OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

We're staying here for Christmas. Does anyone know if Uber/Lyft can come to your building or if they only pickup/drop off at the main building? I'm going to try to get to HS early and if I have to hoof it to the main building, I need to get up earlier if we're not near the main building.

They will come to your building.

We're staying here for Christmas. Does anyone know if Uber/Lyft can come to your building or if they only pickup/drop off at the main building? I'm going to try to get to HS early and if I have to hoof it to the main building, I need to get up earlier if we're not near the main building.
When we were at OKW last week, an Uber/Lyft picked up guests right in front of the building. They had luggage and the driver picked up the luggage and put it in the trunk (so we knew they weren't family member picking up).

Hello,

Do any one bedrooms have two queen beds instead of the king bed? Thanks!
You won't find two queens in the master bedroom at any DVC resort at this point in time. Future? Don't know. But currently not in any DVC resort. Unless Miss American and Miss Universe stay in a one bedroom and share the king bed.

Staying next week at OKW studio. Wondering which building you'd suggest. Might do pool if warm enough, otherwise no special needs. Thanks.

Staying next week at OKW studio. Wondering which building you'd suggest. Might do pool if warm enough, otherwise no special needs. Thanks.
Well, basically, a studio is a studio is a studio at OKW. There are a handful without a front window in the U-shaped buildings, but there is still plenty of light from the patio/balcony door. There are four pools at OKW, only the main pool has a slide, but they are all nice pools. Assuming you don't have the Near HH category booked, your closest buildings to the main pool would be 15,16, 62, 63, 64, 27, 28 and 29.

Last edited:

Studios are usually at the ends of the buildings other than those U shaped buildings (14, 18, 35 and 38), The studios in those buildings tend to be darker since they are located in the corners of the building (so four on each floor of these three story buildings).

I have to say, we loved the rooms here. So big and the refurb made them very comfortable. The bathroom through the master was a bit odd but workable with just my wife and I in the 1BD (I know some are laid out differently). Even being upstairs wasn't so bad for my wife as the steps were workable for her and I could carry her walked up easily enough. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They really went above and beyond to help us out when we needed it.

However, the bus system drove us mad. We were off Miller road and had to wait forever to get off the bus from the parks. The intra-resort shuttle was spotty at best and the staff didn't always know when it would come. It drove us mad and we ended up using Minnie vans or ride shares to get around. If we ever stay here again, we'd rent a car just to avoid the buses. We did get some rides from the bell services a few times so that helped out a lot. At least getting back to the Hospitality house was quick as we were the last stop but coming back was awful. The roads, as pointed out by the staff, weren't originally meant for buses and so they certainly had a hard time getting around.

I have to say, we loved the rooms here. So big and the refurb made them very comfortable. The bathroom through the master was a bit odd but workable with just my wife and I in the 1BD (I know some are laid out differently). Even being upstairs wasn't so bad for my wife as the steps were workable for her and I could carry her walked up easily enough. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They really went above and beyond to help us out when we needed it.

However, the bus system drove us mad. We were off Miller road and had to wait forever to get off the bus from the parks. The intra-resort shuttle was spotty at best and the staff didn't always know when it would come. It drove us mad and we ended up using Minnie vans or ride shares to get around. If we ever stay here again, we'd rent a car just to avoid the buses. We did get some rides from the bell services a few times so that helped out a lot. At least getting back to the Hospitality house was quick as we were the last stop but coming back was awful. The roads, as pointed out by the staff, weren't originally meant for buses and so they certainly had a hard time getting around.
If you stay again, I'd recommend being near the Turtle Pond or South Point bus stops. To get to the front, simply hop on any Park bus. To get back, walk across the bridge to the Peninsular Road stop and again, hop on any park bus.

Buildings 30 and higher have the second entrance to the master bath, through the laundry room.

Last edited:
We learned a lot now and would stay elsewhere given the chance. We had come in at 6am from the west coast and just wanted the first room available. We'll come in on day flights from now on and try to request something in a better busing location.

We have stayed at OKW for years, and don't have any problems with the bus.
But, we book carefully. Typically, we only book HH, or Miller Road.

We leave for the parks at HH stop. They have a nice "arrival times" sign, and convenient access to coffee and snacks.
We come back at the Pennisular Rd Stop, so we don't have to ride the 15 minute "loop".

Hello,
We are planning our first stay at OKW, normally we stay at value resort. We're a little nervous, we don't know what to expect. We have a few questions:
Room location - We would like to a nice view, near a quiet pool and have a fairly short walk to the Disney springs boat launch. Any suggestions?
Seems like a very large resort. if we were placed at the farthest point for the main lobby how long of a walk is it? and are there trails from each building to the lobby area?
We are brining our special need son's care-giver/nurse and have 2 studios booked. We would like to request room close together if not adjoining. Can you get adjoining studios? If not, how likely will our request be to getting close rooms?
Any overall thoughts on OKW vs Value resorts? My wife is a little hesitant because she feels like the OKW is a bit like staying at a condo and it loses some of the Disney feel.
Thank you in advance.
Mark

Hello,
We are planning our first stay at OKW, normally we stay at value resort. We're a little nervous, we don't know what to expect. We have a few questions:
Room location - We would like to a nice view, near a quiet pool and have a fairly short walk to the Disney springs boat launch. Any suggestions?
Seems like a very large resort. if we were placed at the farthest point for the main lobby how long of a walk is it? and are there trails from each building to the lobby area?
We are brining our special need son's care-giver/nurse and have 2 studios booked. We would like to request room close together if not adjoining. Can you get adjoining studios? If not, how likely will our request be to getting close rooms?
Any overall thoughts on OKW vs Value resorts? My wife is a little hesitant because she feels like the OKW is a bit like staying at a condo and it loses some of the Disney feel.
Thank you in advance.
Mark
There are only a very few studios at are next to each other and they are in Bldg 14, 18, 35 and 38. 35 and 38 are in the Turtle Pond area (four studios per floor and there are three floors). 14 is a near HH booking category (points only). 18 in on Millers Road. These studios are darker inside because they don't have an outside wall except for the wall with the door to the porch. Otherwise, you will be a opposite ends of the building or on different floors, or even different buildings.

There is no food court at OKW, just a small walk up counter near the main pool, a seasonally opened smaller counter service at the Turtle Pond pool and Olivia's which is a table service.

You can hop any OKW bus to get to the HH area. Then walk over to the Peninsular Rd bus stop and hop a bus back to the area where you are staying. Or you can take the Internal bus. The Internal bus functions as both an internal bus and the Disney Springs bus, so if you get on it at the HH, it might be headed to Disney Springs instead of back into the resort. You can walk all around the resort, but you need to stay on the sidewalks. Sometimes the sidewalk will cross the road and will not continue on the same side of the street. Some areas might not have a sidewalk, but then you just walk in the road (no buses head down these roads, but cars will). Kind of like walking through a parking lot.

With your son's care giver going along, you might be better off getting a two bedroom villa, but your son would either sleep in the living room or share the second bedroom with his caregiver (two queen beds in the second bedroom).

We adore OKW and stay there often especially since we own most of our DVC points there. If your son has limited mobility you need to be aware that most of the buildings do not have an elevator. Only three have an elevator 62, 63 and 64 and these do not have studio close to each other. Otherwise, you need a ground floor villa.

In season is usually the summer months, maybe Spring break.

It’s been open in the winter. Dec 2018, it was definitely open, and it was open thanksgiving week too. Maybe it’s seasonal based on temperatures or on hours rather than days?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter