set up the bed in seconds. I can't see anyone could have objection to this because if you want a queen all the time just leave it down.
Question is, if they do remove a queen will they put this in?
Someone has now claimed a CM has told them the 2 queen's are staying, but that goes against what multiple others were told.
To me it would make a lot of sense to put a proper Murphy in like on this video, as that would be best of both worlds.

The Murphy sofa has the same mattress on it, same depth and width as the Queen as the mattress doesn't fold. For all intents and purposes once it is down it is just as good as the Queen. This is the version in the new Pop rooms. Imagine this with a sofa under instead, the sofa all collapses down automatically and 2 children can set up the bed in seconds. I can't see anyone could have objection to this because if you want a queen all the time just leave it down.
Question is, if they do remove a queen will they put this in?
Someone has now claimed a CM has told them the 2 queen's are staying, but that goes against what multiple others were told.
To me it would make a lot of sense to put a proper Murphy in like on this video, as that would be best of both worlds.

I fully agree, and I'm really looking forward to seeing reports from people staying in newly-renovated rooms. We've stayed at OKW only once or twice but really like it there and could see getting a 2-bedroom to bring family sometime.

According to David's this is the notice put out about the OKW refurb, notice the potential contradiction?
  • Disney's Old Key West Resort is undergoing a refresh and work will continue into summer 2018. During this time it is possible that you will see and hear construction taking place around the resort. Resort staff will attempt to limit any work most likely to cause a noise impact to the hours of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. This refurbishment is expected to be completed in 2019

DVC news has an update on the refurb. Still in the very early stages by the looks of it.
Condo meeting in 5 hours, hopefully some good news will be heard.

Late to this discussion but I would be thrilled by the idea of murphy beds in DVC rooms (not just OKW, but across the board).

Having a real, queen mattress that folds down would be a major improvement over any fold up mattress in a couch. I don't consider a fold out couch to be "luxury accommodations".

1zdymvq.jpg

This doesn't look like a full refurb, more the 'refresh'. Kitchen looks same. Could this be why it went from a 2 year project to 10 months. No news on bed situation.
Intriguing about this new room concept at SSR though.

This doesn't look like a full refurb, more the 'refresh'. Kitchen looks same. Could this be why it went from a 2 year project to 10 months. No news on bed situation.

Looks like new counter tops and appliances but the same cabinets. I suspect the bathroom will be the biggest change, wish they showed that.

According to the posts from the meeting Disney said they are going to get the pull out couch right, whatever that means. They didnt say specifically regarding OKW it was just in general regarding upgrading beds and pillows.

Hopefully they use the much nicer newer pull out chair beds! The new sofa looks much better, much more comfortable.

Hopefully they use the much nicer newer pull out chair beds! The new sofa looks much better, much more comfortable.
That was one thing they did mention. The guy in charge of the renovation said the sleeper sofas would be better, both for sitting and sleeping. Plus they would have two firm and two soft pillows on each bed. But they didn' say of king beds would have king pillows.

I'm extremely disappointed in the new look of Old Contemporary. Everything Key West appear to be gone from the insides.

Yes I've watched the entire meeting now and Mahmood who seems to be the ops guy said they will get the sofa beds right. He didn't say what was happening at OKW though.
This here though couldn't be the Murphy due to the windows. At SSR they are also currently trialling a new sofa bed with improved mattress.
I do hope they put the Murphy in the OKW studio though.
I was surprised they don't seem to be replacing the kitchen cabinets at OKW.

It's not ten months. It isn't supposed to be completed until later in 2019. Ken Potrock said it was a full renovation. Just like Jim Lewis said in 2010. Then they recanted their statement and only did a partial renovation and painted the wooden furniture.

It's not ten months. It isn't supposed to be completed until later in 2019. Ken Potrock said it was a full renovation. Just like Jim Lewis said in 2010. Then they recanted their statement and only did a partial renovation and painted the wooden furniture.
Its strange Deb because the official announcement (see it on Dave's first page) calls it a refresh, and also says it it will be finished summer 2018 and then in 2019 in the same announcement! However, at the meeting, they definitely said it would be finished in 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter