OKW or Saratoga Springs - best balconies?

busy mom

Mouseketeer
Two adults traveling, and are looking for a nice balcony.

We are booking via DVC, and the cost is around the same for both.

We are focusing on these resorts due to proximity to Disney Springs.

I was going to say Old Key West until your last sentence.

I much prefer the look and feel of Old Key West, for no particular reason beyond vibes. It's more casual and comfortable, while Saratoga Springs is a tiny bit more formal feeling.

But if your focus is on proximity to Disney Springs, the answer is definitely Saratoga Springs because it has its own little back door to DS that you can walk right through.

I’d really like thoughts on the balconies at both resorts? I spend a lot of time just relaxing on the balcony, so would love something more secluded, if that’s even possible.

OKW has the largest balconies (as well as the largest rooms) of any DVC resort. I’m not sure how the studio balconies are configured, but if you’re booking a 1BR the balcony is large enough for a dining table and chairs as opposed to a couple of patio chairs and tiny patio table at SSR. I believe the balconies at OKW are screened against mosquitoes and other flying insects, too.

At OKW you can request a view of the golf course. If you book a Standard location at SSR, you can request the same, but only the three or four buildings in the Grandstand section can provide it. You’d have better chance at OKW.

And regarding access to DS, you can walk or boat from SSR. Walking from OKW is tricky and can be done only during the daytime, but the boat takes you to the same place the SSR boat and walkway take you, so I wouldn’t make that the determining factor in my choice.

So based on your comments, I’d recommend OKW.

I’d really like thoughts on the balconies at both resorts? I spend a lot of time just relaxing on the balcony, so would love something more secluded, if that’s even possible.
Only considering the balcony, OKW.

We haven't stayed at OKW but we had a regular size balcony at Saratoga Springs that overlooked the pool. It was quite nice.

Did a studio at SS with a balcony -- cramped, but in good shape. We did a 1B at OKW last summer and LOVED it. We were ground floor, so a covered patio on the golf course. Fabulous! So roomy and inviting. Hands, down, OKW AFAIK.

Although we've stayed at OKW many times (so lots of balconies), none were screened in. But we never had a problem with flying insects.
One thing DH loves to do is hang out on the balcony with his morning coffee and watch the golfers or wildlife-or both.

Attachments

• IMG_2192.jpeg
    IMG_2192.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1520.jpeg
    IMG_1520.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 8
Although we've stayed at OKW many times (so lots of balconies), none were screened in. But we never had a problem with flying insects.
One thing DH loves to do is hang out on the balcony with his morning coffee and watch the golfers or wildlife-or both.
Thanks for the correction - I don’t know why I thought the balconies were screened. It’s been years since we stayed at OKW, so maybe I confused it with somewhere else.

We enjoy our morning coffee on the balcony at OKW.

Good call.

In addition to being larger than any others at DVC, the buildings are also designed so that the balconies are staggered, and you don't really ever see your neighbors.

It is a shame to me that Disney does not screen in the larger balconies - like at Vero Beach - they could use screening it in as well...

Hyatt Bonita Springs does, and it is very helpful. Makes the balcony much more usable.

If they screened in OKW ,,,the screens would need repair everyday....trust me,,my golf balls fly everywhere.

Good call on OKW if just wanting balconies. But with 2 adults think about all things.
We really like both, but SSR with the new murphy beds just give that much more freedom in the studios. There is nothing special about the balconies, but you could request main floor for a little more room.

If you're talking about 1-bedroom and up, the OKW balconies are quite a bit larger than any other DVC - and most look onto trees, golf course, or lakes. If you're talking about studios, the balconies aren't that much larger than Saratoga - maybe a few feet deeper, about the same width.

For privacy, the balconies at OKW are never completely secluded from view - the living room windows of the next-door villa look towards the balconies of the 1-bed villas, and the studio balconies are overlooked by the 1-bedroom villa living room windows. But the views out of both are generally peaceful and scenic.

Saratoga 1-bedroom balconies are mostly not private - when on the balcony, other balconies next door are in line and usually can see each other. Some rooms will look towards lakes, Disney Springs, or forested areas, while others may look at parking lots, pools, or pathways...it depends on what you can get when requesting more scenic views. But there are SOME balconies at Saratoga which can be very private - a few balconies in some buildings along the two wings facing the back of the buildings are 'boxed' - they have walls or bulkheads along the sides and roofs overhead which mean no one next door can see you on your balcony, and if the view is out towards a lake or towards Disney Springs on a higher floor, can be very private and relaxing with nice views. I always request these - but there's of course no guarantee you'll get them.

OKW 1-and 2-bedroom balconies will be the largest on property and it's hard to get a bad view at any of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter