OKW not starting off well

ILoveMyDVC

DIS Veteran
I'm going to do this speech to text so forgive the grammatical errors

number one arrived at 10 p.m. still no room assignment

number two went to desk they had me on ground floor even though every single time I stay in every single time I spoke to them and we're talking about what 18 hours ago I still reiterated my request for the top floor

number 3 they didn't need anything for me to check in I had indeed done it online I'm a pro I've been at this for a long time number for they gave me one of my favorite rooms in the entire Resort I climbed up here dragging all of my luggage -.my choice.- before anybody flames me - to be on the top floor I traveled alone this evening so I hauled it all up

number 5 I did my regular room check because I do travel alone as a female and I want to know what's in the room and was horrified to go in the bedroom and find the balcony door wide open at 10 at night so now I'm waiting for bell services to come to move me to another room in another building because they don't have any others in this building

PS Deb if you see this it is horrible the decor is beyond words it's looks like they took the bed from Polly and the top of the Hope Chest from Grand Floridian clearly the rug and pillows are meant for The Yacht & Beach Resort the rainbow chairs are filthy in the kitchen the granite is from some cheap motel somewhere and it doesn't match so it's one kind on the island and a different kind in the kitchen it really looks disjointed and bad oh it looks like Animal Kingdom valances and shades it looks like they took all the leftovers from all the other Resorts and shove them into here sorry to be such a drag I am thrilled to be here

Quick follow-up before I run out to the grocery store. bBell services came to move me to the new room and I had them come in with me. The balcony door in this room was also unlocked (living) and in the bedroom it wasn't quite shut and also unlocked. at least it wasn't open where I think something came in like the other room but that's three doors in two rooms unlocked.
Oh and the patio light doesn't work

Sometimes you don’t get the villa ready text, it happens, no rhyme or reason for it. Sounds like they had a villa ready for you when you got there at 10 pm, but not where you wanted to be, so they moved you to where you wanted to be and because of the open balcony door you wanted to be moved to a 3rd option?
Hopefully after a nights rest you’ll be settled in and things will be less stressful.

number two went to desk they had me on ground floor even though every single time I stay in every single time I spoke to them and we're talking about what 18 hours ago I still reiterated my request for the top floor

number 3 they didn't need anything for me to check in I had indeed done it online I'm a pro I've been at this for a long time number for they gave me one of my favorite rooms in the entire Resort I climbed up here dragging all of my luggage -.my choice.- before anybody flames me - to be on the top floor I traveled alone this evening so I hauled it all up

number 5 I did my regular room check because I do travel alone as a female and I want to know what's in the room and was horrified to go in the bedroom and find the balcony door wide open at 10 at night so now I'm waiting for bell services to come to move me to another room in another building because they don't have any others in this building

PS Deb if you see this it is horrible the decor is beyond words it's looks like they took the bed from Polly and the top of the Hope Chest from Grand Floridian clearly the rug and pillows are meant for The Yacht & Beach Resort the rainbow chairs are filthy in the kitchen the granite is from some cheap motel somewhere and it doesn't match so it's one kind on the island and a different kind in the kitchen it really looks disjointed and bad oh it looks like Animal Kingdom valances and shades it looks like they took all the leftovers from all the other Resorts and shove them into here sorry to be such a drag I am thrilled to be here

Very SORRY:( that your trip started out like that.. HOPE that you get it resolved and the rest of the trip is WONDERFUL!pixiedust:

I’m not sure why you wanted to be moved to another room just because the balcony door was open. Could it not be locked? Were there bugs everywhere? Simply closing the door and locking it remedies the problem.

I understand some concerns about safety, but is the 3rd floor balcony easily accessible to an intruder on the balcony? Also, is OKW a rougher neighborhood at WDW?

Was your room not ready or did you just not get the text? The former would be an issue, the later just an aggravation at 10 pm. Room assignments are not guaranteed, unreasonable to be moved for that reason alone.

Merged the two duplicate threads.

ILoveMyDVC - Hope today goes better for you.

Sometimes you don’t get the villa ready text, it happens, no rhyme or reason for it. Sounds like they had a villa ready for you when you got there at 10 pm, but not where you wanted to be, so they moved you to where you wanted to be and because of the open balcony door you wanted to be moved to a 3rd option?
Hopefully after a nights rest you’ll be settled in and things will be less stressful.

They moved the first room at the desk before I went to the room because I had asked for upper floor and they had, I quote- 'a plethora of 2 bed villas available'.
The "second" one had the bedroom balcony door wide open with the living room door unlocked.

The third one had the bedroom balcony door closed just until the weather stripping and unlocked. Living room balcony was also unlocked. Patio light and fan do not work. I am in that room now.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why you wanted to be moved to another room just because the balcony door was open. Could it not be locked? Were there bugs everywhere? Simply closing the door and locking it remedies the problem.

I understand some concerns about safety, but is the 3rd floor balcony easily accessible to an intruder on the balcony? Also, is OKW a rougher neighborhood at WDW?

Really? It's been extremely rainy - I checked the room because I always check as a female to make sure nobody is in the room - the door open presumably since 4:00 p.m. or earlier meant any critter escaping the relentless rain could have moved right in. Housekeeping was APPALLED. They told me they were going to send someone to the other room to inspect it

Merged the two duplicate threads.

ILoveMyDVC - Hope today goes better for you.

XOXOX
Phone was weird yesterday - chalking it up to low battery and humidity. Today is awesome! Sun in and out. Disney TV on. Villa is loaded with groceries (lots of fun food for the kids). Just recevied text that my first OL is ready.

I feel you, with the rain, the humidity and the creepy crawlies, I wouldn't have stayed in that villa either! And I never get a text at OKW... I do pre-check in, it's great that you can go straight to your villa, hard to do when you don't know where in the heck it is! Rough start, but things are looking up! Have a marvelous time, even if you can't do anything about the decor. After the last OKW refurb of dark stained re-purposed bargain basement furniture, OKW seems to be the red headed stepchild of DVC resorts. It's a crappy way to treat the "ONE" that started it all! (Ginger's please don't take offense)

Really? It's been extremely rainy - I checked the room because I always check as a female to make sure nobody is in the room - the door open presumably since 4:00 p.m. or earlier meant any critter escaping the relentless rain could have moved right in. Housekeeping was APPALLED. They told me they were going to send someone to the other room to inspect it

My apologies. That’s why I asked in the first place, since I wasn’t quite clear. I’m an outdoor kind of guy and sometimes I forget that things that don’t phase me are a huge deal to others. Again, I’m sorry. Hope you enjoy your stay.

As a solo female traveler, my concern if the balcony door were open is that someone could have snuck in the open door and be hiding somewhere in the villa. Also, no, OKW isn't a "rougher neighborhood", but everyone needs to be vigilant. When we think "nothing bad can happen here -it's WDW" that's when bad things can happen. They can happen anywhere.

As a solo female traveler, my concern if the balcony door were open is that someone could have snuck in the open door and be hiding somewhere in the villa. Also, no, OKW isn't a "rougher neighborhood", but everyone needs to be vigilant. When we think "nothing bad can happen here -it's WDW" that's when bad things can happen. They can happen anywhere.

Certainly agree with you there. Haven’t there been a few murders in Disney’s Celebration Village?

That said, if safety was the larger concern, simply asking someone to check the room would be easier than switching rooms completely (and even the second room had an unlocked door so not much different). Seems like a moot point though since the larger concern appears to be what giant Florida bugs could have gone in there in the 6+ hours it was open, which is a very reasonable issue for many.

We were just at Animal Kingdom a few weekends ago. Our room was delayed in being available and the front desk wasn't sure why. They said the room was "Housekeeping Flagged" for a few hours, when it should have been less than an hour.

The receptionist called Housekeeping and found out that the carpet in the room had been cleaned and they were waiting for it to dry.

I wonder if this was a similar situation and the doors were left open to dry the carpets? Then someone forgot to come around and check it?

As a solo female traveler, my concern if the balcony door were open is that someone could have snuck in the open door and be hiding somewhere in the villa.

As a frequent solo female traveler, EVERY time I return to my room [studio] I check behind the shower curtain, under the bed and in the closet [if I have one] before I can relax. I'm not overly skittish, but it seems wise. Of course, I realize if there is someone hiding they'll probably be able to silence me before I scream anyway; but it's a nice feeling of false security. LOL

As for OP, I too couldn't figure out why you would move just because the balcony door was opened . . . until you mentioned the "critters" that might have come in to dry off. :crazy2: Also, on my solo trips I avoid first floor rooms. Only happened once and when I explained why I was uncomfortable with it there was no problem with reassigning a higher floor room.

Sometimes you don’t get the villa ready text, it happens, no rhyme or reason for it.

I’ve literally never gotten one. And I do online checkin every time.

They are not an absolute. And it doesn’t mean a room wasn’t assigned. Just means it’s not an absolute.

As a solo female traveler, my concern if the balcony door were open is that someone could have snuck in the open door and be hiding somewhere in the villa.

On the third floor?

Seems like a moot point though since the larger concern appears to be what giant Florida bugs could have gone in there in the 6+ hours it was open, which is a very reasonable issue for many.

But any of those bugs could have come in while the previous occupants were there. People do all sorts of things with their balcony doors.

Yes! I check through each room and closet as soon as I check in anywhere including my family's beach house. The only place I don't check it at home as long as both dogs come to the door.
Once I check, I am fine locking the door. Not to so much in Florida on the canal after extreme rain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter